Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:19 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I don't shop at Walmart.
With an annual revenue of nearly $470 Billion (an average daily sales of $1B +), there are apparently a lot of people that do. That's part of the reason they can sell things so cheaply (although they did get their lunch handed to them when they tried to do groceries in Europe).

Old 02-18-2014, 10:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
With an annual revenue of nearly $470 Billion (an average daily sales of $1B +), there are apparently a lot of people that do. That's part of the reason they can sell things so cheaply (although they did get their lunch handed to them when they tried to do groceries in Europe).

Yeah... people shop there... either out of necessity (cannot afford to shop elsewhere and have a family to provide for) or greed (it's CHEAPER THERE).

Or maybe it's a combo of the two... they don't want to spend much on some items, so they go buy them at Walmart because that's what works best for them financially.

I refuse to shop there unless I have no other options. I don't even think I've seen the inside of a Walmart in the past 5 or 6 years.

Maybe I did... when that one opened off 54 we stopped by to see if it was nicer than the others nearby, but we didn't buy anything.

I dislike Walmart intensely. If they paid their workers better wages and raised prices 10% to do it, I'd have less of a problem shopping there, but I doubt I am their target demographic anyway.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 AM

875 posts, read 1,161,866 times
Quote:
Yeah... people shop there... either out of necessity (cannot afford to shop elsewhere and have a family to provide for) or greed (it's CHEAPER THERE).
Since when is it "greedy" to pay less for something? Being budget conscious is bad now?

Quote:
If they paid their workers better wages and raised prices 10% to do it, I'd have less of a problem shopping there, but I doubt I am their target demographic anyway.
That would prevent lots of low-income folks from being able to shop there and would likely put them out of business. Target pays similar wages, have you stopped shopping there?

Old 02-18-2014, 12:08 PM

310 posts, read 575,363 times
Quote:
I can understand if you don't shop at Walmart because you don't enjoy it or don't agree with their corporate policies, but to think that those who do shop there are either poor (pitiable) or greedy (evil) is pretty elitist isn't it?

Last edited by slim2none; 02-18-2014 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: corrected punctuation. Damn, punctuation should go away.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Since when is it "greedy" to pay less for something? Being budget conscious is bad now?

That would prevent lots of low-income folks from being able to shop there and would likely put them out of business. Target pays similar wages, have you stopped shopping there?

It's not greedy to pay less. It's greedy to pay less on the backs of other people who live in your community, unless you really don't have a better option because that's all you can afford.

If the cost of cheap goods went up 10%, I doubt it would stop most people from being able to shop there entirely, but I sure don't want to deny anyone who cannot afford to shop elsewhere an affordable place to shop... so... I just don't shop there.

I'm not crazy about Target either... I shop there when it's the only available option for something quick.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
I can understand if you don't shop at Walmart because you don't enjoy it or don't agree with their corporate policies, but to think that those who do shop there are either poor (pitiable) or greedy (evil) is pretty elitist isn't it?

You're putting words in my mouth. I completely understand why people shop there if they cannot afford to shop elsewhere. Nothing wrong with buying where you can afford to buy. I have shopped at Walmart before. I was once a teacher. You cannot really afford much else on a teaching salary when you have kids to feed, too.

I also said I thought most people tended to do a combination of things re: Walmart... shopping there for cheaper stuff where they cannot justify paying more and shopping other places for things that are more important for them in regard to quality vs cost. That was the gist of what I posted (and you didn't quote that part).

I do think that people who can afford to shop elsewhere who load up their carts all the time at WalMart may want to rethink their stance on pouring so much money into a place that treats its workers like crap, but I don't necessarily think that they realize that they are putting money so far about the public good. Soo.... no... I don't think people who shop at WalMart to save money when they could afford to shop elsewhere are evil, either.

That's a leap.

My real point was that I cannot in good conscience shop there regularly. It's a personal decision for me and I don't look down my nose at people who DO choose to shop there, even if I think that not all of them are shopping there because they have no other affordable options.

It really wasn't a judgment. It was a quick statement I made because I had to jump on a conference call. I apologize for not being clearer.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:38 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I somewhat agree with you, but honestly, do you think that HT really pays or treats its employees significantly better than Walmart? Other than the managerial positions, they are all pretty much entry level or part time jobs. For some reason, Walmart has attracted lots of attention and some people (not saying you, its just constantly harped on by the press) suddenly believe that its their responsibility to pay every employee enough to support a family.

I definitely try to patronize local businesses when I can, of course, the locally owned Ace that used to be where the Walmart grocery is now has (at least so far) decided not to open another store nearby, even though there is a perfect piece of land for them at McCrimmon Corners.

On the other hand, I did give the Walmart grocery a chance and they actually have a couple of items that I can't get at Food Lion or HT and I have been surprised that the produce seems to be of equal quality.

But I will agree that "us" as a whole, in always chasing the best deal have probably caused plenty of the problems we complain about and more harm to the economy than most realize.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I somewhat agree with you, but honestly, do you think that HT really pays or treats its employees significantly better than Walmart? Other than the managerial positions, they are all pretty much entry level or part time jobs. For some reason, Walmart has attracted lots of attention and some people (not saying you, its just constantly harped on by the press) suddenly believe that its their responsibility to pay every employee enough to support a family.

I definitely try to patronize local businesses when I can, of course, the locally owned Ace that used to be where the Walmart grocery is now has (at least so far) decided not to open another store nearby, even though there is a perfect piece of land for them at McCrimmon Corners.

On the other hand, I did give the Walmart grocery a chance and they actually have a couple of items that I can't get at Food Lion or HT and I have been surprised that the produce seems to be of equal quality.

But I will agree that "us" as a whole, in always chasing the best deal have probably caused plenty of the problems we complain about and more harm to the economy than most realize.
That bolded sentence was really the main point I was trying to make you said it far better.

HT isn't too bad. They don't pay a fortune, but they do pay more than minimum and they have decent benefits. My eldest worked there a few years ago, stocking at night.

I don't know that I expect Walmart to pay high wages. I know that their claim to fame is low prices. I think what freaks people out is the way Walmart goes into an area and destroys any local competition while leaving itself as one of the few viable places for people who lack other options to shop or work. If places like Costco can pay more, I don't really understand why Walmart cannot at least manage to pay enough to keep more of their employees off the public dole. The way I see it, I may not shop at Walmart, but I'm pretty sure my tax dollars (and I do pay taxes, believe me... they don't give mine back at tax time) wind up helping to fund Walmart employees' public assistance. And, to be straight with you, it makes me mad at Walmart, not at the people who need assistance. I don't mind my money going to help them that need it.

None of the Waltons need my money.

I did like that Ace Hardware.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:07 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
Quote:
That bolded sentence was really the main point I was trying to make you said it far better.

HT isn't too bad. They don't pay a fortune, but they do pay more than minimum and they have decent benefits. My eldest worked there a few years ago, stocking at night.

I don't know that I expect Walmart to pay high wages. I know that their claim to fame is low prices. I think what freaks people out is the way Walmart goes into an area and destroys any local competition while leaving itself as one of the few viable places for people who lack other options to shop or work. If places like Costco can pay more, I don't really understand why Walmart cannot at least manage to pay enough to keep more of their employees off the public dole. The way I see it, I may not shop at Walmart, but I'm pretty sure my tax dollars (and I do pay taxes, believe me... they don't give mine back at tax time) wind up helping to fund Walmart employees' public assistance. And, to be straight with you, it makes me mad at Walmart, not at the people who need assistance. I don't mind my money going to help them that need it.

None of the Waltons need my money.

I did like that Ace Hardware.
I think we get it. You do not like Wally World. LOL

Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
There is a shopping forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies