Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have been doing that all my entire life. I use words primarily from Greek, Latin, German, and Angles (which originated from Germany). The Saxon scum originated from France, so I do not use that filth.
Lol! How do you manage that, with such a wealth of French origins in the English lexicon?
Everything from infantry to artillery to cabbage to saxophone comes from the French language.
Your spoken vocabulary must be very limited, indeed.

List of English words of French origin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
I have been doing that all my entire life. I use words primarily from Greek, Latin, German, and Angles (which originated from Germany). The Saxon scum originated from France, so I do not use that filth.
Well the word, "language" itself derives from old French word "langage" and you did use that word earlier, so I'm calling shenanigans on that claim...

Also you used "entire" in your last post which derives from the old French word "entier".

Old 02-25-2014, 05:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well the word, "language" itself derives from old French word "langage" and you did use that word earlier, so I'm calling shenanigans on that claim...

Also you used "entire" in your last post which derives from the old French word "entier".
Meh. He's all talk.

French talk.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

Actually, the word "language" comes from Latin "linguaticum." If you want to sound like a filthy Frog, or worse yet - a Canadian, that is entirely your choice. I choose not to utter such excrement.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Meh. He's all talk.

French talk.
Just let him go back to eating his "freedom fries" and eating his non-French vanilla ice cream...

Old 02-25-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Actually, the word "language" comes from Latin "linguaticum." If you want to sound like a filthy Frog, or worse yet - a Canadian, that is entirely your choice. I choose not to utter such excrement.
Language comes from the French "langage" which came from the Latin word "lingua". The English word "language" wouldn't really exist without the French word(otherwise you'd be saying "French and Spanish are two filthy 'lingua' I will never learn").

You should probably just stop speaking most of the Latin-derived English words since a good number of them came over with the Norman French...

Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
70% of the English vocabulary comes from French. You can't speak English without using French origins.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
No, the word "language" comes from the Latin "lingua", which then become "langage" in Old French, which was borrowed by Middle English as "language". The English word originate directly from the French, while the French word originates from Latin.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:21 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Probably because French is viewed as a chic language. The language of Paris and high fashion, amazing food, artistic marvels, high class. Aside from English, it's the language of diplomacy. It's also often regarded as the most beautiful language in the world (Italian is a common contender).

Spanish, from an American perspective is the language of Mexico, landscapers, and cleaning staff. Spanish doesn't have the cultural or chic reputation that French has.
Agreed. Tho the good rep of the French language doesn't apply to Quebec IMHO.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I've heard it before. Spanish is the language of the ghetto. Spanish speakers are looked down upon in this country. Despite millions upon millions of French speakers living in 3rd world countries (French speaking former colony countries are less developed, as a whole, than former Spanish colonies), French enjoys a better reputation in the US than Spanish does. Is there an inherent bias against Spanish? Seems like a lot of Americans have no idea that Spanish is a European language, with its home country bordering France. But, when it comes to French, pretty much even a redneck would probably know French is a European language and France is in Europe.
Association.. If there were millions upon millions of French speaking illegals running roughshod over the countryside thumbing their nose at our laws and traditions you may find a lot of loathing and contempt for it/them. Our neighbors that do speak French seem to have a better understanding... uhh, respect for our laws and a cleaner rep than our Spanish speaking neighbors. Even a ****** should be able to figure this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies