Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 02:37 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You also have to apply the scientific method correctly as well as be open to your original hypothesis being proven incorrect or flawed. It's also a no-no if you cook the variables.
Science is a mass occupation these days employing millions of Ph.D.s in many countries. If a scientist is close-minded and crooky there are dozens of eager and hungry ones looking for something publishable. Self-correction is imminent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 03:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
A method can't be a liar.
Yes, it can.

You can design a method in such a way as to skew the results. Discovery of flawed methodology --intentional or not -- occurs when others use your method to replicate your results and cannot.

The failed hypothesis used for "Global Warming" cannot and has not been replicated, indicating the method is seriously flawed, if not intentionally skewed.

Quote:
It can lead to wrong conclusions from time to time, but the beauty of scientific method - it's self-correcting, unlike the talk radio clowns whose opinion you value so much.
It's self-correcting only so long as no interference exists....and whether that interference is the Imperial Roman Catholic Church or the Useless Nations makes no difference.

I have better things to do than listen to radio or watch TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
In other words, you do not have any formal training in any of the sciences you speak of? Save, of course, for surfing the net?
Formal training is not required to evaluate evidence for anything and make a decision about anything.

I wasn't a cannon-cocker, but I had enough basic knowledge to ask battery commanders, FOs and fire support teams questions and understand what they were saying, so that I could incorporate fires into our operational plan.

Quote:
Therefore we can burn all the fossils and fear nothing. I believe something is missing in your train of thoughts.
That's because you have introduced a Red Herring.

And a Straw Man.

And, of course, Whirled Peas.

No one ever said or implied fossil fuels can be burned without fear, rather the issue is fossil fuels can be burned without turning Earth into a Shake-n-Bake Oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It's been debunked??? Well that is news to me! Sorry but I reject your reality and substitute my own....The ice continues to melt, the seas continue to rise, the earth continues to warm, as do the oceans....Only the ignorant intentionally ignore these facts.
And only the ignorant choose to ignore that this is the coldest ever Inter-Glacial Period on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
why does the american left act as if there is a magical thermostat that we can control?
Because they are control freaks.

If it were up to them, we'd have to follow their instructions on how to wipe and how to form our poo into an environmental-friendly shape for recycling.

Retentively....

Mircea

Old 02-16-2014, 04:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Typical mindless leftist ranting.

Excuse me, I have trash to burn.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
First, you have a trouble making a distinction between "environmental impact" and "global warming". It's a conditioned reflex you should overcome. Second, you are very shortsighted (most likely you have children too). Regardless if globe is warming as of 2014, burning all the fossils humans can unearth guarantees (runaway?) warming in the future.
There is no evidence to support that claim.

Quote:
What part of "Global Warming" you can't understand?
What part of "Inter-Glacial Period" do you not understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Except that there are ozone holes over the Arctic during the winter, when the sun is not shining. Just like the Antarctic. No sunlight, no ozone. It has absolutely nothing to do with humans.
Ah, that was it. Yeah, the Ozone stupidity was debunked 20+ years ago. I forgot most of it.

Quote:
I'm saying that humans are impacting environment on the global scale, climate including.
Humans are not impacting climate.

Quote:
... that are likely ...
Those are called "Weasel Words."

"are likely" is not the same thing as "shall cause," or "will cause"

Weasel Words are used to create wiggle-room so that 20 years from now when Kool-Aid drinkers are red-faced, they can say, "Well, we said 'are likely' we didn't say it was definite or certain."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
To those who say we can't affect the planet, I suggest we set off four or five hundred megatons worth of nuclear weapons and see what happens for the next few years after that.
Nothing would happen if I did it....but then, if I wanted to do so, I could also create a devastating nuclear winter...or I could create a mild nuclear winter.....or I could create just a slight decrease in temperatures over the short that would cause no harm.

It's called "Physics."

Quote:
Really? Well, by all means feel free to lift the scales from my eyes.
We have already established that you're too blind to see.

If Doctor God King Emperor Colonel General Carl Sagan dada himself came back from the dead and told you that humans did not cause the hole in the Ozone you still would not believe it.

Quote:
Gosh, I can't think of a single reason to think you've done the least bit of investigation into the matter. Not one bit. I'm reminded of that guy who vomited "no one has ever compared volcanic and man-made carbon dioxide emissions" into the forum without even bothering to spend ten seconds to see if what his friends told him was true.
I was referring to specific volcanic eruptions, not every cinder-blowing volcano on Earth, but again, you're too blind to see.

Quote:
You don't know what you are talking about...Why do you think certain refrigerants and halon have been phased out? Ozone Science: The Facts Behind the Phaseout | Ozone Layer Protection |US EPA
The EPA?

According to the EPA, there should be no United States, due to the fact that we should all have died of lead-poisoning 300 years ago, or be mutant morons or something.

Never mind the fact that children's toys were made of lead and children stuck the lead toys in their mouths and then had lead particles on their hands and fingers which they rubbed in their eyes, and stuck up their nose and put into their mouths, and then later toys were lead painted with lead paint and then wood painted with lead paint.

According to the EPA, no graduating class before 1990 should have a GPA greater than -7.32.

Distinguishing...

Mircea

Old 02-16-2014, 05:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
I hear that you have been having a rather warm winter, is that right?
Record warmth, confused plants: An Alaska January to remember | State News | ADN.com
You heard wrong. This winter has been fairly average as far as temperatures are concerned. We are a little light on snow, but our big snow months are December and March. So I fully expect several more feet of snow before this winter ends in May. It was -46°F in December 2013 in Fairbanks. It also dropped to -22°F in the Mat-Su Valley in December 2013. That is pretty normal for winters in Alaska.

This winter the Chinook Winds hit us in January. In other years the Chinook Winds have come in either December or November. One thing that is certain is that whenever those southerly Chinook Winds blow, temperatures can increase by +70°F over night for a period of 10 days to two weeks. Then everything goes back to "normal" again, as it already has. Those Chinook Winds are caused by the break-down of the polar vortex that is over Siberia, and they happen every year.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:56 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
In other words, you do not have any formal training in any of the sciences you speak of? Save, of course, for surfing the net?
Actually, I do have formal training in the sciences. So much for your erroneous assumption.

Since you clearly lack the ability to comprehend and question the message, you feel the need to question the messenger. That says volumes about your lack of scientific understanding.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:07 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
It takes a real scientist like Bill Nye to turn the global warming debate upside down......

Old 02-16-2014, 06:12 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You heard wrong. This winter has been fairly average as far as temperatures are concerned. We are a little light on snow, but our big snow months are December and March. So I fully expect several more feet of snow before this winter ends in May. It was -46°F in December 2013 in Fairbanks. It also dropped to -22°F in the Mat-Su Valley in December 2013. That is pretty normal for winters in Alaska.

This winter the Chinook Winds hit us in January. In other years the Chinook Winds have come in either December or November. One thing that is certain is that whenever those southerly Chinook Winds blow, temperatures can increase by +70°F over night for a period of 10 days to two weeks. Then everything goes back to "normal" again, as it already has. Those Chinook Winds are caused by the break-down of the polar vortex that is over Siberia, and they happen every year.
When the thaw hits, there'll be flooding of biblical proportions that again will 'prove the AGW debate is over'.

Nobody can accept it's winter......and it happens.

We'll remember it as the winter of '14. Others will remember it as a 'proof'.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:13 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
It's dumb to think that we could pump CO2 and other pollutants into the air for centuries and think there will never be any consequences.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:15 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
According to the EPA, there should be no United States, due to the fact that we should all have died of lead-poisoning 300 years ago, or be mutant morons or something.

Never mind the fact that children's toys were made of lead and children stuck the lead toys in their mouths and then had lead particles on their hands and fingers which they rubbed in their eyes, and stuck up their nose and put into their mouths, and then later toys were lead painted with lead paint and then wood painted with lead paint.

According to the EPA, no graduating class before 1990 should have a GPA greater than -7.32.

Distinguishing...

Mircea
Then put your money where your mouth is and feed your kids lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies