Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:01 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
its a breach of contract, not theft..
That's for a jury to decide.

If we contract for you to use my car for 1 day, but you then run off with my car and don't respond to any attempted communication for a year, you better damn believe I'm going to the police to report the car as stolen - and they'll arrest you if they find you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

If we contract for you to use my car for 1 day, but you then run off with my car and don't respond to any attempted communication for a year, you better damn believe I'm going to the police to report the car as stolen - and they'll arrest you if they find you.
It'll never see a jury

Old 02-17-2014, 12:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
She keep the video which makes it theft. Do people think they can rent then keep items of value?

Old 02-17-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
It'll never see a jury
Really? You want me to be super specific and say that unless it's plea bargained, then it's for the fact-finder (the jury in a jury trial or the judge in a bench trial) to decide?

My point was that taking and keeping something that doesn't belong to you is a criminal matter, and whether you have the requisite mens rea to be found guilty is not for the police to decide but rather for the court.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:

btw, there is a special provision in the law that deals with cars.. There isnt for video tapes

http://www.bipac.net/ararental/Theft...l_Services.pdf

(1) wilfully and fraudulently fails to return the motor vehicle, trailer, appliance, equipment, tool, clothing,
or formal wear within seventy-two hours after the lease or rental agreement has expired;

Old 02-17-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
My point was that taking and keeping something that doesn't belong to you is a criminal matter, and whether you have the requisite mens rea to be found guilty is not for the police to decide but rather for the court.
No its not if there is an agreement to allow you to take it.

If you rent my house, and then dont pay rent, you continue to use the house without concent and without paying for it. Its not a criminal matter, its civil.

If I loan you my chainsaw because you are cutting down trees and dont return it when done. Its a civil issue. I gave you concent to have it.. Its not theft.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:40 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
For real, they issued a warrant for her arrest NINE years ago for a VIDEO rental?? LOL, oh come on! And that warrant is still active? People, please. We all know this is insane, just admit it.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
No its not if there is an agreement to allow you to take it.
Yeah, it's not theft to have something under the terms of a lease or a bailment or a borrowing. But keeping it outside of such terms brings it into the criminal realm.

Quote:
If you rent my house, and then dont pay rent, you continue to use the house without concent and without paying for it. Its not a criminal matter, its civil.
It certainly can become criminal. At first, you're a tenant-trespasser, and you can possess the house until an eviction preceding (at which point you would be civilly liable for rent while you stayed there). Once I get the eviction order, if you continue to stay, you are criminally trespassing and will be arrested.

Quote:
If I loan you my chainsaw because you are cutting down trees and dont return it when done. Its a civil issue. I gave you concent to have it.. Its not theft.
If kept with the mens rea (intent) required by the larceny statute, then it absolutely is theft. 99.9999% of neighbors wouldn't take it to the police (and I imagine 99.9% wouldn't even take it to a civil court), but you absolutely could.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
"What are you in for ?" "Armed robbery"
"What are you in for ?" "Assault with a deadly weapon"
"What are you in for ?" "Overdue video rental"
"You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant".

Old 02-17-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
For real, they issued a warrant for her arrest NINE years ago for a VIDEO rental?? LOL, oh come on! And that warrant is still active? People, please. We all know this is insane, just admit it.
Warrants dont expire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies