Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
OFA and Media Matters Action Network, just to name 2, are completely political and enjoy their 501c4 status.
And shouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I have no problem with the IRS doing their job, no. If the majority of groups that request tax-free status are liberal or are identified as such, then they should be investigated with all due-diligence.

Didn't address my point though did you?

Do you believe that these groups, most of whom are organized solely for political purposes, should be eligible for tax-free status?

As for the OP, whatever. If the shoe had been on the other foot, you wouldn't have said "peep."
actually I would have said a peep. The government using the IRS to harass groups is fascist and wrong, Had the iRS targets 100% liberal groups I would have a problem and would speak of it as a problem something the left does not see blinded by its desire to have a fascist state

Old 02-14-2014, 09:33 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
And shouldn't.
But they do and were not and ever will be touched by this IRS. See the issue now?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:34 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You're kidding, right?
Not even one bit. I sincerely believe you have been misled by the Me-Too Media and the ridiculous show trials of the IRS hearings.

The IRS has been investigating questionable entities probably since it was first established or authorized to do so. The unfortunate-for-you fact that the VAST majority of the currently-topical questionable entities are ones that someone has labeled "conservative" shouldn't get in the way of those IRA investigations.

I say nail them to the wall. With prejudice.

And that really is no kidding - you've been fooled into thinking there is Yet Another Scandal when actually, no, there isn't. And wasn't. Sure, there certainly have been a lot of WORDS about scandal EVERYWHERE from CNN to FOX to Internet. But that doesn't a real scandal make. And, again unfortunately for you, literally nothing has come out about the IRS actions showing it was a scandal.

In fact, the Insane Party of Hatred and No that are running the hearings won't even give Lerner immunity from prosecution, pretty clearly proving that they know there is nothing to grant immunity from, thus no forced testimony that would help them politically.

So a lot of us are sitting back giggling at the "outrage" of threads/message boards like this knowing full well that the only ones outraged are preaching to each other for nothing but warm-n-fuzzies.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:42 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Conservative or liberal, why are so few people concerned that these groups felt entitled to tax-free status?

That to me is the real "scandal" in all of this.
Entitled? If you pay in more than you owe do you not feel "entitled" to get it back? You are complaining from the wrong end of the horse. They didn't feel "entitled" they simply felt they should have been treated like any other group applying for a lawful exemption.

Your complaint is, why did law makers make groups they knew could help them out in elections become tax exempt?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Correct - all the groups that SOMEONE labeled "liberal" turned out to be legitimate so were not selected for audit.
From the IG and clarification of the BOLO, lists:

Quote:
http://oversight.house.gov/wp-conten...in-6-26-13.pdf
TIGTA's audit report focused on criteria being used by the Internal Revenue
Service (IRS) during the period of May 2010 through May 2012 regarding allegations
that certain groups applying for tax-exempt status were being targeted. We reviewed all
cases that the IRS identified as potential political cases and did not limit our audit to
allegations related to the Tea Party. TIGTA concluded that inappropriate criteria were
used to identify potential political cases for extra scrutiny - specifically, the criteria listed
in our audit report. From our audit work, we did not find evidence that the criteria you
identified, labeled "Progressives," were used by the IRS to select potential political
cases during the 2010 to 2012 timeframe we audited. The "Progressives" criteria
appeared on a section of the "Be On the Look Out" (BOLO) spreadsheet labeled
"Historical," and, unlike other BOLO entries, did not include instructions on how to refer
cases that met the criteria. While we have multiple sources of information corroborating
the use of Tea Party and other related criteria we described in our report, including
employee interviews, e-mails, and other documents, we found no indication in any of
these other materials that "Progressives" was a term used to refer cases for scrutiny for
political campaign intervention.

Based on the information you flagged regarding the existence of a "Progressives"
entry on BOLO lists, TIGTA performed additional research which determined that
six tax-exempt applications filed between May 2010 and May 2012 having the words
"progress" or "progressive" in their names were included in the 298 cases the IRS
identified as potential political cases. We also determined that 14 tax-exempt
applications filed between May 2010 and May 2012 using the words "progress" or
"progressive" in their names were not referred for added scrutiny as potential political
cases. In total, 30 percent of the organizations we identified with the words "progress"
or "progressive" in their names were processed as potential political cases. In
comparison, our audit found that 100 percent of the tax-exempt applications with Tea
Party, Patriots, or 9/12 in their names were processed as potential political cases during
the timeframe of our audit.

That's ok to be wrong though because the liberal media while going on a frenzy about the existence of the terms progressive on these lists never followed it up...

Old 02-14-2014, 09:55 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
If you believe any one of these groups under investigation by the IRS are social welfare groups that deserve tax exempt status then I have a summer home in the Arctic to sell you.

Go IRS, get the cheaters. Go Congress, clarify the law.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
If you believe any one of these groups under investigation by the IRS are social welfare groups that deserve tax exempt status then I have a summer home in the Arctic to sell you.

And why shouldn't the other side get to play by the same rules the Dems do ?

Was ACORN a social welfare group ?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post

That is fine as long as there is equal application of the law, the issue here is there isn't equal application of the law.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:58 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
I have no problem with the IRS doing their job, no. If the majority of groups that request tax-free status are liberal or are identified as such, then they should be investigated with all due-diligence.

Didn't address my point though did you?

Do you believe that these groups, most of whom are organized solely for political purposes, should be eligible for tax-free status?

As for the OP, whatever. If the shoe had been on the other foot, you wouldn't have said "peep."
Wrong, I'm not a partisan lap dog who looks the other way at government corruption, I'm an American citizen first.

If you read some of my other posts you'd see I have been very, very critical of the inept fools in the GOP leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies