Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:38 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My point is this. When I hear stuff like "it's southern heritage" or "states' rights", knowing what I know from the Articles of Secession, I have to consider this.

1) Whose Southern Heritage? Alot of Black people are born and raised in the South. I don't hear most Black people claiming it as "part of their heritage". In fact, I've never heard a Black person say that about the Confederate flag.

2) What kind of heritage? Knowing what I know from the Articles of Secession, I would have consider that slavery has been mentioned as a major reason for secession. I've even posted quotes from the Articles of Secession.

3) The states' rights to do what? Again, it goes back to the Articles of Secession.

My point is that if it was about Southern heritage, wouldn't it be universal for all southerners, Black and White?

Nope! It's like how the Jewish holidays have different meaning to Jewish folks than they do to me.
We may be all born in the same place but many of us are different in this way or that.
Just to be clear, I have no issue here - I only rarely stop by a thread like this to put in a word of good intention. (Cue John Lennon music......)

Peace to you and all and I wish you good things, no matter what flag you fly or not fly!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The "confederate flag" to which you defend is not only a flag of treason
a. secession is not treason

b. no person involved with the Confederate States of America was tried for treason

Old 02-21-2014, 08:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
No, but since the average lifespan of a slave was only about 45 years, likening slavery to the Holocaust isn't completely out of line.
the average lifespan of a U.S. slave was 36 years

compared to the average lifespan of a white american man, which was 40 years.

both these figures were higher than the lifespan of a Frenchman, Dutchman, or Austrian man.

how you equate a 4-year difference in lifespan to a genocide, i do not know.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
This is a severely flawed argument.

The Flag of the United States is the flag that also fought for the freedom of African Americans. The "confederate flag" to which you defend is not only a flag of treason, but also the symbolic(however incorrectly) embodiment of slavery.

The Southern Heritage argument also makes no sense what so ever. The town i live in was under the Flags of 3 other nations besides the CSA or USA for a combination of 130 years. thats 126 more than the CSA even existed.

Southern heritage my *****
It's also the flag that brings drone attacks to the thousands of people in the middle east, it's the flag of those who spy on their citizens. If you think the atrocities committed by the Confederate States of America are even 10% of those committed by the USA, then you aren't reading history.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
There is no reason to be outraged over this. People in Georgia wanted this license plate as a symbol of their southern heritage. At $80.00, it will bring in revenue for the state out there. I mean if these people want to get upset over this they have to remember a inconvenient truth that the flag on the stern of slave ships decades prior to the Civil War was the Union Jack and the Stars and Stripes.

Georgia approves Confederate flag license plates ? RT USA
Actually the vast majority of people in Georgia do not want this, and are embarrassed that it's even available.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Would it be appropriate for a son of a Wehrmacht soldier to display a swastika on his vehicle?

The swastika was a political symbol. It is not the german battle flag.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Georgia Approves Confederate License Plates Driving Civil Rights Advocates And The NAACP Bonkers

If the so-called "Civil Rights advocates" and the NAACP go "bonkers", will anyone notice any difference?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Oh yeah, I WILL get one!

Anytime I can light up the PC crowd I do it. In fact I go out of my way to do it.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:58 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Oh yeah, I WILL get one!

Anytime I can light up the PC crowd I do it. In fact I go out of my way to do it.
You've undoubtedly missed out or ignored historical context in your knee-jerk expression of defiance.

Much of the revival of flying the Confederate Stars and Bars flag came in the 1950s and 1960s, during the Civil Rights Movement, both by state/local governments and individuals, to express their opposition to the Civil Rights Movement and support for maintaining Jim Crow.

Now if you want to associate yourself with such a reactionary movement or cause just to spite others, that's your option.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
It's one of those "special plates" its not the primary plate.

You don't need to buy one... other southern states also have this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies