Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,545,824 times

Advertisements

Here's the amazing REEFER MADNESS version of what Kratom is. T-310 will love it!

'Kratom': More addictive than heroin? - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 03:43 PM

29,691 posts, read 24,753,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Here's the amazing REEFER MADNESS version of what Kratom is. T-310 will love it!
I prefer Guinness to heroin. Guess it's time to check into rehab

Old 07-25-2014, 05:36 PM

31 posts, read 48,463 times
My son is addicted to Kratom. He said it happened very quickly because he was using the tinctures and the withdrawal is as ugly as opiate withdrawal. He tells me every few weeks that he is going to just cold turkey but it has now been 6 months. I believe he will have to go into rehab in order to kick this addiction.

I am a child of the 60s and have had exposure to the drug culture so I am in no way naive about it or a lover of the DEA and Big Pharma. This is a serious substance that is highly addictive and the video of the young lady above is not an exaggeration.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:55 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,278,571 times
A pain killer that won't kill your liver? Unacceptable. Ban it!

Old 07-26-2014, 11:39 AM

13,620 posts, read 12,700,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
With it looking like marijuana will lose its illegality status, we better find a new drug to ban in its place. Let's call it the new heroin to get legislators to ban it.

Kratom May Be Legal But DEA Pushing To Ban The Controversial Drug « CBS Los Angeles

more fuel for the cartels.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:20 PM

863 posts, read 1,192,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNMfromNJ View Post
My son is addicted to Kratom. He said it happened very quickly because he was using the tinctures and the withdrawal is as ugly as opiate withdrawal. He tells me every few weeks that he is going to just cold turkey but it has now been 6 months. I believe he will have to go into rehab in order to kick this addiction.

I am a child of the 60s and have had exposure to the drug culture so I am in no way naive about it or a lover of the DEA and Big Pharma. This is a serious substance that is highly addictive and the video of the young lady above is not an exaggeration.
Sorry to hear about your son but FYI, getting off Kratom is far easier than getting off opiates. It just involves tapering and some willpower. Unfortunately (and reputable distributors are realizing this too late) Kratom, as a plain leaf is about as addictive as coffee. The big mistake came when people started concentrating the leaf into potent tinctures and extracts. Most people find them to be cost prohibitive and avoid serious addiction because at that point - heroin is vastly cheaper. There are many Kratom forums out there with dozens of threads on how to kick Kratom for those who have gone over the line. The community takes care of their own and in the process it's starting to address the issue of concentrates. It's unfortunate because they have their uses, when used wisely and sparingly.

I'm sort of surprised that no one has tried to create a caffeine extract........it's effects would be about the same addiction wise. It happens with every drug to come down the pike. In the 80's people figured out how to purify their cut cocaine so they could smoke it as freebase, From heroin, Krokodil sprang it's ugly head and now people are turning simple old marijuana into something much more potent by using butane extraction of THC and concocting "shatter"

There's always going to be a fringe element intent on taking things to the next level (often for monetary gain) and abusing what nature created as a perfectly usable, safe ethnobotanical by concentrating, extracting, distilling or otherwise monkeying with what nature has given us.

Again.........it's too bad about your son but that's no reason to vilify an herb that's still helping tens of thousands who use it responsibly. My wife and I have been using Kratom for over 7 years now, with breaks now and then, for a variety of ailments. I use it for pain control rather than opiates and it's made a huge difference in my quality of life. My wife used it after doctors tried to turn her into a zombie with anti-anxiety meds after the death of our twins. It's also an auto immune booster.....but you won't hear that in the media hysteria. In the last 7 years, neither one of us has had as much as a sniffle. It's also lowered my blood pressure so I don't have to take some kind of pharmaceutical that gives me migraines and has a dozen other "possible " side effects.

So, because your son went down a stupid path, everybody out there who uses this plant responsibly has to suffer? That's like saying, my kid was in a car accident because has was doing 110, lost control, crashed and ended up paralyzed so I want cars banned or cars that go faster than 40 mph banned. Even after 7 years of 3-4 x a week use, both my wife and myself could quit Kratom with the same amount of discomfort associated with caffeine withdrawal........but frankly I don't want to because then I'd be at the mercies of the medical establishment once again with my destroyed back.

If you wish, you can PM me and I'll direct you to some great Kratom resources that can help with your son's problem but please don't lump him in with the vast number of us who use the leaf responsibly. I for one, like to have the option of saying NO to the big pharmaceutical companies because I have natural alternatives.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:29 PM

3,556 posts, read 4,376,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
From a quick look (I'd never seen or heard of it before), there's plenty wrong with it.

Chemically, the "active" parts strongly resemble morphine in behavior.

Addiction and overdose are just as bad and withdrawal is bad.
With all due respect, I strongly disagree with comparing kratom (at least the Maeng Da strain) to morphine.

After reading up on kratom for several weeks, I purchased Maeng Da kratom in powdered and capsule form. I decided to try it in order to improve my level of alertness at the start of my early morning shift (i.e., 0400) at the power plant I work in.

After using kratom for 4 weeks at the start of my shift, and only during my days of work, I've found that its effects are slightly more ebullient than 2 cups of black coffee minus the associated caffeine jitteriness. In addition, it does improve focus for approximately 2 hours which is perfect for my needs.

At this point, I can't say I feel any form of addiction or dependence and I obviously hope not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies