Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 12:21 AM

29,796 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Stagnating wages in UNIONS. LOL. I guess you have nothing to offer either. Your buddy ran off. Min wage has been around from the time I was a child is that what your referring to as stagnating wages? Lord have mercy. Job stability? I can get a job in the private sector in a week if need be. I have skills. Union employees turn a screw or ten of em stand around watching a guy turn a screw. That is not a skill you are stealing from our tax dollars as most unions left are government unions. I don't need some union rep to negotiate my salary and take a hunk of it I can do it myself. That is why union wages "stagnate". I doubt you will ever understand any of what I just posted...........probably because you are union. You want somebody else to understand it for you and then when they read you a rant like you just wrote you want to go hurt people who are doing better off than you because in reality you know your just a sucker. Hey a week or so till you gotta pay your dues.......I pay my dues to my family.
Constructing clear, concise and convincing counterarguments obviously is not be one of those skills. The stagnating wages witnessed in the private sector, adjusted for inflation have been witnessed in correlation with the decline of union workers, off shoring of jobs in many industries, and even women entering the workforce. You can take your pick if you would like, but something, or a combination of factors has resulted in this. There are many studies on the subject, both on the results, but fewer on the causes. And believe it or not, the world extends far beyond your personal income earning potential, which has nothing to do with the argument.

Not surprised to see half your argument devoted to you and your awesomeness. And since you care so much about me, no, I am not a union worker. I make a decent dollar with my own set of skills. That doesn't mean I find joy in seeing other, less skilled workers being kicked to the ground and spit on by the economic forces at work. I also don't take talking points from the talking heads on the TV.

Notice a correlation? There is money to be made in busting unions dontcha know. And when happens when a formerly well paid yet unskilled union worker loses their job? Yup, your tax dollars subsidize their living while they work at McDonalds.

Get ready, I'm about to drop a 3rd squiggly line on ya...

Yup... Nothing to see here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 12:45 AM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Union con men are pizzed that they lose their chance to exploit new membership with union dues.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:01 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
There is statistical correlation between the decline in union membership and the decline in earning power of the middle class.
What a farce. The last job that I held before I started working for myself had a union. Not only was the union completely and totally pointless, their lack of doing anything worthwhile meant that workers had not received a raise in over six years. Six. Flippin'.Years. Not a dime. But they were more than delighted to take that membership money right out of your paycheck. And even if you opted not to join, you STILL had to pay them a partial payment each month, against your will.

Unions do nothing good for employees. All they do is talk a bunch of horse spit, lie to your face, and then go about their business as if you had not said anything at all. They are pointless, worthless, and no longer needed.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:16 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Unions do nothing good for employees.

They have no true power in a global economy in which the corp and workforce must truly compete. However, if there is a 2nd election here, and if like I, you are not a fan of the UAW (athough I like the worker council idea, and wish it were legal w/o a union), place the blame for a 2nd election where it belongs. That would be Senator Corker and Governor Haslam.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 AM

768 posts, read 718,180 times
All one needs to know about forcing another vote & whether or not the NLRB will be fair is that Andy Stern is in the white house. Thee union thug & crook is in lockstep with Obama.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Whole lot of "arghle blarghle!" in this thread, and no one can counter the graphs posted a few posts above. Personal anecdotes mean nothing in a discussion like this.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:53 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Whole lot of "arghle blarghle!" in this thread, and no one can counter the graphs posted a few posts above. Personal anecdotes mean nothing in a discussion like this.
Um, there's no source for the graphs.

They look like they were put together by Fat Union Fred living in his mom's basement.

In spite of the fact that there is no source, there is an issue with "Income."

"Income" is not defined, and we do not know the source of the data used for "Income" so we do not know if "Income" is "Earned Income" such as wages/salaries, nor do we know if the wannabe grapher is playing head games and is defining "Income" as both Earned Income and Unearned Income.

That's important, because Unearned Income is derived from choices that one makes.

For example, one may choose to purchase $500 in US Treasury securities, or blow $500 on Power-ball.

The person who chose $500 in US Treasury securities made a better choice, and will get their $500 back plus interest...uh,..you know....which is Unearned Income.

Or one may choose to buy $500 worth of stocks and then sell them at $1,000 to make a $500 profit which is Unearned Income.

Fortunately, Unions are not allowed to interference with personal choices regarding some investments....at least not yet, and hopefully never.

If we look at the first graph, recall that the worst stock market crash in history was from 1937 to 1942. Since Income is deceptively not defined in this propaganda chart, it stands to reason that Unearned Income declined significantly during that period of the worst stock market crash.....and might I remind people that GDP was average ~12.5% per quarter...

...hence no correlation between stock market activity and the economy for the not-too-bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yup... Nothing to see here...
Definitely no source.

Countering...

Mircea

Old 02-23-2014, 08:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Prove it. Unions have never represented anywhere near a majority of the middle class.
No they have not. It was very revealing when the unions were campaigning for elimination of the immigration laws hoping they could recruit the cheap foreign labor to their unions that way and gain power.

Unions in the past were led by more intelligent types, they actually understood that unlimited immigration was about bringing wages down, but union leaders today are stupid.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I was reading comments posted to various articles and this one had me laugh out loud...

"Tell the UAW to pack up their carpetbag and go back home."

Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 AM

582 posts, read 778,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It's hard to counter an graph that does't state the source of the data or what exactly is being plotted. The only clear item is union membership is dropping, all the rest is ambiguous. What exactly does share of income mean??? Share of profits of the union company, all companies, all incomes........??? Even if the data was clearly stated with sources, that only shows two trends that are occurring at the same time. Without any proof of cause, you might as well be plotting bell bottom jean purchases via union membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies