Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 02:11 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Well they have 32,899 signed up and knowing Idaho most probably vote Republican. Most are getting a subsidy or in other words keeping their money instead of sending it to the government. 9% are paying the full rate.
How the hell do you know how they vote?

You need to curb your wild ASSumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 02:17 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Its his stupid legacy.

I would have more respect for him if he said, "You know, it hasn't worked out like I thought it would, lets try something else."

But to keep jerking people around and their lives around for his freakin legacy?

The man has no morals or ethics but most of all, no common sense.
Comrade obama doesn't care about his legacy. He is a good little communist soldier who will sacrifice his all to do his part in the destruction of America. No matter what the history books say about him, he got the boulder running rapidly down hill and it's going to be very difficult to stop, once he is finished. When America is lost, it will be his people writing the history books and he will be star for having fundamentally changing America, to a third world country...

Old 02-14-2014, 02:26 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Child, please.

Idaho has signed up a whopping 19,922 Idahoans in their exchange, an exchange that has been active since April. Not exactly numbers to gloat about.

On top of that, there's this:

"While some of those enrollees have seen cheaper coverage, many have been shocked by skyrocketing rates.
Insurance companies tell us despite the title, this law is not necessarily aimed at affordability."

What.....wait? Where's my $2500/yr. savings that your boy promised me?

During our coverage of the exchange, we've talked with people, like Joel Lund, frustrated that his options on the exchange cost much more than his previous plan.

"We're going to go from $770 a month which we were paying up until October, to about $1,300. I don't see how this helps," said Lund.

Dafuq? No savings?? Looks like Mr. Lund is going to be paying an extra $6,360 a year in premiums. Doesn't sound so "affordable" to me, but hey, maybe the insurance company will make it up to him by sending over blonde college girls dressed like nurses to his house 4 times a year for a "checkup".
That was a one time story in Idaho before the exchanges were even running. A family of four with two adults age 40 would pay $8400 per year which is less than he was paying. As a small businessman he can also take a deduction where many people who work a job or have other income get no deduction. I wish there were follow-ups on these Obamacare horror stories, when there are most prove to have flaws. 32,899 other people have signed up with most getting subsidies and this is in a very red state. Romney received 64% of the vote in 2012. Obama didnt even get a third of the voters.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Well they have 32,899 signed up and knowing Idaho most probably vote Republican. Most are getting a subsidy or in other words keeping their money instead of sending it to the government. 9% are paying the full rate.
And who is paying the freight for the 91% that aren't paying full rate, borre? It sure isn't the "young invincibles" providing the premiums to subsidize the shortfall. The president said those young people would be needed to make the ACA work financially. They have opted out in droves....the young who voted whole heartedly for Obama.

According to the most recent numbers out of the White House, about 3 million Americans have signed up for healthcare on the government exchanges and only about 25 percent of those enrollees are under the age of 35. This is far short of the numbers the Obama administration needs to keep healthcare costs low. Once the law is fully implemented it needs around 2.7 million young adults to be enrolled. The total number currently enrolled is just barely above that.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-14-2014 at 02:51 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 02:44 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
I live in Idaho. I have yet....... Never mind. Just let borregokid tell us all about my family.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I live in Idaho. I have yet....... Never mind. Just let borregokid tell us all about my family.
He is an Obamabot. If his hero spouts it, he parrots it regardless if its true or not.

More than likely its a pack of lies.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:22 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,858,077 times
Quote:
That was a one time story in Idaho before the exchanges were even running. A family of four with two adults age 40 would pay $8400 per year which is less than he was paying. As a small businessman he can also take a deduction where many people who work a job or have other income get no deduction. I wish there were follow-ups on these Obamacare horror stories, when there are most prove to have flaws. 32,899 other people have signed up with most getting subsidies and this is in a very red state. Romney received 64% of the vote in 2012. Obama didnt even get a third of the voters.

Actually, that example was pulled from the link you posted, and the story was written on Dec. 4, 2013, and updated on Dec. 5, 2013. In other words, this story was written EIGHT FULL MONTHS AFTER the exchange in Idaho was running. We don't need a follow-up to this story, because that's what this guy is paying.

And where did you pull the 32,899 number from? Again, the link YOU sent out -- dated Feb. 5, 2014 -- contradicts your number:

"The latest update from Your Health Idaho shows nearly 19,922 Idahoans have enrolled on the exchange."

In a state with 200,000 uninsured, I don't think 19,922 enrolled is a success story for Obamacare.

"Have faith, Obamabots, and let's not let facts get in the way of my agenda. I welcome the efforts of all of you, and wish you luck as you climb up the ladder to success."

-- Barack "Cess" Obama

Old 02-14-2014, 03:31 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Actually, that example was pulled from the link you posted, and the story was written on Dec. 4, 2013, and updated on Dec. 5, 2013. In other words, this story was written EIGHT FULL MONTHS AFTER the exchange in Idaho was running. We don't need a follow-up to this story, because that's what this guy is paying.

And where did you pull the 32,899 number from? Again, the link YOU sent out -- dated Feb. 5, 2014 -- contradicts your number:

"The latest update from Your Health Idaho shows nearly 19,922 Idahoans have enrolled on the exchange."

In a state with 200,000 uninsured, I don't think 19,922 enrolled is a success story for Obamacare.

"Have faith, Obamabots, and let's not let facts get in the way of my agenda. I welcome the efforts of all of you, and wish you luck as you climb up the ladder to success."

-- Barack "Cess" Obama

Heres a link to the 32, 899 signed up from the State website.

Idaho Second in the Nation Per Capita, More than 30,000 Idahoans Selected a Health Exchange Plan | Your Health Idaho

Idaho did not expand Medicaid so those are ACA numbers and not a combination. Montana which is also doing very well with signups also did not expand Medicaid.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:58 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
I'm a native Idahoan.
Here are some facts.
Idaho has the 2nd lowest wages in the nation.
We have the lowest education levels in the nation.
The Idaho Legislature will never raise taxes, period.

Those 3 elements have combined to create a very serious strain on our present economy and our chances of future growth. We are losing our best wage earners to other states, and we are also losing our best teachers to other states as well. As a result, we now have a lot of aging folks who have no retirement income and a lot of young folks who are barely getting by. Our best workers are finding better paying jobs in Wyoming, Utah, Oregon and Washington. We are left with the young folks who never graduated high school and can't afford to leave as our future revenue base.
Many fully employed citizens have no health insurance, as Idaho does not have lots of large employers and is a Right to Work state.

For 30 years, no new taxes has been the Republican mantra, and woe be unto any state legislator who proposes a tax increase. As a result, the state has shuffled tax revenues from one agency to another, especially with draining the educational funding into other places, and the results have not been good. There is a limit to how much can be saved or shaved away, and Idaho reached that limit several years ago.

The low wages have caused deep strains on all the counties here, as the counties are primarily responsible for paying indigent medical costs. The state assists the counties through Idaho's Medicare system, but it too was being strained to the limits.

By choosing a state-adminstered ACA, Idaho gets federal Medicaid assistance from the federal government. Medicaid will be eventually folded in to the ACA at the federal level. If Idaho had opted out of a state exchange, the state would have to go it alone on the steadily rising costs of paying for the indigent medical costs.

Some states have the financial means to opt out. Idaho does not. At the last hour of the last day, the state Legislature faced the facts and caved in because we need the money. It is illegal to deny medical help to anyone, whether they can pay for it or not.
The state bet the bank on the ACA law failing in the Supreme Court decision. The Legislature made no provisions at all for the possibility the law would be upheld, so we had no plans for building up our Medicaid reserve fund to the levels needed to pay the bills by ourselves alone. When the law was upheld, Idaho either had to sign up as a state operated exchange or allow the Feds to run Idaho's exchange with no say-so from Boise.

The legislators all hated accepting the facts like swallowing arsenic, but the only other choice was to raise taxes. So they caved in.

Don't let the numbers fool you. The last one I read was 34,000 folks have signed up. That number may not be impressive to someone who lives in a state with 10 million people, but 34,000 is, for us, the equivalent of one of our larger cities here.

I fully expect to see the number triple by the end of this year, and by 2015, Idahoans will have more options than present, with more insurers joining.

Joining the system has also had another benefit. Some of the funds that were once necessary for state Medicaid have now been transferred to our Dept. of Education so we can start re-building it again. And no new taxes were needed.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:00 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,858,077 times
Quote:
Heres a link to the 32, 899 signed up from the State website.

Idaho Second in the Nation Per Capita, More than 30,000 Idahoans Selected a Health Exchange Plan | Your Health Idaho

Idaho did not expand Medicaid so those are ACA numbers and not a combination. Montana which is also doing very well with signups also did not expand Medicaid.
I see that, but I still don't take this as good news.

First, as of Feb. 14th, 2014, Idaho has approx. 15% of their uninsureds enrolled (30,000 out of 200,000).

Second, 91% of those enrolled are requiring financial assistance. NINETY-ONE percent!!! As a taxpayer, that's not a number I want to see.

Third, right now, Idaho has a 55/45% ratio for female/male. Females are cheaper to insure later on, more expensive to insure earlier on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies