Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I could use your reasoning in that since ACA has only affected a very small portion of the nation thus far, why would you and your conservative brethren even consider that it has had any affect here in GA, a state which is still trying to fight ACA implementation and that did not expand Medicaid.

The problems in the OP article, as stated, are long standing problems here and due to our state government being more focused on party politics, I highly doubt that the issues here in regards to the poor and healthcare and our health rankings will improve very much in my lifetime.

I doubt that in regards to the bold. Many people receive tax credits that lessen their liability in regards to paying federal taxes and you receive a lot of subsidies via various goods and services that you are unaware of. In my line of work (I work for a private company that provides services for both private and public entities) I know that the government is very much intertwined in practically ever aspect of our lives and everyone is affected by it in some way.

Sorry if I confused you with someone else.
Millions of americans are being kicked off of their health insurance plans, and just wait, because the employer mandates, which affects 90% of the nation, havent even kicked in..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:14 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Kicking millions off of private insurance and then celebrating them picking up medicaid is one of the dumbest things in the world..
How many that are on Medicaid can afford private insurance premiums? Few and far between I'd bet.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:15 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
What a warped article. The whole reason the hospital is closing is because Georgia is one of the states that refused the Medicaid expansion and 23% of the patients that the critical care facility handles have no insurance and are not elegiable for Medicaid. The hospital has only 25 beds to begin with so it isn't actually a hospital. just a rural care facility in a poor area. Bottom line, the republicans are responsible for the shutdown by not expanding their Medicaid program. There have been no "Cuts" in hospital payments under Obamacare.

Here's some actual info from your own link.

Many hospitals in the 25 states that rejected the Medicaid expansion are facing similar financial problems. Liberal administration ally Think Progress has already faulted Georgia for not expanding Medicaid as Obamacare envisioned.

As usual, misinformation and downright lies from the Obamacare haters. In fact, almost all the horror stories that the Obamacare haters post on the internet are cases from the Republican states that refused to expand their system in accordance with the ACA. So basically, you trash the system then complain that it isn't working.
Here's a fact: this hospital was open until ObamaCare created rules, regulations and laws that caused its closing. The fact that the state decided to not steal from medicaid changes nothing. If not for ObamaCare, this would NOT have happened.

Why do you have poor people?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
How many that are on Medicaid can afford private insurance premiums? Few and far between I'd bet.
Thats a completely different group of individuals. The discussion is about those who WERE NOT on medicaid..

Old 02-19-2014, 03:21 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Conservatives just cant grasp the concept of personal responsibility, they blame Obama for everything, and their lot in life.

Look around. Heres some FACTS:
Our GDP adjust for inflation has increased massively year after year.....all the while our population as a general has not done any better other then for the top 1%-who are making rules that benefit them via a paid for government.

And our poor are getting poorer. So yeah-the greatest nation on the planet has such large inequality that even the WORKING poor need help. These are people putting in a honest day of work.

Go back to when many here were younger, and it wasnt this way. This isnt the fault of the people you describe. They're working hard to survive. But of course, people DO like to blame them, because they listen to things like Fox news thats being paid to misinform them. And they believe it, and call others sheeple....not realizing that they're looking in a mirror.
You forgot: millions are losing their insurance that they were promised they could keep. Oh wait, that can't be right......

Old 02-19-2014, 03:23 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi P View Post
Obama Care needs to be repealed. The idea is good but needs to be totally scrapped and started all over. This so called affordable care is not affordable and out of pocket expenses of deductions can reach upwards to $12,000 plus per year and per individual. We are losing Doctors, Hospitals, Insurance Carriers as they can no longer afford to keep their doors open because of Obama Care. Those who can afford to pay monthly premiums are going to get penalized by Obama Care because they are not dependent on being funded for health care and it will be tacked onto their taxes to help fund Obama Care. Does anybody else see a "Catch 22" here?
It needs to be repealed, because like the $800 billion stimulus, it was cobbled together from hundreds of special interest group agendas, and politicians adding their own two cents worth of vote buying pork, pandering, kickbacks. It was never a well thought out, or planed, piece of legislation, and no time was put into reading it, understanding it, studying or analyzing it, and they sure as hell never thought about how it would be implemented and administered. Which is why the entire thing is one giant bureaucratic disaster.

Lesson learned, this is what you get when Democrats have full, utter and complete control over the entire federal government.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:28 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Here's a fact: this hospital was open until ObamaCare created rules, regulations and laws that caused its closing. The fact that the state decided to not steal from medicaid changes nothing. If not for ObamaCare, this would NOT have happened.

Why do you have poor people?
Strange. I thought that some direct funding to hospitals had been dropped because of the assumption that because of those now on Medicaid (thru Obamacare) it would no longer be necessary to provide that funding since Medicaid would cover the difference.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You forgot: millions are losing their insurance that they were promised they could keep. Oh wait, that can't be right......
...and the next Obama shoe to drop will be his delay of the personal mandate.

Come March 31st of 2014, tens of millions will be in violation of the law, and come tax day in 2015 they will all be PUNISHED for not getting health insurance before the deadline.

I seem to remember back in October 2013, the hated and maligned TEA party Republicans in the House were simply asking for that personal mandate to be delayed, but Obama and Reid refused to even discuss it, and shut down the government.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
And doctors and hospitals can't survive on Medicare payments.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:33 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,559 times
Quote:
Kicking millions off of private insurance and then celebrating them picking up medicaid is one of the dumbest things in the world.
Im sorry, but i doubt an individual who is medicaid eligible is going to afford a health plan, prior or after the ACA. The people who could have had medicaid were probably too poor for individual coverage before, so those who have medicaid lost nothing and only gained. And more people would have had coverage if all states had medicaid expansion.

Quote:
If you were sorry you wouldnt be celebrating and calling for more people to go on welfare.. Where do you think the money comes from?
Sorry, but I don't see health coverage as welfare, I see it as a right. Every other country had found a way to provide universal coverage. Sorry you don't see it that way and we will just have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
You're just making things up. The insurance industry was guaranteed a 3% profit margin, paid for by the taxpayer.
LOL, what am I making up? Sorry sir, but those are the prices that our state exchange has listed for my area for a 19 year old individual with out subsidies. If you like I can easily show them to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies