Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think marijuana should be legal in all 50 states?
Yes 89 81.65%
No 20 18.35%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 12:20 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,526,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I am all for people making informed choices, but they have to realise that smoking cannabis involves health risks, so if they smoke cannabis and develop lung cancer or other health problems when they are older then they shouldn't start kicking up a fuss or trying to sue people. They are just going to have to accept that it's a risk.

Does smoking cannabis cause cancer? : Cancer Research UK : CancerHelp UK
Once again, enough research in the USA has already been conducted to determine with certainty that smoking marijuana does not cause lung cancer. Anybody who disagrees is simply uninformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 04:04 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,855,556 times
I have never smoked marijuana so I don't know what effect it has on the body, personally. However, I was just reading about the issue regarding NC and apparently it was shot down before they could debate it.

Marijuana Policy Project (NC)

I am on several medications because of an injury sustained four years ago and I'm very concerned about my quality of life and the long-term side effects of so many different drugs. It is my understanding that doctors spend very little time on pharmacology in medical school and really don't understand/know about the long-term risks associated with the drugs they are prescribing. I don't know if marijuana would help or not, but why should anybody in serious pain be denied the option to explore anything that might help and potentially not harm? I'm not willing to risk going to jail over it but I think it's only fair that our legislators are allowed to discuss the issue.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:28 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,790,433 times
It's a tough one. I'm under the impression that alcohol seems to be worse for people than marijuana, but marijuana, especially when it becomes a habit, can affect someone's intelligence. I don't see how it's made anything better where I live, but the up-side that I see is that if it is legal, one can buy it from licensed establishments and avoid getting involved with shady drug dealers on the streets and possibly ending up with marijuana that's been laced with something else.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:17 AM

702 posts, read 724,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
It's a tough one. I'm under the impression that alcohol seems to be worse for people than marijuana, but marijuana, especially when it becomes a habit, can affect someone's intelligence. I don't see how it's made anything better where I live, but the up-side that I see is that if it is legal, one can buy it from licensed establishments and avoid getting involved with shady drug dealers on the streets and possibly ending up with marijuana that's been laced with something else.
Long term alcohol abuse causes dementia and degenerative liver disease. Short term, if you ingest way too much you will get alcohol poisoning and die. Alcohol causes some people to become violent and aggressive. Alcohol is also addictive. Alcohol is more dangerous a drug in EVERY single way. It was made illegal and a crime empire was built on it. Many people died in gang wars, went to jail for drinking, the use of alcohol went underground. The only people who made out better due to prohibition were the suppliers and gang leaders -- innocent people suffered, law enforcement suffered.

And here we are repeating the same thing. A plant that grows out of the dirt is illegal to have possession of. A plant that can't kill anyone. A plant that at best makes you laugh and feel happy. And at worst makes you hungry and forget where you put the remote.

I still say, give it around 20 years and in most states it will be decriminalized for recreational use.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,941,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
Long term alcohol abuse causes dementia and degenerative liver disease. Short term, if you ingest way too much you will get alcohol poisoning and die. Alcohol causes some people to become violent and aggressive. Alcohol is also addictive. Alcohol is more dangerous a drug in EVERY single way. It was made illegal and a crime empire was built on it. Many people died in gang wars, went to jail for drinking, the use of alcohol went underground. The only people who made out better due to prohibition were the suppliers and gang leaders -- innocent people suffered, law enforcement suffered.

And here we are repeating the same thing. A plant that grows out of the dirt is illegal to have possession of. A plant that can't kill anyone. A plant that at best makes you laugh and feel happy. And at worst makes you hungry and forget where you put the remote.

I still say, give it around 20 years and in most states it will be decriminalized for recreational use.

Given the trend, I'd say less than that. 5-10 years. Just wait until other states see how Colorado and Washington are reaping the benefits of legalized cannabis. As for taking something to help make you laugh, or feel happy, well... to some, doing so makes you a loser.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:10 AM

702 posts, read 724,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Given the trend, I'd say less than that. 5-10 years. Just wait until other states see how Colorado and Washington are reaping the benefits of legalized cannabis. As for taking something to help make you laugh, or feel happy, well... to some, doing so makes you a loser.
The same's wives are downing Xanax with their mimosa and taking a Vicodin to help them sleep. It's a joke.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,589,733 times
I think that is up to states to decide. Some will and some won't ;hopefully mine won't.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,941,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
The same's wives are downing Xanax with their mimosa and taking a Vicodin to help them sleep. It's a joke.
It is a joke. Weed is a much safer alternative to help with anxiety, as well as a good sleeping aide. That other s*** can kill you in high doses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think that is up to states to decide. Some will and some won't ;hopefully mine won't.

I agree. Let the states decide. Though it would be stupid for any state to do so, given the revenue opportunity, and untapped market for cultivation and distribution.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:52 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,370,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I agree. Let the states decide. Though it would be stupid for any state to do so, given the revenue opportunity, and untapped market for cultivation and distribution.
While I do agree that every State should make their own decision in regard to marijuana, not every State is looking to profit from someone's drug use.

Marijuana, for for example, has been decriminalized in Alaska for "personal use" since 1975. By "personal use" they mean 25 or fewer growing plants and no more than an ounce of processed marijuana in possession. You can grow marijuana, possess a limited amount, and smoke or eat it in the privacy of your own home without worrying about the State intruding on your privacy. It is also illegal to sell, since selling marijuana would constitute "commercial use."

That was the impetus behind the decriminalization of marijuana in Alaska for "personal use," the right to privacy guaranteed under Article I, Section 22 of the Alaska State Constitution.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:27 AM

318 posts, read 635,518 times
I could care less about marijuana. I am not going to protest in front of the White House or the building of my state capital to demand it be legalized. At the same time I am not going to call the cops if I see my next door neighbor smoking weed, its her or his life.

Since I do not smoke weed, it is not really a cause that I get passionate about. Just like I don't expect someone who would never be open to buying a gun for themselves, to be passionate about protecting the civil liberties of legal gun owners to have a right to carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies