U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 PM

47,578 posts, read 54,566,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Where is it common? Don't be jealous we haven't least our sense of self, family and community like blacks and whites have.
As for the family -- same article --

Hispanic teens more likely to use drugs, study says - CNN.com

When it came to Hispanic parents, 21% said they were OK if their teen "smoked marijuana sometimes," compared with 11% of African-American parents and 6% of Caucasian parents.

"Parental permissiveness is another factor we document as being linked to teen substance abuse. Hispanic parents appear to have some misconceptions regarding prescription drug misuse and abuse," Raikes said. "Both of these factors could have an influence on a child's substance abuse."

Hispanic parents reported the highest rates of problems establishing rules that prohibit drug use. However, Hispanics adolescents received less punishment for their drug use, the report states.

Hispanic teens are more likely to encounter substance abuse in their daily lives. Specifically, having access to substances, to have friends who abuse substances, and to have been offered substances. This could influence a teen to perceive substance abuse as a normal behavior, increasing their chances to engage in the dangerous activity.

This trend is occurring throughout the country, not one geographic area that is more susceptible to substance abuse than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 06:50 AM

15,908 posts, read 8,602,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
legalize cannabis and less peeps will do hard drugs..

Maybe. Maybe not. I'd like to think so. And I think cannabis being illegal despite being far less dangerous than other substances legal or otherwise does a huge disservice to those who seek alternatives to help relieve what ails them, be it anxiety, pain, cancer...whatever. It's all about money really. Special interests like Big Pharma don't want people seeking other alternatives, as it cuts into their bottom line. Oh well. Sucks to be them! Big Pharma is just going to have to work around it, as it will be legal in the near future.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:58 AM

15,908 posts, read 8,602,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
They are harmful, but it's not the government's job to save people from themselves. Government's only legitimate roll is to protect me from the initiation of physical force, not to initiate physical force against me in order to keep me from bad health decisions.

If they really want to keep me from harming myself they should completely ban cars and other similar vehicles; I'm sure way more people kill themselves with cars than drugs. And I hate to even mention that since I know there are some far left nut-jobs that do want to ban cars....
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
I'll name my terms. The only proper society for humans to live in is one where the initiatory use of physical force is banned or outlawed--especially use of force by government. Physical force is for defense or retaliation/punishment only and only against those who initiated it in the first place. So you punish, etc those who commit violent crimes (ie those who initiate physical force in the first place), whatever their reason. (drugs, whatever.) People kill and harm far more people with cars, they cause just as much (if not more) harm and mayhem. People should be punished for buying, selling and possessing cars by your logic.

If it is true that "domestic tranquility" was meant by those who wrote the constitution to be a justification for government to initiate physical force against its own citizens, then the constitution is just out and out wrong on that point. Or, the more likely case, people such as yourself are deliberately misinterpreting that to justify initiatory physical force; which there is no possible justification for. The ends do not justify the means.
+1!

Old 02-24-2014, 07:27 AM

11,918 posts, read 5,510,594 times
Quote:
I graduated a few years after you. Crack was huge in the black community till the 2000s. I think it so completely took over black America that it was stigmatized. Black people began shunning there own kind who used it which is why you stopped seeing it after 2000 , the new crop of young blacks weren't messing with it.
FYI, white people were always the largest users of crack cocaine. They used it more than blacks on a percentage basis even back in the height of the crack epidemic. Black people are usually less likely to use drugs than other minorities nationally, even compared against Hispanics.

Maybe out west this is different but across the country, black people are less likely to use drugs. Many people think it stems from the heroine epidemic of the late 60s/1970s.

Many posters on these forums like to relate the issues facing black Americans to social welfare programs but they fail to realize what a horrible impact that heroine had on black communities in the late 60s/early 70s. As stated by a PP (who made an excellent post) these drugs were brought in to control black people who were increasingly rioting and resisting injustice brought upon them from state sponsored racism. Many people focus the civil rights history on the south because it was much less violent and much more complacent like and easier for whites at the time to handle, but in the Midwest and Northeast and out West black movements were much more aggressive and confrontational and they scared the powers that be into what many feel and what lots of evidence shows was a concentrated effort by a government to get black people hooked on these drugs. Unfortunately, it, along with other methods, primarily the COINTELPRO operation, these tactics worked and once black neighborhoods recovered from heroine, it was too late and their neighborhoods were ruined. Heroine addiction and then crack cocaine were the main reasons that out of wedlock births increased in black families and the reasons why there was much less economic progress on the part of black people in this country during that time period.

I feel fortunate in that now, I know not to touch those drugs and I do feel that here down south, the epidemics were later than they were for me in the Midwest as I do still know black people who use both crack and heroine currently, because as stated, I live in a neighborhood known as a place to score heroine. But even with those current black addicts, the whites from the suburbs are the people you see driving through my neighborhood the most, other than the residents. I know most of the people in a 3-4 block vicinity of my home. My husband has been approached a couple times by whites asking him if he sold drugs. Even one of my elderly neighbors, a male, has been asked numerous times according to him so many of us residents press the police to pull over and harass the whites like they do blacks in our neighborhood and luckily our police have begun to do just that. They used to stop me quite often for no reason but they haven't done so in years and the few white residents I know say they are stopped at least twice a month by police asking them what they are doing in the neighborhood.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:53 PM

582 posts, read 970,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI, white people were always the largest users of crack cocaine. They used it more than blacks on a percentage basis even back in the height of the crack epidemic. Black people are usually less likely to use drugs than other minorities nationally, even compared against Hispanics.

Maybe out west this is different but across the country, black people are less likely to use drugs. Many people think it stems from the heroine epidemic of the late 60s/1970s.

Many posters on these forums like to relate the issues facing black Americans to social welfare programs but they fail to realize what a horrible impact that heroine had on black communities in the late 60s/early 70s. As stated by a PP (who made an excellent post) these drugs were brought in to control black people who were increasingly rioting and resisting injustice brought upon them from state sponsored racism. Many people focus the civil rights history on the south because it was much less violent and much more complacent like and easier for whites at the time to handle, but in the Midwest and Northeast and out West black movements were much more aggressive and confrontational and they scared the powers that be into what many feel and what lots of evidence shows was a concentrated effort by a government to get black people hooked on these drugs. Unfortunately, it, along with other methods, primarily the COINTELPRO operation, these tactics worked and once black neighborhoods recovered from heroine, it was too late and their neighborhoods were ruined. Heroine addiction and then crack cocaine were the main reasons that out of wedlock births increased in black families and the reasons why there was much less economic progress on the part of black people in this country during that time period.

I feel fortunate in that now, I know not to touch those drugs and I do feel that here down south, the epidemics were later than they were for me in the Midwest as I do still know black people who use both crack and heroine currently, because as stated, I live in a neighborhood known as a place to score heroine. But even with those current black addicts, the whites from the suburbs are the people you see driving through my neighborhood the most, other than the residents. I know most of the people in a 3-4 block vicinity of my home. My husband has been approached a couple times by whites asking him if he sold drugs. Even one of my elderly neighbors, a male, has been asked numerous times according to him so many of us residents press the police to pull over and harass the whites like they do blacks in our neighborhood and luckily our police have begun to do just that. They used to stop me quite often for no reason but they haven't done so in years and the few white residents I know say they are stopped at least twice a month by police asking them what they are doing in the neighborhood.
Good post.

As I stated before, most poor minorities and working class joes can't afford a $400 a day addiction. But you know who can? A rich white kid in the 'burbs who's parents make six figures annually.

Where I live in the Baltimore area, heroin never went out of style. Even in the early 2000's, Baltimore ranked as the heroin capital of the United States. Approximately one out of ten Baltimore city residents is addicted to heroin. Many poor unemployed and homeless dope addicts in Baltimore hustle up thousands of dollars a month doing odd jobs, running hacks, robbing people and pawning in stolen goods and junk to afford their astronomically expensive deadly addiction. Massive swaths of Baltimore are organized for selling and using dope, The Wire showed that to the world.

A Bleak Narrative Behind the Title “Heroin Capital” | Welcome to Baltimore, Hon!

Baltimore is mostly black (around 60%), but a huge to maybe even dominant percentage of native whites in Baltimore city, proper, face the same problems with poverty, unemployment and addiction as blacks in that city. In certain cities like New Orleans and Baltimore, heroin use has always been popular and socially acceptable among the large black populations in those cities. Where I'm from in the Bay Area, heroin was popular in the inner city amongst blacks throughout the 80's and 90's as was crack. After all, Too $hort called Oakland the "city of dope" in the mid 80's; the moniker has stuck.

Heroin in other cities was replaced with crack during the 80's. DC is a prime example. Although DC was arguably the most violent crack-ravaged major city of the 80's and early 90's, the subsiding of the crack epidemic has allowed DC to slowly gentrify over the course of 20 something years into being a shadow of its former self. Baltimore will always be a bombed out dope fiend city where every other street is a dope trench because there is no reason to gentrify Baltimore and the fact that South American cartels established exclusive connections with Baltimore to bring the city extremely potent heroin that cannot be purchased in other cities.

Also, its ironic that Baltimore, which is one of the poorest places with a population over 250K, is located a commutable distance away from many of the top ten richest suburban counties in America (all of which are majority white areas) in Howard and Montgomery Counties in Maryland and Falls Church, Loudoun and Fairfax counties in Northern Virginia.

The D.C. suburbs dominate the list of wealthiest U.S. counties

The biggest heroin city in America located right near the richest and whitest suburbs in America? Coincidence? I think not. News articles detailing white children of wealthy suburban Maryland and Northern Virginia commuting to Baltimore for smack (and many times dying of overdoses) prove this point.

Drug Overdoses on Rise in Virginia, Maryland | NBC4 Washington

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 02-24-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 02:05 PM

43,403 posts, read 43,295,296 times
Quote:
Whites in America are truly lost.

Its no wonder they would become degenerate drug addicts. I've witnesseditmy whole life.

Nearly every white I know is addicted to pills, alcohol, hard drugs. I knew a white lady whose own daughter was stealing from her.this is sadly the norm for whites.
What a ridiculous statement to make, but I think you're doing that on purpose.

Of course, I can't say that it isn't true that nearly every white person you know is an addict--who knows what sort of people you hang out with!

Most white people are, of course, NOT addicts, anymore than the majority of any other group are addicts.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:19 PM

20,237 posts, read 15,068,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI, white people were always the largest users of crack cocaine. They used it more than blacks on a percentage basis even back in the height of the crack epidemic.
cites.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:49 PM

582 posts, read 970,955 times
Quote:
If you said black commit most crime, hispanics dint value education have too many children, iid have to agree.

Its a fact that whites consume drugs at the rate blacks do and probably more so now since crack isn't a staple in black America. The fact is white people got a drug addiction problem that is very connected to their community.

As a hispanic I can say this from the outside looking in. Your people love drugs. End of story. Stop blaming others for calling the truth out and work on fixing it in your community!
I think drug abuse is so high in America, across the board, because we have become a Godless society. Americans don't feel connected to anyone or anything. It is especially prevalent among whites where there is no true sense of racial unity, culture, tradition or pride. Hot dogs, hamburgers, McDonald's and Starbucks has come to define white American "culture". White pride is seen as racist in America.

White people in the suburbs are born and raised in vacuums devoid of a real long established storied culture where every house and street is designed to look the same. Although white American culture is dominant in this country, it is hard to define and its origins are even more needlessly obscure. White American culture is not seen as being hip or cool. Rather it is seen as rigid, uptight and needlessly formal even by millions of white Americans, themselves, who will willing admit black urban culture is inherently "cooler" even though black urban culture comes from years of systematic racial oppression and pain. Even though black neighborhoods are "crime ridden" they are colorful hubs of culture. There are people in Japan and Europe who try their hardest to dress, talk and walk like blacks and Chicanos in Los Angeles.

Whites in the suburbs are taught to believe that they are "normal" and in effect raceless among minorities who are defined as being "ethnic". This is stupid because every human being possesses ethnicity. But this white American denial of ethnicity has birthed a widespread feeling of disconnect in white people amongst each other and killed their sense of community. Rigid institutional racism in the form of widespread residential segregation has also stopped people of different races from associating with one another in most areas of the country. People are people at the end of the day. Any healthy man and woman can produce a baby no matter what "race" they belong.

American culture also stresses independence and self-reliance. Even though the model is outdated, people are expected to move out at age 18 in America and start supporting themselves immediately. Other countries aren't like this. Latino, African and Asian cultures stress a reliance on family and responsibility to family. Around the world, people don't move out of their parents house until they get married. Your parents took care of you since you were born, why not help give back to your aging parents? Extended family households are common in black, African, Asian and Latino families where grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles all live together. Whites disproportionately shove their grandparents into old folks homes and refuse to do anything for their parents after they've "moved out".

The American overemphasis on self-reliance severs people's ties to others. There is little sense of community in sterilized antiseptic white suburban neighborhoods where people don't know or talk to their neighbors and are scared of each other hiding behind security systems and suspecting the worst of each other from what they see on the evening news and gather about people from sizing them up on the color of their skin, what kind of car they drive etc. Quality friendships have been declining for Americans for years. A huge percentage of Americans report having no close friends or confidants.

http://www.wilsonquarterly.com/essay...ca-land-loners

Relationships no longer are romantic and first dates feel like job interviews as potential partners are more interested in what you do for a living, how much money you make a year and how much money is in your checking account as opposed to what's in your mind and your heart. Many women, even those only in their 20's, refuse to date a man who doesn't have a great paying job in the worst economy since the great depression. In many areas of the country (especially where I live in the Baltimore-DC Area) people are uptight, cold and antisocial. We try to make ourselves happy by spending money we don't really have by buying overpriced meaningless plastic crap made by slaves in China to impress people we don't like. When that doesn't make us happy, many of us turn to alcohol and drug addiction.

Many Americans, of all races, feel this hopeless isolation brought on by our cold modern western culture where childhood friendships die, we are expected to be happy living in one person households with no real friends and nothing seems to make us happy. America is engineered to be this way. Our culture is based on consumerism and being eternally insatiable. The Superbowl is literally hours of commercials briefly interrupted by a few minutes of game time. Suburban whites, as a group, have the most money compounded with the most leisure time on their hands as well as the most profound cultural disconnect in a country owned by white people. The end result is that whites do more drugs.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 02-24-2014 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 09:04 PM

10,597 posts, read 4,683,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
I think drug abuse is so high in America, across the board, because we have become a Godless society. Americans don't feel connected to anyone or anything. It is especially prevalent among whites where there is no true sense of racial unity, culture, tradition or pride. Hot dogs, hamburgers, McDonald's and Starbucks has come to define white American "culture". White pride is seen as racist in America.

White people in the suburbs are born and raised in vacuums devoid of a real long established storied culture where every house and street is designed to look the same. Although white American culture is dominant in this country, it is hard to define and its origins are even more needlessly obscure. White American culture is not seen as being hip or cool. Rather it is seen as rigid, uptight and needlessly formal even by millions of white Americans, themselves, who will willing admit black urban culture is inherently "cooler" even though black urban culture comes from years of systematic racial oppression and pain. Even though black neighborhoods are "crime ridden" they are colorful hubs of culture. There are people in Japan and Europe who try their hardest to dress, talk and walk like blacks and Chicanos in Los Angeles.

Whites in the suburbs are taught to believe that they are "normal" and in effect raceless among minorities who are defined as being "ethnic". This is stupid because every human being possesses ethnicity. But this white American denial of ethnicity has birthed a widespread feeling of disconnect in white people amongst each other and killed their sense of community. Rigid institutional racism in the form of widespread residential segregation has also stopped people of different races from associating with one another in most areas of the country. People are people at the end of the day. Any healthy man and woman can produce a baby no matter what "race" they belong.

American culture also stresses independence and self-reliance. Even though the model is outdated, people are expected to move out at age 18 in America and start supporting themselves immediately. Other countries aren't like this. Latino, African and Asian cultures stress a reliance on family and responsibility to family. Around the world, people don't move out of their parents house until they get married. Your parents took care of you since you were born, why not help give back to your aging parents? Extended family households are common in black, African, Asian and Latino families where grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles all live together. Whites disproportionately shove their grandparents into old folks homes and refuse to do anything for their parents after they've "moved out".

The American overemphasis on self-reliance severs people's ties to others. There is little sense of community in sterilized antiseptic white suburban neighborhoods where people don't know or talk to their neighbors and are scared of each other hiding behind security systems and suspecting the worst of each other from what they see on the evening news and gather about people from sizing them up on the color of their skin, what kind of car they drive etc. Quality friendships have been declining for Americans for years. A huge percentage of Americans report having no close friends or confidants.

America: Land of Loners? | Wilson Quarterly

Relationships no longer are romantic and first dates feel like job interviews as potential partners are more interested in what you do for a living, how much money you make a year and how much money is in your checking account as opposed to what's in your mind and your heart. Many women, even those only in their 20's, refuse to date a man who doesn't have a great paying job in the worst economy since the great depression. In many areas of the country (especially where I live in the Baltimore-DC Area) people are uptight, cold and antisocial. We try to make ourselves happy by spending money we don't really have by buying overpriced meaningless plastic crap made by slaves in China to impress people we don't like. When that doesn't make us happy, many of us turn to alcohol and drug addiction.

Many Americans, of all races, feel this hopeless isolation brought on by our cold modern western culture where childhood friendships die, we are expected to be happy living in one person households with no real friends and nothing seems to make us happy. America is engineered to be this way. Our culture is based on consumerism and being eternally insatiable. The Superbowl is literally hours of commercials briefly interrupted by a few minutes of game time. Suburban whites, as a group, have the most money compounded with the most leisure time on their hands as well as the most profound cultural disconnect in a country owned by white people. The end result is that whites do more drugs.
Good post.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 PM

41,950 posts, read 20,472,245 times
At the end of the day, addicts are addicts, and I don't want any of my American brothers or sisters regardless of their race being hooked on hard drugs

Doesn't matter to me what race they are. I don't wanna be like a SOME white people when they see a problem in the black community and not care because they don't see blacks as their fellow citizens and someone they should care about because of their race.

Again, I'm for legalizing all dope because keeping it illegal makes the problems much worse. But it kills me to see people strung out on drugs.

It especially hits home for me lately because I was such a fan of Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies