Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:03 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times

Advertisements

These people are criminals and they need to face the music. I don't care if a small force goes to England and brings them back to face trial. The English should hand them over when we ask. If they do, no problem. If they don't we will go and get them. Either way they are not going to rob and steal us blind and then think they can lay around the beach in a foreign country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Kidnapping a terrorist or war criminal is one thing. But if the article the OP linked is accurate, the US government is saying they have the right to kidnap common criminals. The ones in the article are wanted for common business fraud.

This is not a practice we should be advocating. Remember, what we do other nations will follow. If we kidnap a citizen off of the streets of London then what's to prevent police from London from grabbing a common business criminal off the streets of Washington?
If he is a criminal and he is hiding here and the Brits asked us to send him back and we do nothing, I have no problem with them coming to get him. In fact, I'd be happy to help!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
What would you posters think if Venezuela started “forcibly rendition" of American oil company executives for their economic crimes against the Venezuelan people and government? Or have the Chileans taking WB and IMF executives for the same crimes? Would you true blue conservatives be happy about that?

This is not a road the world wants to travel.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:28 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
This sort of thing used to happen quite a bit on American soil. Dissidents from countries like Poland or Czechoslovakia would be assassinated or kidnapped by the foreign security services of those countries. As I recall, we strongly opposed that, and even started providing diplomatic-level security to certain high-profile individuals.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
you guys are looking at this ALL wrong. America by all standards is the greatest country on the planet earth, hell in history. Right, wrong, good, bad, act of war, act of terrorism; it's what WE (The U.S.A.) say it is.
There speaks a person who has never lived anywhere else.
Dont talk *******s pal im going to let you into a little secret America used to be the best nation on earth no longer.
Standards dont make me laugh you have to realize that every nation depends on trade and at this moment in time nobody wants to even trade with the USA and thats bloody sad.
If you ask me my opinion the best nation on earth is australia no question.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:57 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
I agree with Kev. Too often criminals are allowed to escape justice by hiding in other countries. Our so-called allies provide sanctuary and stone wall to the max degree. We should have the right to go get them when this happens. I would have no issue with other countries doing the same to our criminals hiding here.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
These people are criminals and they need to face the music. I don't care if a small force goes to England and brings them back to face trial. The English should hand them over when we ask. If they do, no problem. If they don't we will go and get them. Either way they are not going to rob and steal us blind and then think they can lay around the beach in a foreign country.
Ummmm then let that force come and try it mate ,, and see what happens to that force.
Dont forget who trained delta force ??? 22 SAS.
Anybody who breaks a countries soverignty is subject to their laws.
So what your saying pal is this if an American citizen breaks a British law is ok for us to send a small clandestine force to kidnapp said U.S citizen and bring him back to the UK for trial.
If your saying thats ok then ok i will bow to your convictions.
Just for your information British special forces have been tasked in the past to do that for the U.S and we are extremley good at it.
We have even done it for other nations .
Infact we excell at being sneaky so whats good for you is good for the rest of the world.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:32 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Our so-called allies provide sanctuary and stone wall to the max degree.
What you really mean to say is that their extradition procedures operate on the assumption of innocent until proven guilty and require some standard of evidence to warrant an extradition, instead of "he's guilty and we know it because there are two birds in that tree over yon" or "we're the US and we said so."

Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainscarlet View Post
Ummmm then let that force come and try it mate ,, and see what happens to that force.
Dont forget who trained delta force ??? 22 SAS.
Anybody who breaks a countries soverignty is subject to their laws.
So what your saying pal is this if an American citizen breaks a British law is ok for us to send a small clandestine force to kidnapp said U.S citizen and bring him back to the UK for trial.
If your saying thats ok then ok i will bow to your convictions.
Just for your information British special forces have been tasked in the past to do that for the U.S and we are extremley good at it.
We have even done it for other nations .
Infact we excell at being sneaky so whats good for you is good for the rest of the world.
Yah but we do have more guns, more to prove, and a lot less self-restraint. Do you reaaaaaaaalllllly wanna talk about retaliation against any kind of american force what so ever? Lordy that could end badly. I wanna be able to visit London in my lifetime.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:38 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
this is exactly what the US needs, to **** off our last friend on the planet, what a wonderful job this Bush administration has done for us

I agree but as USUAL I don't see the Pelosi doing a thing about it nor saying a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies