Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 PM

31,955 posts, read 14,955,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If you, or anyone else has a teen son, and that son is not doing the yard work, and instead you hire the work out, you are doing it all wrong. Period. Its time for him to get up off his lazy ass and get to work.
My teen son did do the yard work but he is grown now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,428,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

If your kids are living at home saving up then I have no problem with that. My daughter moved out at 25 with over $20,000. While at home she paid her car payment, gas, student loan. She paid her way while saving.
Good for her. Like I said, I agree that it's okay as long as they are productive and not mooching but way too many are mooching.

Now the thread is back on track.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 PM

310 posts, read 255,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
Let me guess....you're single.
Just like everybody else who assumes things about me here for some reason, swing and a miss! I have been with my girlfriend for years. And I have a dog. Or were you going to guess that I don't have a dog next?

Old 02-21-2014, 01:17 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,906,412 times
In the past you could graduate high school and walk downtown and get a good paying union factory job. Now you need to delay adulthood by 4-8 years of college and several more years of job searching. God help you if you're stuck in a small town or aren't willing to relocate to a high COL big city.

Of course people are living with their parents longer. You can't get a living wage job with just a high school diploma anymore.

But it's also American culture that has that rush to move out and rack up a ton of debt. In most cultures you might have several generations living in one house.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,802,433 times
I agree with both posters, both issues had a hand in it.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:15 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
In the past you could graduate high school and walk downtown and get a good paying union factory job. Now you need to delay adulthood by 4-8 years of college and several more years of job searching. God help you if you're stuck in a small town or aren't willing to relocate to a high COL big city.

Of course people are living with their parents longer. You can't get a living wage job with just a high school diploma anymore.

But it's also American culture that has that rush to move out and rack up a ton of debt. In most cultures you might have several generations living in one house.
And everyone benefits from this. I really don't get why we're in such a hurry to move our and rack up debt.

I used to work for a Macedonian family tradition is that the kids live at home until they can pay cash for a house that is big enough for their kids to in turn live at home until they have enough cash to pay cash for their house. They live a much higher lifestyle on less money than people I know who moved out at 18 and established their independence. There's a lot of security here. Each generation helps the next one by giving them a place to live until they are ready to live debt free on their own. How much higher would our standard of living be if this were our tradition?

Contrary to common belief, there is nothing wrong with one generation helping another and nothing wrong with family relying on family. We talk about family values and then go work ridiculous hours that take us away from our families so we can have a house of our own as fast as possible. What's important here? The family or the house?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:19 AM

29,466 posts, read 16,443,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Good for her. Like I said, I agree that it's okay as long as they are productive and not mooching but way too many are mooching.

Now the thread is back on track.
How do you know they are mooching ?

Old 02-21-2014, 05:27 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,765,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Maybe for some and depending upon the culture. But even in cultures like Thailand where parents typically live with their children at some point the children leave the nest, unless it's a family farm or something, in which case they either add on to the house or build a separate house.
Like I said nothing wrong with it if you don't mind nesting, lack of privacy or if your parents are willing to tolerate it.
I took care of my parents house and property, ran errands for them and took them grocery shopping until they passed. What does nesting have to do with taking care of your parents? As far as I can tell very little. It is more the parents taking care of adult children. Me? I love my kids, but I was glad when my son went out on his own.
It is usually normal for Asian families to live together until one is married.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
And everyone benefits from this. I really don't get why we're in such a hurry to move our and rack up debt.

I used to work for a Macedonian family tradition is that the kids live at home until they can pay cash for a house that is big enough for their kids to in turn live at home until they have enough cash to pay cash for their house. They live a much higher lifestyle on less money than people I know who moved out at 18 and established their independence. There's a lot of security here. Each generation helps the next one by giving them a place to live until they are ready to live debt free on their own. How much higher would our standard of living be if this were our tradition?

Contrary to common belief, there is nothing wrong with one generation helping another and nothing wrong with family relying on family. We talk about family values and then go work ridiculous hours that take us away from our families so we can have a house of our own as fast as possible. What's important here? The family or the house?
The house. The one you earned through hard work. Otherwise all of you end up in a homeless shelter mooching off of taxpayers. You can easily get in your family time, and even help/rely on family for certain aspects of life while simultaneously holding down a full-time job and being independent. You are simply making excuses to be a moocher by disguising it as a family values argument. Personally, I find that to be abhorrent.

The more I read about liberal perspectives on work ethic, living at home well into adulthood, etc, it becomes a lot more clear to me as to why their ideology is one of abject failure. Hell, we can't even convince these folks that hard work is the key to upward mobility in this country! Half of them are arguing that there's nothing wrong with living in mom and dad's basement! Absolutely disgusting!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:09 AM

11,677 posts, read 5,696,548 times
My youngest just moved out last year at the age of 27. After graduating college, I suggested he move home and accept a job in the area so he could pay off his $90,000 school loans. He not only paid off the loans but also paid off his new car. He has since found a job in his field in Alabama.

My oldest is still at home - after having a worker's comp accident at GM. Long story short after delaying treatment for over a year initially and then again after 3 subsequent surgeries - he's totally disabled and waiting for a knee replacement at the age of 31. He could move out and get food stamps, welfare, food stamps and medicaid but is very conservative and refuses to accept handouts.

There's no problem with families helping each other out in bad or tough times - taking advantage of each other is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies