Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The world is upside down!

You don't understand that YOUR side is the tyrannical side! YOUR side is the anti-liberty side on this issue. It is YOU who are fighting against equal rights for tax paying citizens! Do not EVER kid yourself into thinking you guys are anything less than tyrants, as it is YOU who is casually making decisions and fighting against something in a way that negatively affects and harms gay families EVERY DAY.

And by the way, fearing "hardening opinion against gay rights" is not something people worry about, because yours is a minority opinion, rapidly diminishing with each old person that slips into senility or the next world. Demographics are not on your side on this issue. Under 35s simply do not have the hang up on this issue that you and the older folks do.
So will you be the tyrant then, if your arbitrary definition of marriage is that two people can marry, but not three? Will you allow same-sex siblings to marry? At some point you will decide what the function and purpose of marriage is to you, and you'll arrive at a definition of marriage, and if you disagree with someone else then remember your post.

Marriage has a function, it has a purpose, is has a definition, and when the people arrive at it, as a society, then that will dictate how the law will be written. not some simple majority court decision by some judges who have their own definitions.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Equality under the law > your "feeeeeeeeeelings" and what you're personally "comfortable with."

"Separate is inherently unequal," even if the majority of the time was "more comfortable" with that regime!
Our laws are not based strictly on equality to all, otherwise welfare would be for all, ObamaCare subsidies would be for all, insurance rates would be equal for all. We already have laws which are separate for men and women, for rich for poor, white from brown, for everything under the sun. Why, because of the way we defined the purpose of the law, the function of those laws.

You are just redefining what marriage is, to arrive at this argument of equality. Redefine what poor is so you can get yourself an ACA health care premium subsidy.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:14 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Resorting to tyranny is not winning. Many people have no problem with domestic partnerships, and if you made your case in a logical, common sensed manner, you would have them. But using the courts to ram this down people's throats will only harden people against you, including people who were previously leaning in your direction or sitting on the fence.
The courts JOB is to determine if laws are constitutional. They are doing their job. Sorry if you don't agree with their decision, but that is the way it is.

If you want to discuss tyranny, then lets discuss who is being tyrannical. Which side id forcing anything on anyone? IF SSM is legal what is being forced on you or anyone else? Will you be forced to marry someone of the same sex? Will you be forced to attend a same sex wedding? Will you be forced to even like a same sex couple?
No, you won't.
If SSM is not legal I am being prevented from enjoying the same legal protections a heterosexual couple has. That is unconstitutional.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:26 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
So instead of trying to push domestic partnerships, something many more people approve of, you choose to go the most confrontational route and **** off as many people as possible?

This is not about racism. If people define marriage as the union of a man and a woman who will create the children to be raised as the next generation of citizens, then skin, eye or hair color are irrelevant.
Try being practical for a second. Even if domestic partnerships, civil unions, whatever you call them, were approved by most states and given the exact same state rights as marriage, they'd still be unrecognized by the feds. The chance of Congress passing a law to recognize those arrangements ? 0%.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Exactly. Stop saying we should have gone for civil unions as they were denied.
Poor argument. You cannot claim you gave up on domestic partnerships, so now you are pushing for a traditional marriage if you were denied in some states there as well. The truth is there are many more people open to, and even in favor of domestic partnerships, including me. If you pushed for that, and stopped trying to impose your agenda by going around the people thru the courts, you'd have much more success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Those that don't "approve of homosexual lifestyles" will always deny us any kind of union, be that civil, domestic partnership or marriage. Just admit it. We don't always have to agree on everything, but we can't deny people equal rights under the law in America. Gay marriage does nothing to your marriage and affects you in no way. It's happening and all this will soon be forgotten and your types will move on to denying rights to another group of tax paying American citizens because it's hard to believe that not everyone abides by what you think is right.
Those people are in the minority. Constitutional conservatives like myself do not have any animosity toward gays. We are in favor of domestic partnerships as a way of protecting a couple's property rights, inheritance rights etc... It's the religious cons who thump the Bible or Quran who oppose gays based on nothing but their religion.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Our laws are not based strictly on equality to all, otherwise welfare would be for all, ObamaCare subsidies would be for all, insurance rates would be equal for all. We already have laws which are separate for men and women, for rich for poor, white from brown, for everything under the sun. Why, because of the way we defined the purpose of the law, the function of those laws.

You are just redefining what marriage is, to arrive at this argument of equality. Redefine what poor is so you can get yourself an ACA health care premium subsidy.
Oh quit whining, it has no affect on you whatsoever.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Ya know what, that's just the kind of crap we hear all the time anymore, which is pointless. WHY do you feel compelled to let everyone know it?? Why can't you simply be happy with who you are, regardless of your gender, or orientation??? IS it really necessary for you to stick your preference in our faces??? I do not mind that there are gays or lesbians, as long as I'm left alone by them. I'm a very large, masculine,straight male. I play pool for fun and a hobby. Last year on two occasions I was forced to severely hurt guys who I had no clue were gay. (I don't have gaydar I guess) Everything was just fine until an out of the blue questions were asked and he pushed for a reply, and a physical injustice was implied. Why the hell does this go on? It resulted in a painful night for him. He'll never do that again in public with someone he doesn't know. Being blatant with your sexual orientation on a straight person can be a dangerous proposition,and it just isn't necessary to point this out to us straight folks.

So you beat them up, simply because you thought he was hitting on you? Why not just simply say, "umm sorry dude" I don't swing that way?

Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
So you beat them up, simply because you thought he was hitting on you? Why not just simply say, "umm sorry dude" I don't swing that way?
Because they're insecure in their own sexuality. People who are secure with themselves don't feel the need to lash out at others physically, they take things in stride.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:04 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times
Quote:
Poor argument. You cannot claim you gave up on domestic partnerships, so now you are pushing for a traditional marriage if you were denied in some states there as well. The truth is there are many more people open to, and even in favor of domestic partnerships, including me. If you pushed for that, and stopped trying to impose your agenda by going around the people thru the courts, you'd have much more success.

Those people are in the minority. Constitutional conservatives like myself do not have any animosity toward gays. We are in favor of domestic partnerships as a way of protecting a couple's property rights, inheritance rights etc... It's the religious cons who thump the Bible or Quran who oppose gays based on nothing but their religion.
I personally don't care, call it whatever you want, as long as my female partner is treated like a husband would be treated in the eyes of the law. If my partner and I get all of the protections that marriage would provide, but it's called domestic partnership certificate instead, I don't care. However, others do. It makes sense to push for marriage, since the government already has laws in place for that. On the other hand, why shouldn't I get what you and your wife have (I'm assuming you are male) just because some people don't like it or aren't open to it. You have to realize that we live in a very diverse world and what you like or are open to really does't matter outside of your personal existence. There are things that people do that I don't like, but how is it fair for me to deny them happiness in this world? This is what your type are trying to do.

And please stop with the "agenda." My only "agenda" is to have the same rights as straight couples do when it comes to our finances, our kids etc. Why do we have to jump through hoops to have what you and many others take for granted. I don't really care to get married as it is, but unfortunately if we do not, my partner can't get my SS benefits in the event of my death, would have to deal with custody issues with our kids, I can't contribute to an IRA for her if she's not working etc etc. How is this fair. You have no clue.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Because they're insecure in their own sexuality. People who are secure with themselves don't feel the need to lash out at others physically, they take things in stride.

It could be that is the case. I mean, were it me, I'd simply tell the guy, "sorry but I don't swing that way."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies