Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 02:34 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,328,870 times

Advertisements

Basically if you wear an American flag to school and another group attacks you, the school can tell you to remove the flag. Gotta love the liberal 9th circuit.

Quote:
Thursday’s Dariano v. Morgan Hill Unified School Dist. (9th Cir. Feb. 27, 2014) upholds a California high school’s decision to forbid students from wearing American flag T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. (See here and here for more on this case.)
The court points out that the rights of students in public high schools are limited — under the Supreme Court’s decision in Tinker v. Des Moines Indep. Comm. School Dist. (1969), student speech could be restricted if “school authorities [can reasonably] forecast substantial disruption of or material interference with school activities” stemming from the speech. And on the facts of this case, the court concludes, there was reason to think that the wearing of the T-shirts would lead to disruption. There had been threats of racial violence aimed at students who wore such shirts the year before:
Not safe to display American flag in American high school
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 02:39 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,738,398 times
What we can't do, is punish the people who are threatening the violence. Oh, no, we can't do that. Better to make everybody else who hasn't done anything wrong, change their ways and defer to the lawbreakers.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:43 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,603,935 times
Just a bunch of kids wearing American flag tee shirts for the express purpose of race baiting and picking a fight. Something I'm sure they learned from their fathers.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Article
a California high school’s decision to forbid students from wearing American flag T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo.
I haven't noticed any high schools forbidding students from wearing an American FLag T-shirt on St. Patrick's day, an Irish holiday.

The difference?

Irish people don't threaten violence for wearing the American FLag.

Gee, maybe we should look at the people who DO threaten violence, instead of restricting the people they were theatening it against?

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 02-27-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 PM

7,789 posts, read 6,338,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Just a bunch of kids wearing American flag tee shirts for the express purpose of race baiting and picking a fight. Something I'm sure they learned from their fathers.
Forever backing down. Something I'm sure they learned from their mothers.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:51 PM

13,674 posts, read 8,934,310 times
I agree with the sentiments of the writer of the linked article. It may be in line with a US Supreme Court ruling, but it is poor policy to 'reward' thugs who threaten students wearing or displaying the US flag.

Situations like this sadden me. On the one hand, if a student goes to the school on May 5th and displays or wears the USA flag, and gets beaten up, the parents of said student will sue the school saying the school officials knew, or should have known, that said student wearing said flag could result in violence to said student. When the school bans the wearing or displaying the USA flag on May 5th, in order to prevent violence, they are nevertheless damned for giving in to thugs.

I have no answer. I doubt there is one, save to 'hope and pray' that people become reasonable.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:53 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,026,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So... Americans wearing an American flag is race baiting?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
So... Americans wearing an American flag is race baiting?
No, making "threats of racial violence aimed at students who wore such shirts", as the article put it, is race-baiting.

And that's what the kids who were NOT wearing American flag T-shirts, were doing.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:55 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,589,859 times
That sucks.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:56 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,766,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree with the sentiments of the writer of the linked article. It may be in line with a US Supreme Court ruling, but it is poor policy to 'reward' thugs who threaten students wearing or displaying the US flag.

Situations like this sadden me. On the one hand, if a student goes to the school on May 5th and displays or wears the USA flag, and gets beaten up, the parents of said student will sue the school saying the school officials knew, or should have known, that said student wearing said flag could result in violence to said student. When the school bans the wearing or displaying the USA flag on May 5th, in order to prevent violence, they are nevertheless damned for giving in to thugs.

I have no answer. I doubt there is one, save to 'hope and pray' that people become reasonable.
An answer would be to stop celebrating a holiday that was popularized for the sole purpose of selling alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies