Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would raising the minimum wage to $15/hr create jobs and revive the economy?
YES. I am all for it seeing how it would benefit everybody 24 20.69%
NO. I am against it because (please elaborate) 83 71.55%
I don't know / don't care 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 AM

650 posts, read 512,555 times

Advertisements

This whole thing got totally mixed up.

all they had to do is lower the corporate tax rate , that would of derailed all the huge money that took off this past early year( billions) and would of excited corporate programs ready and willing to go.

once complete edge up the min wage along with what would of been job growth and expansion etc.

also, there is a major not minor problem with market orientated deductables and off shore hiding of salary.

the golf games, jets, bimmers to coax the deal, bribes in the buis world, salesmans card, advertising , all the expense's are abused. all it does is create inflation and avoiding paying tax. so they blew it. the loopholes are not just loopholes, they are vacuum cleaners.

this evolution of capitalism is the problem, the guy at the helm is just a robot and will take take take...take...........take...............tak...... ............ta.....................t......until guess what

he takes off with all the doe.

that's how it works. there is no end , right up to getting one of those 50 mil IT yachts with a sub...that is not enough either, it needs a chopper to bring in the skinny high heals that just about made it in the med while snob cruising....that's not enough either because now we need more for the min 50 mil cottage out on the Dubai pennisula for the new skinny babe.....don't forget the stereo inside the pool while swimming about. This is todays man a robot taker. Thats one thing Rom saw and was right, yuh can't fight the corp, they have all the money and will park it somewhere else and wait, which is what happened. you have to play ball, lowering the tax and going in the swinging back door ( loopholes)would of worked. now its a mess.

Last edited by alexcanter; 02-20-2014 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,617,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There is a reason I dont have employees.. its because I dont want to hear the whiny ass waaa waa waa, from them about how they are owed something..

I've managed to automate the hell out of my business, to presume McDonalds wouldnt do the same if costs increase is one of the dumbest things I've heard in my life..

but here you are...
Go back and read my post. I said no such thing. I said just the opposite.

Originally Posted by Fox Terrier
Again, a false analogy.

If automation becomes that sophisticated at a burger joint, it won't matter WHAT the employees are getting paid; the business owner will fire the humans and go with the automation.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,961,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, $100/hr is ridiculous. That was not my point.

I have no idea what you are trying to get across with your second paragraph; can you clarify?

Yes, I know all about return on investment. I actually have owned and operated two businesses in my lifetime.

I don't know why you think my post is asinine. Don't you think it's true that if the burger joint can automate cost-effectively, it will? It wouldn't matter if the minimum wage is $1/hr or $7.25/hr.

From your post:
You just fired another employee...

See how your policies just dont fit in with the reality? You just fired 2 people at every McDonalds in america.. Want to continue increasing wages, and we'll see how many more we can eliminate?

I think you're upset because I suggested that the increasing minimum wage will not be a factor in determining if a business owner automates.
Its completely asinine to believe companies will automate regardless of labor costs, and if you have owned 2 businesses in your lifetime, you would know dam well what a ROI is and wouldnt make such stupid comments. Sounds like something someone in 8th grade would say.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:54 AM

924 posts, read 665,050 times
Quote:

Again, a false analogy.

If automation becomes that sophisticated at a burger joint, it won't matter WHAT the employees are getting paid; the business owner will fire the humans and go with the automation.
Exactly.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Again, a false analogy.

you not only didnt say the opposite, you said it again..

I'm sorry I just cant take you seriously anymore.

Tell me Fox, if people will automate regardless of labor costs, then why are we outsourcing production to China where things can be produced cheaper using manual labor?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Exactly.
Eactly wrong...

Answer my question, if employees will always be fired and replaced by automation regardless of labor costs, then why are we outsourcing production to China?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
So some people believe the threshhold is higher than it is, and those people are suggesting $15 an hour.. your reply is $10.10...

Isnt $10.10 an hour lower than $15?

And then if $10.10 is the magic number, then why is the CBO wrong when they suggest 500K will lose their jobs if it goes to $10.10 an hour?

And if we index it with inflation, what do you do when the economy crashes? Reduce peoples pay at the very time we need people to be spending more in order to pump up the economy?

Do you not understand how stupid all of this sounds?

You need to reread everything I've posted, apparently.

The CBO projects 500k job GAINS.

Your argument that goes with inflation just supports mine instead. Yes, people need cash flow to pump up the economy, so how is not pacing their cash flow with the economy going to do that?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,418,650 times
Quote:

I think you're upset because I suggested that the increasing minimum wage will not be a factor in determining if a business owner automates.
but it will be a factor in how many people lose their jobs, how much costs of products increase, and how many businesses close

think about the circle :

company A want to SELL an item for x dollars

company A needs to get the item from manufacturer X

manufacturer X in order to make item has to get parts from supplier C, d, and e

so now the costs go up at supplier (also a manufacturer ) C,D,E...they pass the cost on to manufacturer X, his costs just went up three fold, and now it costs him more to build the product....in turn company a now wanting to sell the product, it costs him more, and then it also costs the public (customer) more

Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
You need to reread everything I've posted, apparently.

The CBO projects 500k job GAINS.

Your argument that goes with inflation just supports mine instead. Yes, people need cash flow to pump up the economy, so how is not pacing their cash flow with the economy going to do that?
Your post is wrong.. The CBO projects a 500K LOSS in jobs if wages go to $10.10 an hour, and 100K job losses if its moved to only $9 an hour..

Old 02-20-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Eactly wrong...

Answer my question, if employees will always be fired and replaced by automation regardless of labor costs, then why are we outsourcing production to China?
Because its cheaper to pay a Chinese peasant a dollar a day than build a sewing robot.

It's the reason why mostly manufacturing jobs left. However, you can't hire a Chinese teenager to man the cash register at McDonalds. Eventually, total automation will take that over, but not for a while. In the meantime, we can pay people a livable wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies