U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:14 PM

3,030 posts, read 2,465,932 times

Advertisements

I posted this originally in a comment in the Religion forum, because it mostly deals with Christianity. But I think there is also a lot of societal pressure to conform, which makes things even more complicated. So I've added a few things here.

Let me explain to you guys what goes through the mind of a gay/sexual minority Christian person, at least for me.

I'm a guy, so growing up, I always expected that I'd eventually meet a woman, get married, and have kids. I'd be a solid provider, an awesome husband and father. Just like I'm supposed to and everybody does. Gay people were sick and weird to me, if they existed at all. They were also sinful, so me thinking that they're sick and weird is totally justifiable to me.

So puberty hits, and I notice the guys; much more so than the girls. Great, I think. I'm one of those sick, weird, sinful, and abnormal people. Maybe I can fake it or deny it and nobody would know.

But God knows everything. Besides, homosexuality isn't like other sins. You can lie, steal, commit adultery, even murder... and God will forgive you and you'll be in His good graces. Probably most people will come around to you as well if you repent. But not if you're a homosexual. God hates those people. Outside of being a child molester, it's the worst sin people could commit. They're doomed to eternal condemnation. Sure, they can turn from their ways and become straight, so every night you pray and pray and pray...

The religious people; they're right. You're just not trying enough. If only you were more righteous, maybe you'd become straight. They've got a point - it's easy to not have sex with other men. But you can't get rid of the thoughts. God knows them. Any pretending to be straight is just a lie to God, and you're caught in the sin of being homosexual and the sin of lying. There's no way out. Religious people say things that are mean to you, that are hurtful, and they reject you. But they're right. They're doing this out of love. They're doing what God wants. You're a terrible person, and there's nothing you can do...

Plus, nobody really is gay. You've got to have a girlfriend by 19, or you're not a man. Being gay means being a woman, and in this misogynistic world, that's not right. But you're not a woman, and you don't want to be. Your family will reject you, all your friends will reject you, and you'll be shamed. You'll probably get AIDS and die, and you deserve it. You won't be able to be a husband or a father, something you've always dreamed of regardless of sexual orientation. So maybe you still think you can fake it. Or maybe you can chuck it all and become a hairstylist (nothing against gay male hairstylists ) or something like that where it might be accepted.

Look, I don't want you guys to support gay marriage or even change your minds about homosexual behavior being sinful. If you do, great, but you've got convictions, and things shouldn't be forced in the name of political correctness. All I want is for your to show the love of Jesus. Know that we're all sinners, no matter what we do, who have fallen short of the glory of God. And know that the only reason we're saved is because Jesus died for our sins. He died for ALL of them. That's in the Bible, plain and clear. Or if you're not religious, simply have respect for all people, including those that are different from you. Therefore, I should be able to stand with you guys just as much as you can stand with me.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:58 PM

79,360 posts, read 33,653,273 times
I really question whether or not you had those thoughts as a little kid but it brings about my larger point....why do you give a crap what I think?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,978,960 times
No matter what sin you commit unless you ask and are given forgiveness you will not enter the kingdom of god.Applies to all sin.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:44 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,346,799 times
I am a Buddhist and we do not look down on gay people and we reject the Christian concept of "sin."

Old 02-26-2014, 08:26 PM

4,088 posts, read 3,693,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I posted this originally in a comment in the Religion forum, because it mostly deals with Christianity. But I think there is also a lot of societal pressure to conform, which makes things even more complicated. So I've added a few things here.

Let me explain to you guys what goes through the mind of a gay/sexual minority Christian person, at least for me.

I'm a guy, so growing up, I always expected that I'd eventually meet a woman, get married, and have kids. I'd be a solid provider, an awesome husband and father. Just like I'm supposed to and everybody does. Gay people were sick and weird to me, if they existed at all. They were also sinful, so me thinking that they're sick and weird is totally justifiable to me.

So puberty hits, and I notice the guys; much more so than the girls. Great, I think. I'm one of those sick, weird, sinful, and abnormal people. Maybe I can fake it or deny it and nobody would know.

But God knows everything. Besides, homosexuality isn't like other sins. You can lie, steal, commit adultery, even murder... and God will forgive you and you'll be in His good graces. Probably most people will come around to you as well if you repent. But not if you're a homosexual. God hates those people. Outside of being a child molester, it's the worst sin people could commit. They're doomed to eternal condemnation. Sure, they can turn from their ways and become straight, so every night you pray and pray and pray...

The religious people; they're right. You're just not trying enough. If only you were more righteous, maybe you'd become straight. They've got a point - it's easy to not have sex with other men. But you can't get rid of the thoughts. God knows them. Any pretending to be straight is just a lie to God, and you're caught in the sin of being homosexual and the sin of lying. There's no way out. Religious people say things that are mean to you, that are hurtful, and they reject you. But they're right. They're doing this out of love. They're doing what God wants. You're a terrible person, and there's nothing you can do...

Plus, nobody really is gay. You've got to have a girlfriend by 19, or you're not a man. Being gay means being a woman, and in this misogynistic world, that's not right. But you're not a woman, and you don't want to be. Your family will reject you, all your friends will reject you, and you'll be shamed. You'll probably get AIDS and die, and you deserve it. You won't be able to be a husband or a father, something you've always dreamed of regardless of sexual orientation. So maybe you still think you can fake it. Or maybe you can chuck it all and become a hairstylist (nothing against gay male hairstylists ) or something like that where it might be accepted.

Look, I don't want you guys to support gay marriage or even change your minds about homosexual behavior being sinful. If you do, great, but you've got convictions, and things shouldn't be forced in the name of political correctness. All I want is for your to show the love of Jesus. Know that we're all sinners, no matter what we do, who have fallen short of the glory of God. And know that the only reason we're saved is because Jesus died for our sins. He died for ALL of them. That's in the Bible, plain and clear. Or if you're not religious, simply have respect for all people, including those that are different from you. Therefore, I should be able to stand with you guys just as much as you can stand with me.
I'd keep the "gay" and ditch all the "Christian" hooey. That's where your hang ups are coming from.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:40 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,022,037 times
Quote:

But God knows everything. Besides, homosexuality isn't like other sins. You
can lie, steal, commit adultery, even murder... and God will forgive you and
you'll be in His good graces. Probably most people will come around to you as
well if you repent. But not if you're a homosexual. God hates those people.
Outside of being a child molester, it's the worst sin people could commit
They're doomed to eternal condemnation. Sure, they can turn from their ways and
become straight, so every night you pray and pray and pray...
Nonsense!!

God also hates amputees. He's never healed a single one of them, no matter how much they pray and pray and pray and pray.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:04 PM

8,031 posts, read 7,639,525 times
OP, you seem a little misguided.

God doesn't hate people. Only the sin. And as I understand it, the levels of sin (as in you saying one kind is worse than another) is a man-created concept, not God's.

So God certainly does not hate you, and does not see your transgressions as worse than mine or anyone else's. We've all done wrong.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,840,101 times
You stopped me at the word "God".

Old 02-26-2014, 09:28 PM

21,673 posts, read 11,135,668 times
Through Jesus Christ the power of his Holy Spirit can overcome ALL SIN. Through the tearing down of strongholds and put under the subjection of Jesus Christ our savior.. Jesus defeated every sin when he died on the cross and everyone who walks with Jesus will attain power over all sin.

http://www.greatbiblestudy.com/spiritual_warfare.php

Old 02-27-2014, 09:26 AM

1,138 posts, read 860,946 times
Well as a Christian I do see the lifestyle as a sin, but I don't condemn or judge those who do practice it. I don't throw stones so to speak for we are all sinners. I don't believe people can be gay Christians either, at least not in the sense that you are referring to. There is no way to justify it, nothing in the Bible supports it, and those who say otherwise are twisting scripture.

I don't believe people are born gay. I believe it's psychological / environmenal. And yes, I believe that gay people can choose if they really wanted to, but they like being gay so don't. Straight men go to prison and often develop same sex romances and attractions. Some of them even become transgendered. Same thing happens in female prisons. If sexuality was truly genetic and set in stone these things would not happen.

My advice is just trust God and let Him change and guide you through it. True Christians are called to love you, and any who judge you are false.

As for gay marriage, I believe Marriage should be dropped from the Government entirely. Just give everyone secular '' Civil Contracts '' and let Marriage be a thing among Churches, Synagogues, families etc... Marriage is defined by God and Nature as a Man and a Woman. The Government has no business being involved with it. The word '' Marriage'' applies only to the Religious and Social aspects of the term. Any church or pastor that supports gay marriage is a false shepherd and false Christian and should never be listened to.

It's better IMO to keep this in the Christian Section. There is more wisdom there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies