U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:45 PM

21,670 posts, read 10,561,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Putin doesn't need to invade the Ukraine. A new election is likely to see a President with allegiance to Russia:

Commentary: The Ukraine Story the Media is Missing | The National Interest
likely is not used in your source piece, and the fact that the previous President,Viktor Yushchenko, was pro western kinda negates your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 07:51 PM

58,445 posts, read 31,781,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Hitler tried that once, and it didn't work.
The west Ukrainians joined the Nazis and killed countless east Ukrainian Jews.

'I'll be fighting Jews and Russians till I die': Ukrainian right-wing militants aiming for power

http://rt.com/news/ukraine-right-sector-militants-210/

Aleksandr Muzychko is a notorious nationalist leader. Back in 2007 he pledged to fight against "communists, Jews and Russians for as long as blood flows in his veins," openly saying that leading the fight against all of the above mentioned groups is his "credo."

*Advertisement

Ukrainian Rabbi Moshe Reuven Azman, called on Kiev's Jews to leave the city and even the country if possible, fearing that the city's Jews will be victimized in the chaos, Israeli daily Maariv reported Friday.

"I told my congregation to leave the city center or the city all together and if possible the country too," Rabbi Azman told Maariv. "I don't want to tempt fate," he added, "but there are constant warnings concerning intentions to attack Jewish institutions."

According to the paper's report Azman closed the Jewish community's schools but still holds three daily prayers. He said the Israeli embassy told members of the Jewish community to avoid leaving their homes.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:57 PM

47,316 posts, read 24,551,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

'I'll be fighting Jews and Russians till I die': Ukrainian right-wing militants aiming for power

Aleksandr Muzychko is a notorious nationalist leader. Back in 2007 he pledged to fight against "communists, Jews and Russians for as long as blood flows in his veins," openly saying that leading the fight against all of the above mentioned groups is his "credo."

*Advertisement

Ukrainian Rabbi Moshe Reuven Azman, called on Kiev's Jews to leave the city and even the country if possible, fearing that the city's Jews will be victimized in the chaos, Israeli daily Maariv reported Friday.

"I told my congregation to leave the city center or the city all together and if possible the country too," Rabbi Azman told Maariv. "I don't want to tempt fate," he added, "but there are constant warnings concerning intentions to attack Jewish institutions."

According to the paper's report Azman closed the Jewish community's schools but still holds three daily prayers. He said the Israeli embassy told members of the Jewish community to avoid leaving their homes.
I can't believe that Jews are still hanging around the Ukraine.

They're probably the biggest murderer of Jews during the Holocaust (after the Germans and Austrians of course).

Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 PM

7,249 posts, read 6,394,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

*Advertisement

The reality is the ethnic Ukrainians were a lot like the baltic states in that they had briefly been independent and the non-Russian populations deeply wanted to become independent again so, yeah, when they saw a chance to help fight for independence they took it even if it meant allying with Nazi Germany.

It doesn't make it right just understandable as a logical course of action especially after the Russian Civil War, the liquidation of the Kulaks, and the history of Stalinist repression. Drowning people will grasp on to a savior even if he's not that nice of a guy.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 PM

58,445 posts, read 31,781,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The reality is the ethnic Ukrainians were a lot like the baltic states in that they had briefly been independent and the non-Russian populations deeply wanted to become independent again so, yeah, when they saw a chance to help fight for independence they took it even if it meant allying with Nazi Germany.

It doesn't make it right just understandable as a logical course of action especially after the Russian Civil War, the liquidation of the Kulaks, and the history of Stalinist repression. Drowning people will grasp on to a savior even if he's not that nice of a guy.
Yes, it has been pure misery in Ukraine since WW-I.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:38 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,146,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
My family emigrated to America from the Ukraine after WWII, I still have family over there, so I have a little more investment in this than most. I don't think Putin will put troops on the ground. Ukraine is after all the 4th largest nuclear power on earth. With this current instability, who knows who has the keys to those nukes? This could get ugly very fast. In fact, this couldn't have happened at a worse time for Putin, with the eyes of the world focused on Sochi.

As for "surplus populations", is that you Ted Nudgent? That is the same rhetoric used by Nazis along with "Sub-human Mongrels". Great company some people keep.
I don't think that you have to worry about the nukes. They are under tight control, I am sure. After the Soviet Union fell there was a lot of talk about loose nukes floating around but nothing came of it. Fortunately it takes a lot of people to fire a nuke. Its a complicated process that can be screwed up very easy and by screwing up I mean not being able to detonate a nuke.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:41 PM

[quote=desertdetroiter;33593893]I can't believe that Jews are still hanging around the Ukraine.

They're probably the biggest murderer of Jews during the Holocaust (after the Germans and Austrians of course).[/quote

Don't forget the Poles. Many people believe that what ever happened at Auschwitz was as much the Poles doings as the Germans. At least the shipping of the Polish jews to Auschwitz had heavy Polish involvement.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I don't think they hate us, this current conflict has more to do with allegiance to either Russia or the EU.
If the Ukrainians hate us it is because we sided with the Soviet Union in WW2 which put them under the Soviet dictatorship for 45 more years that it would have been if we hadn't sided with them.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Agreed- Putin would love to establish a New Russia, that would include
Georgia, the Ukraine, and several other components of the old USSR.
In Russia's mind they have to have Ukraine for strategic reasons. you see on the map that Russia has no natural geographic defense in the west. It is a flat plain all the way from western Europe to Russia.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:49 PM

10,860 posts, read 6,556,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
likely is not used in your source piece, and the fact that the previous President,Viktor Yushchenko, was pro western kinda negates your point.
It's a deeply divided country.

The smart thing to do would be to break it apart, but the politicians are too greedy to consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies