Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
No.

They are attracted to the pheromones of members of the same sex. Nothing related to genes.

Even if it was possible for scientists to identify a type of gene that 'made' someone homosexual, the entire theory could be disproven if for example the gene was identified in for example: a select group of males at or about the age of 14. Then as a control study - each male was put on a separate desert island. And each island was inhabited by the alleged 'gay' male and ten supermodel quality, hot women.

His lack of availability of other males would result in him not being gay if the same scientists returned to the island a few years later. They would find that he more than likely mated with every woman on the island. Because being heterosexual is man's natural state of being. That does not mean that being gay is wrong, but it is not by any means consistent with natural law. Mammals procreate by nature ant that is impossible with homosexuality. Once again - the behavior is not wrong, it is just not consistent with the proliferation of the species.
That is a very strange theory you have ... but it is interesting.

Here is my reply: I think the majority of heterosexuals and homosexuals have a tiny component of bisexuality in them. Someday I think it will be discovered that bisexuality is far more common than we think it is now. However there are Kinsey "0"s - exclusive heterosexuals for life, and Kinsey "6"s - exclusive homosexuals for life.

You seem to imply that all human beings (your example: the single gay guy on an island full of beautiful women) are naturally heterosexual by nature. I disagree. There are perfectly heterosexual men that are deprived of female company (prison, military, boarding schools, seminaries) that will engage in a situational homosexual act under those unique circumstances but will resume a 100% heterosexual sex life once they are back in society with females ... but there are some straight guys who will NEVER engage in a same sex activity no matter how "horny" they are. The same goes for gay people.

Now back to your gay guy on the tropical island full of beautiful women ... maybe he has a small degree of bisexuality - a "5"- (I mean the famous gay author and playwright Oscar Wilde was married to a woman and fathered two sons, right?) ... maybe the gay guy "mated" (as you put it) with the women on the island to relieve sexual frustration but all the time he was doing it his eyes were closed and he was fantasizing about strong, broad shouldered, good looking, hairy, sexy guys.

I think the Native American Indian Tribes had the best theory why gay people exist: they are just people who have "Two Spirits" ... google it: "Two Spirits."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
there is either something genetic or a vast majority of homosexuals copy each others manuerisms and speech pattern

anybody want to explain which is it?
The way that some gay men talk is called affectation, it is in my experience, copying or mimicking, not much unlike a dialect even. I have known gay men that will not talk that way unless in company that talks that way. I do not and cannot talk that way, when I try, I sound like a red neck trying to talk like a gay guy and failing. My younger brother talks that way now, but did not when we grew up together, my spouse does not talk that way either and I know many lesbians and none of them talk with an affectation. Personally as a gay man, I have never figured out why some gay men talk that way and even some straight men.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
No.

They are attracted to the pheromones of members of the same sex. Nothing related to genes.

Even if it was possible for scientists to identify a type of gene that 'made' someone homosexual, the entire theory could be disproven if for example the gene was identified in for example: a select group of males at or about the age of 14. Then as a control study - each male was put on a separate desert island. And each island was inhabited by the alleged 'gay' male and ten supermodel quality, hot women.

His lack of availability of other males would result in him not being gay if the same scientists returned to the island a few years later. They would find that he more than likely mated with every woman on the island. Because being heterosexual is man's natural state of being. That does not mean that being gay is wrong, but it is not by any means consistent with natural law. Mammals procreate by nature ant that is impossible with homosexuality. Once again - the behavior is not wrong, it is just not consistent with the proliferation of the species.
Oh good Lord. So much wrong in 3 paragraphs.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Indeed. They've spent time cultivating their demeanor. They taught themselves how to flounce. If it were natural, we'd see little boys flouncing before they know they're gay.
You ever watch My Friend Flicka with Roddy McDowell? He was just a kid, but it was obvious that he was gay, Heck, even I as a kid thought he was what we kids then called a sissy, I did not know the other words for gay and I thought gay meant happy as it said in the dictionary I had and it was not till my step dad told my Mom that she was making me gay by teaching me how to embroider. I loved to draw and embroidery was like drawing with threads. I did not know I was gay at the time or even that gay meant homosexual, for that word was in my dictionary, not far past homo sapiens if I remember.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:27 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Indeed. They've spent time cultivating their demeanor. They taught themselves how to flounce. If it were natural, we'd see little boys flouncing before they know they're gay.
You say that as if we don't.

Several lifelong friends of mine came out in their late teens and early 20s after dating women through high school. I blame living in an area where many kids risked being kicked out of their homes for coming out. It was pretty obvious to me that many of them were gay starting in elementary school - but certainly obvious by middle school. That doesn't necessarily mean the stereotypical lisp.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Does anyone doubt that there are both gays, and people who "turn" gay?

For example, guys in prison...

I'll never understand why there cant be both people who are born gay, and others who its a "learned" behavior..

Old 02-17-2014, 08:35 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The way that some gay men talk is called affectation, it is in my experience, copying or mimicking, not much unlike a dialect even. I have known gay men that will not talk that way unless in company that talks that way. I do not and cannot talk that way, when I try, I sound like a red neck trying to talk like a gay guy and failing. My younger brother talks that way now, but did not when we grew up together, my spouse does not talk that way either and I know many lesbians and none of them talk with an affectation. Personally as a gay man, I have never figured out why some gay men talk that way and even some straight men.
Officer Clark has to "butch up" his act when he is on duty. When he is partying with friends at a club after hours he has been known to "camp it up."

Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I suggest reading this:

http://faculty.cascadia.edu/tsaneda/...osexuality.pdf

The biological components relating to gender preference are quite complex. It ain't a single gene
Bingo.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
There is nothing to cultivate. It's all a part of growing up....coming into our own. You know there were 2 little boys when my kids were in elementary school. Even at their young age, it was so obvious they were gay. Of course they didn't realize it. They have turned into amazing your adults and yes they are gay.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Does anyone doubt that there are both gays, and people who "turn" gay?

For example, guys in prison...

I'll never understand why there cant be both people who are born gay, and others who its a "learned" behavior..
Are those guys in prison truly gay, or are they just working with what is available? If given the choice between a man and a woman which would they be attracted to?

Sexual orientation is about who you are attracted to. I could physically have sex with a man, but I am not attracted to men. THAT is the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies