Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its post 21, and not one of you have even mentioned strippers.

I swear my wife spends so much watching other women stripers-I want to stop her....but I just cant find it in my heart to.
you want to join her dont you. go ahead, just tell her that you are supporting her hobby like a good spouse should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
A car, no matter what type, is a more practical acquisition than a diamond ring...

10/10
really? so then you would drive a $250,000 ferrarri or rolls royce as your daily driver? park it out where it can get dinged and scratched? are you really going to go grocery shopping in the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I think land in the right areas beats both! Land and more land own dirt it at least has a return.

Loose jewels are much better investment than diamond rings and such.
best advice yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Women (and men) should buy whatever they want. If people didn't buy the items the OP is critical of the economy would be worse, not better off.

The only argument that could be made that women distort the economy are the ones who have out of wedlock children and then sign up for every welfare program from A to Z. This is happening on such a widespread basis now that it is hurting our economy (we have to keep going in debt/printing money) to support the massive welfare state.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:57 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Selfish people (gender irrelevant) who have no concept of sacrificing a little immediate gratification in the interest of long term benefit, hurt the economy. Places like Rent-a-Center feed from the trough of this stupidity. Men and women both contribute to the irresponsible breeding/welfare state problem. Men tell women whatever, prey on a female's emotions, say they are in love and will be there, then hit it and quit it. Women somehow think that getting pregnant will solve a problem relationship. There are as many scenarios as there are idiots...so plenty. The only aspect in which I feel women are slightly more at fault is the fact that we do have access to more effective birth control than dudes have.

One more meaningful way in which I feel that there is an economical issue that arose from feminism and changes to the woman's role in society is that it used to be that a man's income could support his family at whatever economical strata they lived in. Then women joined the workforce. Since all families then had more income to spend, the prices of everything went up, and with the advent of more aggressive advertisement, we are also under more pressure to consume. It is difficult now for a family to get by comfortably or feel satisfied with just one income. So we now have to pay someone else to raise our children instead of Mom being able to do so when they are little, in the home. I'm not saying I want a return to an America where a woman's "place" was restricted to the domestic sphere...but it stinks that a Mom who wants that choice rarely has that choice. In my household, I've often not been able to count on my husband to maintain stable enough employment that I felt I could have a lapse in my own, even if we had enough money. He could (and eventually will) lose his job and then what?? So I have to work, and I don't give my kids as much of my time as I wish I could. THAT in my opinion is a big way in which women's activities have affected the economy and vice versa.

As for spending gratuitously, I think most Americans are guilty of it. I know a guy who has dumped tens of thousands into his collection of merch and memorabilia of a certain band we're fans of...sure, his collection is an investment and he can probably turn a profit on it if he ever needs to. But precious metals and gems are, too, and always have been. Me, I'm not into shoes, bags, or jewelry...but give me a chance to build a tricked out gaming computer and I'll jump on it and probably spend more than what is strictly necessary to make it "bleeding edge" cool. Difference between my man and I is that if he had to shop for parts, he'd just get what he needed regardless of cost. I, on the other hand, will wait for bargains and at least try to get decent prices.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:47 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
OMG Rent a center. Thats like the most evil company in the world. Sure its only $40/week for a yearfor this $500 TV......for 52 weeks, total cost of $2K!

Who buys that? I thought maybe they'd have good deals on used tv's for cash...lol nope. Theres no redeeming quality there other then window shopping to order from amazon.

But yeah us guys have our spending habits too, I just dropped $380 for a Dell Venue 8 pro tablet, and a 64gb micro-sd card. Its a toy, a incredibly awesome windows 8.1 tablet....but still I didn't REALLY need it. But the Intel Bay trail CPU is incredible, and I AM a software developer so theres some redeeming qualities to me buying it (or so I keep telling myself)....but mostly its that I can play civ5 anywhere I go......lol

Old 02-19-2014, 01:11 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
OMG Rent a center. Thats like the most evil company in the world. Sure its only $40/week for a yearfor this $500 TV......for 52 weeks, total cost of $2K!

Who buys that? I thought maybe they'd have good deals on used tv's for cash...lol nope. Theres no redeeming quality there other then window shopping to order from amazon.

But yeah us guys have our spending habits too, I just dropped $380 for a Dell Venue 8 pro tablet, and a 64gb micro-sd card. Its a toy, a incredibly awesome windows 8.1 tablet....but still I didn't REALLY need it. But the Intel Bay trail CPU is incredible, and I AM a software developer so theres some redeeming qualities to me buying it (or so I keep telling myself)....but mostly its that I can play civ5 anywhere I go......lol
Well the reason places like Rent a Center can operate is that a person who never has $500 in hand, and lacks the capacity to save that much up, can think "$40 a week isn't a lot at any particular time" and that they could probably make that work... They don't even do the math.

I was yelling when AT&T released their "Next" program (which has equivalents in other cell carrier plans now)... So I can upgrade once a year, but I never really own the equipment. The old plan was to upgrade every 2 years, and you do own the equipment. For a cutting edge phone, you might pay $200 with a contract upgrade. Plus the $36 upgrade fee at the time. As opposed to $25/month "for a year" (it's actually 18 months) just to rent the darn thing. Let's do the math on that: 25x12=300 or 25x18=450. And you never own it. And when you send it back for a new upgrade, the monthly cost at whatever rate goes on with the new device.

Well apparently they realized this wasn't going to appeal to anyone with access to a calculator. So they changed the rate plan in such a way that (for my family) we got more data and the price per month for service went down by $25/month per line. BUT! If I utilize a regular upgrade like in the old days, my rate will go back up to what it was for whatever line I upgrade. If I go with the "Next" plan, it stays low, but they tack on that rental cost. There isn't an upgrade fee though. My conclusion? I can get a perfectly acceptable unlocked phone on Amazon next time we need to replace something, and save money over both options. HA!

One thing that can be cool about some chicks who enjoy spending money, is that most of us love a bargain...personally I'd kick my husband's butt if he bought me a diamond ring. I can think of a dozen things I'd rather do with any amount of money...

Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
How much money does the US waste per year on unecessary crap just because women see it as[i][b]"a social must" / "social hierarchy thing".
it's not money that is being wasted. money is not a resource that can be wasted, it is an artificial representation of value that can be exchanged for resources (which can then be wasted)

so the question is: is there a better use -- one that we're foregoing -- for diamonds? or gold? or these various status symbols?

Old 02-19-2014, 01:34 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
it's not money that is being wasted. money is not a resource that can be wasted, it is an artificial representation of value that can be exchanged for resources (which can then be wasted)

so the question is: is there a better use -- one that we're foregoing -- for diamonds? or gold? or these various status symbols?
Yes both are excellent materials for a lot of things-connectors for example for gold, and many industrial applications for diamonds, that aren't used as much due to the high costs....which are related to the fact that virtually every married couple buys them for decorations

Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 AM

544 posts, read 610,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Off our meds are we?
Thanks, your post has reminded me that it's time to take my meds.

Also, thanks to lots of good posters and their post in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies