Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:09 AM

54 posts, read 65,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
um, why would black people as a whole have to answer for one idiot in the first place ?
I think it's crazy to believe such a thing.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,755,455 times
LOL at the church's saying.

As a black woman, married to a black man, I think it is hilarious!

That said, I am an atheist so would not take a church's sign seriously. Religious wackos come in all sorts of varieties, but please note, I don't consider all religious people wackos. This church though is just like that white guy out of Florida I think who likes to protest at veteran's funerals and the like.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,755,455 times
LOL, I read it again and laughed again. That is the funniest church message on a sign that I have ever read LOL.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:17 AM

37,752 posts, read 40,828,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
So if the New York Times had done a story on this, you would be satisfied?

Or would you start a thread asking 'why no outrage' from The Wall Street Journal, the Daily News, The New York Post, Newsday, The Korean Times, The Sing Tao Daily, the Staten Island Advance, etc?

It just strikes me as an odd pastime to find a story and then spend time seeing if a particular newspaper (which you obviously do not subscribe to) carried it.
Yes. My biggest gripe is with the media on all issues. The NY Times is a feeder paper. If they don't cover things a lot of other newspapers don't either.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:19 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,827,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yes. My biggest gripe is with the media on all issues. The NY Times is a feeder paper. If they don't cover things a lot of other newspapers don't either.
So should the NYT cover stories of deranged people who have a history of shouting lunacy on street corners? Because in this case, that's pretty much what you are demanding.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,351,134 times
That Pastor Manning is a character. My last visit home my mom was going on about him. My uncle forwarded her some of his videos. She was like he speaks the truth but goes too far lol.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,351,134 times
Quote:
The NY Times sets the agenda in this country. All the elites read it every morning. It's editorial pages sets the tone of the debates in the corridors of powers. That's why it's radically left leaning editorial page is being attacked even from moderate Leftists.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:24 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,561,120 times
Thread fail.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:33 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,599,141 times
Quote:
"A church sign in New York City’s Harlem is warning black women to be on the lookout for a “white homo” trying to steal their man. “Obama has released the homo demons on the black man. Look out black woman. A white homo may take your man,” reads the marquee for ATLAH World Church at Lenox and 123rd."

Harlem church sign warns: Obama has released 'the homo demons' - Washington Times

I find the sign to be deplorable so that's not why I'm posting this. I can't seem to find the NY Times story on this. I did a search on "Harlem" and another on "homo" (because it's the word on the sign). Nothing on NY Times website.

Is it because it didn't happen in The South, it happened in NYC or is it because the NY Times is afraid to take sides on a Black vs Gay issue?

Other NYC media did stories. Here's one:

Harlem pastor makes bizarre homophobic claim about president on church sign: 'Obama has released the homo demons on the black man' - NY Daily News
Well The Gray Lady claims she has, "All the news that's fit to print."

Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 AM

37,752 posts, read 40,828,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The issue I chose to start a thread on has to do with media coverage by a NYC newspaper that is the "leader of the pack" for national newspaper coverage.

It's got religion, gay bashing and blacks...everything by itself that makes the NYT hum with coverage. But what it also has is a NYC setting not the South or the Midwest and a black man at the forefront in urban liberal land doing the bashing. Will the NYT call him a what they would call a white pastor from the South or Midwest who did the exact same thing?

This is a "forget about it and hope it goes away and no one notices" NYT decision, I'll bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies