Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 08:41 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

You want to stump a liberal? Simply ask them to explain in detail what factors contribute to off-shoring and automation. Ask them to explain how making an employee more expensive affects that when they have no control over the cost of automated machinery and over-seas pay.
They're never stumped for an answer.

Their answer to ALL problems is the accusation of "greed". That is, a moral judgement of people whom they do not know, based upon the fact that they don't like the present conditions so they rush to judgment of others, sight unseen, without any actual knowledge.

Sowell famously said that he never understood why it was "greed" to keep what you worked for, but not greed to demand what someone else worked for. The same cognitive dissonance is a foundation of liberal's moral judgments of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 AM

804 posts, read 618,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Best they sit at home and do nothing, then?
AT $4 / hr ? Yes. At $4 an hr/ $32 / day they should stay home. The gas they would burn going to work, congestion they would create on public roads in reality offsets any benefit to society for their $4 / hr "work".

Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Obviously employers would pay their employees the lowest wage possible,....
Massive fail.

If employers wanted to pay the lowest wage possible, then all hourly wage earners in the US would be making only the minimum wage and nothing more.

But that isn't the case.....so your claim is refuted.

Quote:
As for paying them what they are worth?
Economic ignorance.

People are paid for the value of their labor, not the value of their self-worth.

Quote:
how do you determine that factor?, many minimum wage jobs i've had over the years have involved some brutally hard work.
Inputs, Outputs and Supply & Demand mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
That's if they have a home in the first place.
If they are that pathetic then hopefully for them Darwin works his magic faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
You probably don't realize what you saying? Why do we have so many loud, uneducated people in America today?
Because LWNJs like you destroyed the education system.

Quote:
Paying people 4 or 5 an hour? Horrible. How do you survice on 40x $4? It would turn America into a third world country.
You can survive.

Your own government disses you and says some single Americans can survive on $4.55/hour.

You don't even know what a 3rd World State is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Yay! Lets be more like China and the Philipins! Lets start paying millions a slave wage and destroy the middle class!
Prove they are "slave wages."

Quote:
What a lovely, seemingly right wing Republican prospect.
Economics is apolitical and for the record, I'm a registered Democrat.

Quote:
They say the minimum wage law is bad. Bad for who? Big businesses who make huge profits already?
Small businesses make up:

99.7 percent of U.S. employer firms,
64 percent of net new private-sector jobs,
49.2 percent of private-sector employment,
42.9 percent of private-sector payroll,
46 percent of private-sector output,
43 percent of high-tech employment,
98 percent of firms exporting goods, and
33 percent of exporting value.

Source: SBA Office of Advocacy Frequently Asked Questions, September 2012

Office of Advocacy - Frequently Asked Questions - Frequently Asked Questions about Small Business | SBA.gov

Just thought I'd inject this important reality into your fantasy.

Quote:
Middle class americans who would see wages go down? They want a competitive market...well why doesnt it compete now? Theres nothing stopping employers from competing now, it just has to be above 7.25.
It's hard to compete against Middle Class Romanians making $1.40/hour or Middle Class Filipinos making $0.90/hour.

Quote:
So why not offer your employess 8 or 9 instead to attract better workers?
That is not always possible.

Additionally.....do you not see how you just harmed a large segment of your society?

I'll pay $7.25/hour to an high school drop-out.

Force me to pay $8/hour? The high school drop-out can go to hell. I want someone with a GED.

Force me to pay $9/hour? GEDs can suck pond water.....I want someone with an high school diploma.

Force me to pay $10/hour? Those with HS diplomas can bite me....I want someone with at least 2 quarters or 1 semester of college.

Not impressed...

Mircea

Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Stats from the Bureau of Labor Statistics

Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey

Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey

Eliminating the minimum wage would hardly effect our economy at all. It would effect less than 3% of adult workers. The free market has already ensured the majority of us (ones who do not have mush for brains) earn more than the minimum wage.

The only thing the minimum wage does is prevent jobs existing where there would be no profit at the current minimum wage.

At some point those who support the minimum wage must ask themselves why they wish to prevent an extremely low-skilled moron the dignity of having a job.
Well in the liberal mind that's a good thing. Who wants to be tied down to a stupid job and have to work for a living when you can live freely (off other people's work) and not be job-locked...

I think what liberals fail to see is that decreasing the supply of workers by putting them to work increases wages. They love to look at FDR and talk about all that good he did for the economy and jobs. Wages and savings increased to a point where FDR implemented wage and price controls because there was a shortage of labor for the war effort.

No, we're not at war but that doesn't mean you wouldn't get the same or similar results from obolishing the minimum wage.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:46 AM

Pnwmdk,

Just out of sheer curiosity, where is you economic knowledge coming from?

Was it a college level course? Book on Amazon or simply Fox News education programming?

Seriously, dude. Where is your knowledge of economics coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
This is neither obvious nor correct.

That's up the the employer and employee.

So? What does that matter?

The value of a job is the economic value. Digging ditches is brutally hard work, but it is of almost no economic value, since a machine does it much faster and better for little cost.

Comprehende?

Old 02-16-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
AT $4 / hr ? Yes. At $4 an hr/ $32 / day they should stay home. The gas they would burn going to work, congestion they would create on public roads in reality offsets any benefit to society for their $4 / hr "work".
^^^^

And here we finally reveal the arrogant social planner, who, considers himself so worthy and so infallible he is endowed with the power to control what others do "for the good of society".

Like I have said before, people with no comprehension of and having no life experience, but still possessing a belief they are qualified to run everyone else's lives for them, is THE definitive cause for our current political hostilities.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Pnwmdk,

Just out of sheer curiosity, where is you economic knowledge coming from?

Was it a college level course? Book on Amazon or simply Fox News education programming?

Seriously, dude. Where is your knowledge of economics coming from?
Nearly 4 decades of real world experience in businesses large and small.

I bet yours came out of a book. Until you have learned about life via experience... YOU KNOW NOTHING.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Massive fail.

If employers wanted to pay the lowest wage possible, then all hourly wage earners in the US would be making only the minimum wage and nothing more.

But that isn't the case.....so your claim is refuted.
Of course employers want to pay employees as little as they can. Its called maximizing your resources.

Where here you last 300 years, genius? lol

Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well in the liberal mind that's a good thing. Who wants to be tied down to a stupid job and have to work for a living when you can live freely (off other people's work) and not be job-locked...

I think what liberals fail to see is that decreasing the supply of workers by putting them to work increases wages. They love to look at FDR and talk about all that good he did for the economy and jobs. Wages and savings increased to a point where FDR implemented wage and price controls because there was a shortage of labor for the war effort.

No, we're not at war but that doesn't mean you wouldn't get the same or similar results from obolishing the minimum wage.
Seriously, at this point, it's not about that.

At this point, they have found that their patron voters are ignorant, gullible, and brainwashed, and this is nothing other than a play to the least competent people on earth, hoping that between the wanna-be dictators and the wanna-be dependents, they can muster a majority to lock in their power and control.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Of course employers want to pay employees as little as they can. Its called maximizing your resources.

Where here you last 300 years, genius? lol
LOL!!!!

I bet you got that out of a book, tv show, video, or website.

In the real world, however... LOL! You'd be an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies