Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Blacks had to sell their homes to the Whites to even begin gentrification.
The Whites didn't just "take it from them" now did they ?
Sounds as if someone thinks that some white people snuck into the neighborhood one night and sprinkled fairy dust and the next morning the neighborhood was transformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 02:49 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
That would just be a further push toward the "rich" paying for everything. Everyone uses or benifits from the community such as schools, parks, police, roads, public transit, etc., why should only a few pay for that? On top of paying much larger income taxes.

I live in a state which artificially keeps property taxes low for long time homeowners. It is a shill of a program that keeps babyboomers wealthy and forces the young to foot the ever increasing bill. Property tax protection is just rent control for home owners. Everyone should pay the same rate.
I am not rich and I would not be affected by the idea that I am proposing - to offer an exemption to people who are current residents but who are either disabled, elderly or meet specific income requirements.

You asked a question and I responded. And it would be easy peasy if everyone could pay the same rate, but everyone cannot. As a middle income person I know this and am fortunate that I do have enough to pay my $1200 a year in annual taxes for my neighborhood. At one point, due to an error in tax assessment, we had to pay $5500 a year for our property taxes and I can pay that too. My elderly neighbors though, who make under $14K per year on SS cannot pay that much for their house and they are valued members of our neighborhood and I would rather they be taken care of.

FWIW, in the Atlanta forum there was a discussion about a neighborhood called Cabbagetown here, it is an area where poor white people used to live. Very few of the original residents remain due to gentrification that occurred in that neighborhood and as I stated poverty stricken white people in the city of Atlanta is statistically non-existent. Practically everyone in this neighborhood was living in poverty prior to the gentrification. One of the posters in that thread said he went to rent a place over there during the time gentrification was happening and rents were still cheap. One of the requirements of renters was to look out for the older people and help them and check on them to ensure they were okay. This attitude of community is something that I personally would like to keep in my own neighborhood. I am not poor but contrary to what people stereotype as poor people behavior, I personally feel that lower income people value their friends and familial connections moreso than those in upper income areas who mostly engage in small talk and don't really know each other. We have a very strong community and are advocating for specific goals and there is a bond between us that is lost when new residents move in who are not interested in joining our community.

So to me, grandfathering in our current residents at their present tax rate is a good fix for this. If the house is sold, then they can be increased to current levels but there should be ways to help people stay in homes that they own especially IMO.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:53 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Well, I'm sure that the whites who were there before the blacks "degentrified" those areas were equally outraged.
Did they get priced out or did they flee?

Old 02-26-2014, 02:55 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I don't hear white celebrities complaining about what happened to their neighborhoods when they moved out. What is wrong with blacks lifting up their brethren, or do you want someone else to do it?

I lived in Brooklyn all my life. I saw several areas go through gentrification. I saw areas go through cycles. So, I do think I know something about it. What qualifies you that makes you an expert?
You don't hear other black celebrities mentioning it either. You hear one guy and then go on to ask why other rich black folks don't do anything to help their former communities. Give it a rest.

I'm in the DC area and gentrification is alive and well here. Same song, different station.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:07 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
How are blacks being forced to move out? No one is forcing anyone to move anywhere.
because blacks cant afford to live there anymore. someone comes in tears an apartment building down where you were paying saying 1000 a month. now you turn it into condos that now cost $2000 a month. UNAFFORDABLE

Old 02-26-2014, 03:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am not rich and I would not be affected by the idea that I am proposing - to offer an exemption to people who are current residents but who are either disabled, elderly or meet specific income requirements.

You asked a question and I responded. And it would be easy peasy if everyone could pay the same rate, but everyone cannot. As a middle income person I know this and am fortunate that I do have enough to pay my $1200 a year in annual taxes for my neighborhood. At one point, due to an error in tax assessment, we had to pay $5500 a year for our property taxes and I can pay that too. My elderly neighbors though, who make under $14K per year on SS cannot pay that much for their house and they are valued members of our neighborhood and I would rather they be taken care of.

FWIW, in the Atlanta forum there was a discussion about a neighborhood called Cabbagetown here, it is an area where poor white people used to live. Very few of the original residents remain due to gentrification that occurred in that neighborhood and as I stated poverty stricken white people in the city of Atlanta is statistically non-existent. Practically everyone in this neighborhood was living in poverty prior to the gentrification. One of the posters in that thread said he went to rent a place over there during the time gentrification was happening and rents were still cheap. One of the requirements of renters was to look out for the older people and help them and check on them to ensure they were okay. This attitude of community is something that I personally would like to keep in my own neighborhood. I am not poor but contrary to what people stereotype as poor people behavior, I personally feel that lower income people value their friends and familial connections moreso than those in upper income areas who mostly engage in small talk and don't really know each other. We have a very strong community and are advocating for specific goals and there is a bond between us that is lost when new residents move in who are not interested in joining our community.

So to me, grandfathering in our current residents at their present tax rate is a good fix for this. If the house is sold, then they can be increased to current levels but there should be ways to help people stay in homes that they own especially IMO.
Staying in a home comes with a cost, it is part of home ownership. I should not have a higher tax burden to subsidize someone else's house because they planned poorly. If that same old person gets a leaky roof should the tax payers pick up that tab as well? I know it makes you feel good to help others, but someone pays for that help, and as someone who is doing the paying, I cannot afford to pay more. My quality of life is already noticeably degraded by the overburden of taxes, but it is never enough, more must always be paid, insert sad story here can always be found and the cycle repeats.

Maybe people should be able to keep their lower tax rate if they reduce use of services. Like in some areas of the country, it you don't pay the fee for fire protection the fire department will let your house burn down as long as no one is inside or police will not respond to any calls unless bodily harm is immanent.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:16 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
because blacks cant afford to live there anymore. someone comes in tears an apartment building down where you were paying saying 1000 a month. now you turn it into condos that now cost $2000 a month. UNAFFORDABLE
And when my grandparents bought a house it was 17k, now it is worth near 1 million, this is completely unaffordable and I should be able to have a house in their neighborhood for 17k because that is what it cost in the past. Hell, the house is already over 50 years old, it should only cost 6k by now.

Maybe they should make more money so they can afford to live there. I am sure that can open up some swanky fair trade coffee shop for all those white hipsters and make all minds of money.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

California tried that and look at how their RE prices are today.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:20 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You don't hear other black celebrities mentioning it either. You hear one guy and then go on to ask why other rich black folks don't do anything to help their former communities. Give it a rest.

I'm in the DC area and gentrification is alive and well here. Same song, different station.
You want me to give it a rest why? You don't like the answers to the questions you ask? You can't actually respond to my posts? You don't like what I have to say?

YOU hear one guy complaining about his neighborhood and YOU jump on the bandwagon blaming white people for gentrification, as if black people had nothing to do with it.

Where did I say "OTHER rich black folks don't do anything to help their former communities?" I SAID if Spike is so concerned, why didn't HE do something about helping HIS community. He left the neighborhood and never looked back. That seems to happen to EVERYONE who came from nothing or came out of poverty who become successful. Some are thankful and remember where they came from (it keeps them humble) and others want to forget where they came from.

I think Spike took a wrong turn off the Gowanus and by mistake found himself in his old neighborhood and didn't recognize it. Otherwise he probably hasn't stepped foot in it since he left.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:20 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Staying in a home comes with a cost, it is part of home ownership. I should not have a higher tax burden to subsidize someone else's house because they planned poorly. If that same old person gets a leaky roof should the tax payers pick up that tab as well? I know it makes you feel good to help others, but someone pays for that help, and as someone who is doing the paying, I cannot afford to pay more. My quality of life is already noticeably degraded by the overburden of taxes, but it is never enough, more must always be paid, insert sad story here can always be found and the cycle repeats.

Maybe people should be able to keep their lower tax rate if they reduce use of services. Like in some areas of the country, it you don't pay the fee for fire protection the fire department will let your house burn down as long as no one is inside or police will not respond to any calls unless bodily harm is immanent.
In the state of GA, which is a conservative state, many municipalities already offer seniors a homestead exemption where they pay little to no taxes after the age of 62. You have a problem with that??

The poor homeowners many times do have enough to pay for upkeep of the house, also in my neighborhood, we help our older residents with home repairs for free!! So that is not an issue. And planning poorly has nothing to do with it lol.

I see you have an agenda with that statement. How does "planning poorly" have anything to do with gentrification. Are you saying that older residents should let their neighborhoods be sh** holes and encourage criminal activity so that gentrification won't happen lol. That is just silly and is just an old, played out conservative talking point. Have some original thoughts please.

It doesn't make me feel better if other people pay less, I would rather just have my good old neighbor around for as long as they want to be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies