Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:11 PM

621 posts, read 982,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Why not manufacture here in the USA? They are sitting on mountains of cash.
Exactly. You would think Apple would have some moral obligation to provide employment opportunities in its largest market (other than the overwhelmingly low paid retail jobs they offer). But this won't happen without government intervention.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:18 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
How about the wages that they pay the Chinese workers? Why not manufacture here in the USA? They are sitting on mountains of cash.

If they saved some of the money that they spend on marketing their products (many of which are overpriced junk IMO), maybe they could afford to employ more people here in the USA. But, hey, they only need the people in the US to buy their products, not make them.

Instead of giving Walmart a hard time about paying their unskilled workers minimum wage, maybe the outrage should be directed at companies like Apple who do the end-around to avoid paying US taxes.
You're gonna tell me Walmart doesn't buy goods that were made in the same conditions and/or that they don't try to avoid paying taxes?

Please, man.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
I am sure your concern for employee welfare is genuine but I hope you can see how apparently perfunctory is the concern. Apple needs the cheerful employee and store ambience because of the premium pricing. You can't have unhappy illiterates in dimly lit crowded aisles getting you to fork over for outrageously priced products. Behind that facade, Apple is no better than Walmart and others, whether upscale or not. But we can't fix everything that ails the world and I can understand why splurging some extra cash makes some shoppers feel better.
I can't solve all the world's problems, but I can choose not to shop in any stores that shaft the locals who work there. That's my contribution.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Exactly. You would think Apple would have some moral obligation to provide employment opportunities in its largest market (other than the overwhelmingly low paid retail jobs they offer). But this won't happen without government intervention.
Apple store employees are paid better than Walmart employees. And last time I checked, Walmart sold Apple products.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:02 PM

449 posts, read 699,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
For a long time I got a prescription at the local CVS. It cost me $60. One day I dropped by the pharmacy at WalMart to refill it. They charged me $10.

Maybe I was eating Chinese pills but for a 6:1 ratio I'll go to WalMart.

And I don't understand people who won't set foot into a Walmart anyway. What, too much hoi-polloi? The aisles aren't wide enough for the slaves to carry you riding in your litter?
LMFAO!

I'm thinking a corollary to Godwin's Law that applies instead to accusations of elitism is in order

Last edited by weblackey; 02-19-2014 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting error

Old 02-19-2014, 03:04 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You're gonna tell me Walmart doesn't buy goods that were made in the same conditions and/or that they don't try to avoid paying taxes?

Please, man.
I think that you are missing the point.
Walmart is not setting up subsidiaries in Ireland to avoid paying US taxes.
Further, would you expect the same person stocking shelves or greeting folks at Walmart to be employed at an Apple retail location? Somehow, I don't think that your Apple store experience would be the same.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Apple store employees are paid better than Walmart employees. And last time I checked, Walmart sold Apple products.
Yes, they are. And, they are more qualified and skilled, thus the higher pay.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I can't solve all the world's problems, but I can choose not to shop in any stores that shaft the locals who work there. That's my contribution.
How are they "shafting" anyone?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
How are they "shafting" anyone?
I support raising the minimum wage. Not to anything extreme, but it really hasn't kept up with inflation.

Any company that large that deliberately avoids giving people full-time status even though they are technically full-time employees gets the side-eye from me. Walmart is not unique in this regard. They're just larger and wealthier and more pervasive than other companies doing similar.

That said, this topic is way off the local, so I think we should move it.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I think that you are missing the point.
Walmart is not setting up subsidiaries in Ireland to avoid paying US taxes.
Further, would you expect the same person stocking shelves or greeting folks at Walmart to be employed at an Apple retail location? Somehow, I don't think that your Apple store experience would be the same.
Tax avoidance is still tax avoidance, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies