Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:44 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

I just watched a documentary on the sports channel about North Carolina State Men's Basketball "Cinderella" team win in 1983.

I just caught the last few minutes of it, so I am sorry I don't have the title. The coach (Valvano) had to resign after the win in some trumped up scandal.

He was very well loved by his colleagues and players. He went on to get and then die of cancer.

The end credits said "As of January 2013, The 'V Foundation' has given more than 100 million dollars to cancer research."

That's just ONE foundation and a lot of money - where are the positive results from all of this research?

I wanted to post this in the Health section, but there is an advisory that no controversial subjects can be posted there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 AM

947 posts, read 1,463,473 times
Cancer is not one disease. There is in fact hundreds of cancers if not thousands of cancers. All of which are quite different from one another in what causes them and they do not react to the same treatment hence there is no one vaccine nor one cure.

Quite frankly a number of breakthroughs a number of breakthroughs have been made. Detection for a number of cancers is a lot easier and is often done a lot quicker these days leading to a much higher number of people being diagnosed and treated in the early stages of these cancers meaning they tend to have a higher chance of survival.

A number of previously uncurable cancers can now be treated and cured with high rates of success.

Chemotherapy is much easier to do nowadays and in fact the radiation treatment is what makes people sick. Often most people undergoing chemo find it pleasant.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:59 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,965,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I just watched a documentary on the sports channel about North Carolina State Men's Basketball "Cinderella" team win in 1983.

I just caught the last few minutes of it, so I am sorry I don't have the title. The coach (Valvano) had to resign after the win in some trumped up scandal.

He was very well loved by his colleagues and players. He went on to get and then die of cancer.

The end credits said "As of January 2013, The 'V Foundation' has given more than 100 million dollars to cancer research."

That's just ONE foundation and a lot of money - where are the positive results from all of this research?

I wanted to post this in the Health section, but there is an advisory that no controversial subjects can be posted there.
Well, there's the obvious: it's difficult.

Then the not so obvious:

The premises assumed in search of a 'cure' may be incorrect. It could be as simple (fundamental) as believing it requires a drug or invasive procedure to cure it vs having the body cure itself. Or, it could be a lack of understanding the mechanisms or malady itself.

The lack of truly great leaps forward would on the surface tend to indicate there's a fundamental flaw shared by all working on it - But that's just an assumption. If you make no progress toward solving a problem or a puzzle, you can eventually conclude that your approach is wrong or your understanding is wrong.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:21 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
It is a difficult, challenging issue - I'm not saying it's easy or some conspiracy or something - but I feel similarly frustrated, and saddened. It's like the 'war on poverty' - maybe a 'cancer cure' is really just pie-in-the-sky, and if so, why do we keep saying we're searching for it, like it's possible?

Unfortunately, I've come to the point of not donating. And, I feel like our tax dollars already significantly support cancer research (NIH). And then when I see how, for example, Stanislaw Burzynski, is treated.... well.... I guess that's where I'd make my donations if I were to support cancer research.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:38 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
It is a difficult, challenging issue - I'm not saying it's easy or some conspiracy or something - but I feel similarly frustrated, and saddened. It's like the 'war on poverty' - maybe a 'cancer cure' is really just pie-in-the-sky, and if so, why do we keep saying we're searching for it, like it's possible?

Unfortunately, I've come to the point of not donating. And, I feel like our tax dollars already significantly support cancer research (NIH). And then when I see how, for example, Stanislaw Burzynski, is treated.... well.... I guess that's where I'd make my donations if I were to support cancer research.
If you believe that people in poverty or cancer patients are a monolithic never-changing group of people then that is easily believed.

People move in and out of 'groups'. The same people that were "in poverty" in 1965 are not the same group that are in poverty today... the same for cancer.

If your looking for a time-line for an end result, then you take "War or whaterver" too literally.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:23 AM

742 posts, read 678,233 times
Cancer research is sometimes corrupt*. It's brings in big revenue. There is Big Pharma that makes too much for their to be cures for certain cancers. There's influence, buying out research, more with that. Follow the money.

* such as, Susan G. Koman was caught in mammography fraud
Susan G Komen Scam | Today News Gazette
It's not just limited to that.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:07 AM

147 posts, read 130,084 times
Think about it: if we keep giving them money, why would they find a cure?

Old 02-16-2014, 06:07 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,394 times
Well because there is a cure of course! However, a cure would stop the flow of money coming in. And of course there is population control aspect..

Old 02-16-2014, 06:15 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,162,956 times
The survival rates for many types of Cancer have increased dramatically over recent decades, and for many cancers this means going from an era when most patients died of the disease to an era where the majority survive and go on to lead normal lives.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:15 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
After Millions/Billions Donated to Cancer Research, Why No Signficiant Breakthroughs?

Think of all the cancer entities that would go under. Money for so-called cancer research is a gold mine and it's far from depleted.

Over the years, I have heard of a handful of cures having been discovered. Oddly, the news quickly disappears, as does the scientist who discovered the cure.

It's not gonna happen. It's the biggest, fakest industry on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies