Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:49 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times

Advertisements

There's nothing wrong with staying at home to be thrifty.

One could look at how often young people move out from home and say it's a culture of rampant consumerism where people chase expensive ideals (an apartment, a car, $10,000 engagement rings) in order to feel worthwhile as some kind of "adult". This ideal is pretty evident by some of the posts in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 02:52 PM

310 posts, read 256,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I think the worst thing a parent can do is allow their kid to remain dependant on them, well into their adult life.
It is indeed pretty bad. It just sets them up for failure when they go out on their own. I am extremely grateful that my parents taught me to rely on myself before I went out on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Teaching dependency isn't helpful but it's by far not the worst thing a parent can teach a child. Me personally I would rate dependency below teaching prejudice/hate, not stressing the importance of education, and not teaching critical thinking skills.
Good point, but it is up there for sure. Teaching dependency puts them at a severe disadvantage that could lead them down one of many bad roads in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I kinda wondered where that had came from, I even looked at your recent posts to see if it had come from there. Seemed odd.
Yeah, I have know idea either. Kind of funny for someone with the username "knowledgeiskey" to speak on something they have no knowledge of.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
There's nothing wrong with staying at home to be thrifty.

One could look at how often young people move out from home and say it's a culture of rampant consumerism where people chase expensive ideals (an apartment, a car, $10,000 engagement rings) in order to feel worthwhile as some kind of "adult". This ideal is pretty evident by some of the posts in this thread.
I think you are looking at it all wrong (except the first sentence). Nobody is saying that people should go out on their own and buy a bunch of stuff, but rather go out on your own and learn to be independent, which actually includes NOT spending money in that manner.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:09 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
I think you are looking at it all wrong (except the first sentence). Nobody is saying that people should go out on their own and buy a bunch of stuff, but rather go out on your own and learn to be independent, which actually includes NOT spending money in that manner.
So you get to live for free somewhere, then? Housing is generally the most expensive line-item for anyone.

And yes, there are people in this thread who are saying that young people are losers for not being independent, and that renting an apartment is a way to be independent.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
So you get to live for free somewhere, then? Housing is generally the most expensive line-item for anyone.

And yes, there are people in this thread who are saying that young people are losers for not being independent, and that renting an apartment is a way to be independent.
I wasn't talking about rent, I was talking about your mention of cars and $10,000 engagement rings which are not necessities and should not be lumped in with rent. You should probably re-read what I wrote, as when I say not spending money "in that manner" I was talking about spending on things that are not needed (re: cars, rings).

And nobody said that as an absolute, but they did mention that there are some that are indeed losers, which is something that can't be denied. Not all of them are losers, but there are plenty that are.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:26 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
How charming. Obama, by destroying the economy and robbing a generation of thier futures, is helping to restore the extended family unit. He certainly is a kind, caring man.
You cons are all about family, what's the problem?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:36 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Got my first job at 14, haven't been unemployed since. That's a bunch of days making money, and my bank account reflects that. Needless to say I am a major advocate of putting children to work from the first day they are legally allowed to work. No coddling. Earn your keep. It worked for me and mine. It can work for others.

In some ways, I blame parents first and foremost. Something is definitely awry when so many kids are living in the basement. I can assure you my children would not want to live in my basement and having to listen to dad ***** and moan about lazy people. That would be punishment.....worse than work. LOL

Old 02-20-2014, 03:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
whats wrong with staying home?
Nothing if you don't mind nesting, lack of privacy and your parents don't mind. Me I couldn't wait to leave the nest and be on my own. I left a month after HS and never went back to live.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Breaking news: 1/3 young adults simply too god damn lazy to find a well paying job that doesn't exist to pay off their massive student loans they accrued in order to get a good job.
Well paying job or nothing? Is that the New Millennial Mantra™?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:47 PM

I should also say that I feel sorry for those parents that don't actually have a basement. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies