Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times

Advertisements

disturbing it would seem many are concerned about not about the reward system in the school, but who is rewarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3531 View Post
It seems parents and kids these days are getting way too sensitive about the smallest of things. When I was in the 5th grade, back in 1997, I scored a 100% on the States/Capitals map exam and was rewarded with pizza. I think there were like 8 or 9 kids from my class, the remaining 20 or so kids just went out played like they did during any other recess. Apparently this would be taboo with today's parents, what a joke. Also, for whoever mentioned award ceremonies, we always had assemblies where kids were presented with certificates for being on the honor roll or merit list, hell there were even certificates for perfect attendance.
When I was at preschool in the early 80s, we all had to complete a set of tasks. Tie your shoe, learn your address etc. All the kids that completed it were rewarded with a trip to the 7 eleven for ice cream. Well I couldn't tie my shoe. I could do everything else except that. They left me behind and the other kids got their ice cream. I doubt such a thing could occur today. The parents would go ballistic.

As you can see the experience has left its mark on my psyche 30+ years later, so maybe they'd have a point, lol.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,965,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Since I was in 1st grade 20 years ago.
I was one of "those kids" who got to go to the gourmet restaurant, take the special trip, etc. It was very difficult to do. You had to have exceptional everything - including behavior, not just grades. There were 7 different criteria, and each of them was a composite of other things.

I didn't make it all the time, either, which was a disappointment.

Of course, that was a few decades ago, too.

Too bad, so sad for those who think that's wrong.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:51 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do you have a link showing the political parties of the parents of those children or are you just "projecting" ?

If all the kids of liberals go to college and get good jobs then why are the liberals fighting so hard for a raise in the min wage ?
Anyone with good sense knows liberals have smarter kids. No link is needed. Why do libs wan to raise the minimum wage? Empathy. Something that conservatives have even less of than good sense. Seriously though, libs realize that raising the minimum wage means more disposable income for the middle class and that is why they favor it.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:51 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I just explained the story to my 7 year old. I asked what she thought of it. She said "Those other kids should have tried harder. The pizza party was a reward for doing well!"
I asked "What if some of the kids felt bad about themselves for missing the party?"
Her reply? "Too bad! Maybe they'll try harder next time!"

Why can a 7 year old understand it so well while adults cry and whine about life being so unfair?
She gets it!
I agree with your 7 year old. It's nice to see straight A students getting rewarded in school. So many times all the praise and rewards go to athletes in our schools.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Empathy. Something that conservatives have even less of than good sense.
No, not empathy, dogma.

Empathy means you ACTUALLY care not just repeat liberal dogma, which is counterproductive - it hurts people.

I have lived a life of ACTUALLY accomplishing things and solving problems. Emotion plays no part in that. It requires your intellect. Wishing something would work is unproductive. Understanding it and applying reason and logic will enable you TO do what you want to do.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Anyone with good sense knows liberals have smarter kids.
LOL!!! That's the most ignorant and arrogant nonsense ever.

Quote:
No link is needed. Why do libs wan to raise the minimum wage? Empathy.
No, vote-buying.

Quote:
Something that conservatives have even less of than good sense.
Having good sense will do far more for your neighbor, than pretending to care.

Quote:
Seriously though, libs realize that raising the minimum wage means more disposable income for the middle class and that is why they favor it.

This statement proves you haven't a clue.

Nobody in "middle class" has anywhere NEAR a "minimum wage" job. You don't help people by mandating that any job worth less than X dollars is not to exist.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Awards ceremony? Um, kids are expected to pass their classes. How about rewarding them by moving them into the next grade next year instead?
Yeah really. We didn't have kindergarten graduations when I was a kid.

If I didn't bring home straight As, I got punished because I was capable of straight As and my parents expected me to work to my full potential. Did I get beaten? No, but I would get a stern talking-to and my parents would ride my tail for the next term to make sure I stayed disciplined and on-track.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,261 times
A student's GPA is between them and their guidence counselor and parents. No one else cares.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:33 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I doubt that "A" students do it because of a dance and a pizza party reward. When did schools start doing this and going beyond the traditional awards ceremony?
Decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies