Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 06:05 AM

54 posts, read 65,721 times

Advertisements

The NY Times has published their 4th article on the rising rates of heroin addiction amongst whites. I find it very interesting that none of their articles ever highlight parental upbringing and/or community values/norms as a possible reason for the widespread heroin addiction amongst white youth residing in suburban towns throughout America. Why is that?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/us...ermid=11246083

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/23/ny...l]Heroin's New Generation - Young, White and Middle Class - NYTimes.com

Last edited by ForumFolly234; 02-28-2014 at 07:06 AM..

Old 02-28-2014, 06:28 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumFolly234 View Post
The NY Times has published their 4th article on the rising rates of heroin addiction amongst whites. I find it very interesting that none of their articles ever highlight parental upbringing and/or community values/norms as a possible reason for the widespread heroin addiction amongst white youth residing in suburban towns throughout America. Why is that?
Maybe they don't believe community values and norms are the cause

Old 02-28-2014, 06:38 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,889 times
The white heroin thread pt.567 LOL

Maybe because a lot of people in general do drugs?

I love these write ups that cherry pick samples and/or use aggregate comparisons against demographics. They ALWAYS fail at proving anything worthwhile but do an excellent job are riling up the biased bigot.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe they don't believe community values and norms are the cause
What then is the cause? In my view, it is parental upbringing and community values. I grew up in a middle class black community, where education and work ethic was encouraged. My family in particular spoke with me about drugs, and they lived a drug free lifestyle, so they practiced what they preached. Also, my family is religious, so we were raised with values.

When I read stories about teens and adults using drugs and breaking into property, I know *usually* something was wrong with the upbringing. Not always, but many times, because people who are raised correctly, don't go on to become drug addicts. There is no reason to abuse drugs, when you have a healthy mind and soul.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
The white heroin thread pt.567 LOL

Maybe because a lot of people in general do drugs?

I love these write ups that cherry pick samples and/or use aggregate comparisons against demographics. They ALWAYS fail at proving anything worthwhile but do an excellent job are riling up the biased bigot.
No, they are writing about this issue, because heroin is a major problem in white suburban communities throughout NY as well as in New England. Many of the mostly white communities are full of heroin addicts who are breaking into property and destroying their own communities. It has become a major issue.

The NY Times, daily news and many other papers are writing about this topic, because it has become so widespread. The governor of Vermont used his full state of the state address, to address the growing heroin epidemic in his state, so this is not a minor issue, it is very major.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I know *usually* something was wrong with the upbringing. Not always, but many times, because people who are raised correctly, don't go on to become drug addicts..
I'm assuming you have a comprehensive study that has overwhelming evidence verifying this?

Or just an opinion....

Old 02-28-2014, 06:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Let's not start picking on the white folks.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
No, they are writing about this issue, because heroin is a major problem in white suburban communities throughout NY as well as in New England. Many of the mostly white communities are full of heroin addicts who are breaking into property and destroying their own communities. It has become a major issue.

The NY Times, daily news and many other papers are writing about this topic, because it has become so widespread. The governor of Vermont used his full state of the state address, to address the growing heroin epidemic in his state, so this is not a minor issue, it is very major.
No problems where I'm from....and it's white as the driven snow. So, I will let a blip on the map like VT figure it out.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Let's not start picking on the white folks.
No better yet, LET'S pick on a small sample size like Vermont. Lol

Really, let's do that. Then contrast it with every other predominantly white state, city, neighborhood etc.

Then, let's compare Detroit with Oakland, Camden, Newark, Baltimore, Houston, Baton Rouge, Chicago, etc. Etc.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times
Still, it's much better for your teeth than Meth, so dentists are quite pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies