Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:09 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,080,147 times

Advertisements

QUOTE: In Britain, 24,000 people are projected to die this winter because they cannot afford to pay their energy bills. Roughly 4.5 million British families are facing “fuel poverty.”

There as here you always had the wood heat alternative......that is until now.....I was reading a piece where the EPA would like to phase it out..........something about particulates

This is all the biggest load of BS designed to tax and control.....period

I'm sick and tired of being lied to and told how to live my life like I'm some kind of little kid

If the collective would have grown some balls a while back....we could have said..bring it *******.......but I have a feeling it is utterly too late........these leftwing scumbags use elaborate scams..........the people fall for it.........and then wonder why their simple freedoms have vanished

Climate change is one of the biggest scams going and they control it and by that you!

Liberalism=Misery, Destruction & Death!

No scientific evidence of man-made global warming | The Daily Caller

Old 02-27-2014, 03:55 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
It seems pretty damning that the co-founder of greanpeace says that there is no proof of AGW.
He is sure to be ex-communicated from the global warming cult by the high priest, his reverence Al Gore.

bill

Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
The UK has some of the worst levels of home energy efficiency in Europe, and other much colder countries have much lower death rates in winter than the UK because their homes are better insulated.
With high quality insulation and modern technology, millions of UK homes could be made much warmer. And the Government could pay for this using the billions of pounds they already raise in carbon taxes. This would bring down bills, and above all, help millions of older people keep warm and healthy through the winter.
What is Spread the Warmth?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:16 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
You know how many people die from the cold in Canada, which is much colder than the UK, each year? About 80.
Mostly from their own stupidity.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:55 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
QUOTE: In Britain, 24,000 people are projected to die this winter because they cannot afford to pay their energy bills. Roughly 4.5 million British families are facing “fuel poverty.”

There as here you always had the wood heat alternative......that is until now.....I was reading a piece where the EPA would like to phase it out..........something about particulates

I'm sick and tired of being lied to and told how to live my life like I'm some kind of little kid

If the collective would have grown some balls a while back....we could have said..bring it *******.......but I have a feeling it is utterly too late........these leftwing scumbags use elaborate scams..........the people fall for it.........and then wonder why their simple freedoms have vanished

Climate change is one of the biggest scams going and they control it and by that you!

So you agree with the Lefts cap on fuel prices then in order to help the poor and elderly.

BBC News - Ed Miliband: Labour would freeze energy prices

The truth being that even if you don't believe in Climate Change, we still need to do more to improve the environment including trying to replace current and out dated fuels with more modern cleaner fuels. Whether this be Hydrogen, Thorium/Nuclear, Biomass or indeed harnessing natural alternatives such as hydroelectricity geothermal, barrages, wave/wind power and other such alternatives.

In terms of the UK, fuel prices have risen but this merely reflects the fact that the UK is importing more fuel than it used to in relation to gas, indeed in 2009, 45% of the natural gas used in the UK was imported, however this figure is expected to reach 69% by 2019 and to continue rising.

Electricity generation in the UK comes from three main sources – gas, coal-fired power stations and nuclear.

A small but growing proportion of electricity is supplied by renewables.

Gas accounted of 46 % of electricity supplied in 2008. Gas is also used to heat approximately 70% of homes.

Coal-fired power stations provide approximately 31% of the UK’s electricity.

Nuclear power provides about 14% of electricity but most UK nuclear plans are due to close in the next decade

Renewables sources provided 5.5% of electricity generated in 2008.

So the fact that Britain's traditional gas resources are running out means we are both losing money from exports and now have to pay a market price increasingly dictated by other countries. It should also be noted that the UK also imports some of it's electricity supplies from France and other European countries. On top of this the UK currently has a large bill relating to it's ageing Nuclear Power Stations which need to be decommissioned, whilst the cost of new nuclear power stations is also set to involve substantial investment, although once built Nuclear power stations are relatively cheap to operate.

In France Britain's nearest continental neighbour, Electricity production us dominated by nuclear power, which accounted for 76% of total production in 2009. Whilst Germany and Scandinavia are increasingly investing in renewables coupled with local bio-mass production, CHP plants and district heating. The concept of district heating involves using would to heat hot water on a local scale and to produce heat rather than having boilers in each household.

District heating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course carbon emission targets also come in to play with Britain currently having to spend money either closing fossil fuel plants or converting them in to Bio-Mass and Carbon Capture plants. There is also the potential to extract vast shale gas resources under the UK, but fracking remains a controversial issue.

In conclusion whilst I agree that EU Carbon Emission Targets may need to be eased, as they are making the situation worse, this does not negate from the fact that many countries such as the UK need to replace power plants and infrastructure coupled with a growing reliance on imported gas, and this has also played a major part in fuel prices.

Last edited by Bamford; 02-27-2014 at 06:04 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 05:06 AM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post

Your title a lie, that is not what he said but you would never get a decent thread off the ground if you couldn't make up your own quotes.

24,000 people to die this winter because they can't afford their fuel, don't suppose you have a link for that whopper. LOL

Old 02-27-2014, 05:15 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Well, since the earths climate has been absolutely the same for billions of years and only since man industrialized have we seen climate change, I think it's ridiculous that people don't see the connection.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
It's the exact title of the article which is better form than some of the lame thread titles we get.

Greenpeace co-founder: No scientific evidence of man-made global warming

Granted he seems to be saying that any influence man might be having is inconsequential as opposed to none. And like many of us, he is arguing that warm is better.

Quote:
24,000 people to die this winter because they can't afford their fuel, don't suppose you have a link for that whopper. LOL
It's in the story......you didn't even bother to read it did you?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-28-2014 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 02-27-2014, 05:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You know how many people die from the cold in Canada, which is much colder than the UK, each year? About 80.
Mostly from their own stupidity.
Well first you have to understand how they arrive at these very large numbers. 24K people didn't die of cold in the UK just like 24K people didn't die of a heart attack from exposure to coal pollution here in the US.

The way this works is they take whatever hard data they might have. For example suppose we do a study and throw 20 people off a 10 foot cliff and 10 die. From there it's assumed that for every 200 feet a population is to fall 10 people are going to die. 40 people go off a 5 foot cliff and 10 still die. Millions fall off crack 10 still die.

Basically they associate any exposure to any given thing to a population, the amount of exposure to the individual is not a factor. It might be the daily diet of chicken wings that killed you but a small fraction of the cause of your death is attributed to the cold, pollution etc.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:50 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Some people have nothing to do but blather and nay say.
A few years ago after the gulf oil spill the gulf stream stopped that brought warmer air to England , which had never happened before .
Their plumbing was set in the ground at the anticipated frost level ,that had not changed in hundreds of years.
Moscow did not have the advantage of the gulf stream and their temperatures were always lower , so homes there are built for the conditions that have always been.
Now they share pretty much the same temps because of it.
So for England this is unusual, impossible to anticipate.
Millions of homes and businesses built for the wrong latitude , dependent on that gulf stream.
I don't know if there is a correlation between the spill and the gulf stream or some other event caused the change ,never the less It is unlikely to return to what it was. Or to dream that it should.
The only alternative is to accept multiple family home living combining resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies