Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Michelle Obama: America's Moms Are 'Confused and Bewildered,' 'Defeated' by Grocery Shopping | CNS News

My wife and I do our grocery shopping together. We seldom read the labels. We know what we want, and we buy it regardless of what the label says.
If we DO read the "nutrition information", we only look at the salt level and the HFCS content. If it has a lot of salt (sodium) and/or corn syrup, we might not buy it. If it is something that we like, and purchase only as a treat, we often buy it anyway.
Ennyhoo, there is very little "confusion" in our shopping.
The same goes when we eat out, whether it is a fast-food place or a sit-down restaurant with menus and waiters. Health food is the last thing on our minds!
I think the confusion is between michelle's ears, and behind her eyeballs. I certainly don't have any!

My grandparents were the same as you, until my grandfather had to start watching everything in his diet. Then they started to pay attention to labels.

What's wrong with making the labels more understandable? Mt. Dew lists a single serving of 12 oz on a 20 oz drink. Why not list the nutritional value of the 20 oz? Nobody I know buys a soda and drinks 60% one day, and the other 40% the next

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-28-2014 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: personal

Old 02-28-2014, 12:56 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I just have to make a couple of comments...

" The OP clearly is so I understand why she just grab whatever looks good and eat it ."
SHE?? Look at the original Post: "My wife and I..."! Apparently, you believe I am a lesbian!

No, I am not at all confused, either about grocery shopping or my sexuality.
THAT is the whole point of my posting, the lack of confusion about what to buy! THAT, and the apparent opinion of the "elite" that us common folks are too dumb to know that a 20 ounce bottle of sugary soft drink is actually MORE than one serving. OF COURSE it is, and we don't care. It isn't like we drink a dozen a day, after all!
Why, we haven't purchased a Twinkie or a Hostess Snoball in years!
However, I DO buy Spam singles occasionally, and I add seasoned salt to low-sodium foods. We even buy salted BUTTER!!! and real LARD!
If I could, I would buy milk that is just pasteurized, not homogenized. Actually, I would prefer it fresh from the cow!
It doesn't matter if I shop at IGA or Albertson's or Walmart, I just don't see the "confusion" that is referenced. Perhaps SHE is confused; if so, it is HER problem! There is no need to lay it off on everybody who shops for groceries!

It has nothing to do with "elites" or otherwise. A lot of people DON'T KNOW that packages, bottles, etc. contain more than 1 serving size.

For example, those packages of potato or corn chips that one sees near the check-out counter are often more than one serving. I would never have known that if I didn't read the labels.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:00 PM

37,122 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I read labels on some things, usually new things, but look for certain specifics. There is no need to constantly be looking at labels when you use the same things over and over as most of us tend to do.
My son has become very interested in his health and food and is a young man who has only recently started buying his own groceries or cooking for himself so it's a learning curve and he reads everything. He tells me stuff and makes recommendations about thing's I buy as well. Between him an my daughter, who's been at it a bit longer, I learn all sorts of things and now use a delicious new brand of bread that's apparently way better for me . After so many years you just get lazy and have other things to think about.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:07 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

My grandparents were the same as you, until my grandfather had to start watching everything in his diet. Then they started to pay attention to labels.

What's wrong with making the labels more understandable? Mt. Dew lists a single serving of 12 oz on a 20 oz drink. Why not list the nutritional value of the 20 oz? Nobody I know buys a soda and drinks 60% one day, and the other 40% the next
Normal people are able to apply a little basic mathematics and determine that 170 calories for a 12 ounce drink equates to 283.3 calories for a 20 ounce drink. However, since the Marxist Indoctrination Centers (a.k.a. public schools) have replaced reading, writing, and arithmetic with social re-engineering, it is not surprising that liberal freaks are too stupid to apply basic mathematics to their every day life.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-28-2014 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 02-28-2014, 01:07 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
So Biden thinks women are only capable of working dead end jobs, Pelosi thinks we are incapable of paying $8 a month for BC, and Michelle thinks we are too stupid to grocery shop? They see women as pitiful creatures, don't they?
Yeah, I thought it was the Republicans who hated women. Looks like the Democrats just cannot help themselves to some of that,too.

I wish we could lock Biden, Pelosi, and Michelle in a cage.......and then put Ronda Rousey in the same cage and tell her to stop when nobody is breathing.

If you can see through the liberal media's fawning treatment of Michelle, you begin to see that she comes off as incredibly dumb. She might not be, but she certainly comes off that way.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:17 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
What would this nation of uneducated dolts do without the protections and benevolence of sage aristocrats like Michelle Obama? She and her husband peddle that line of reasoning all the time - Americans are ignorant, and if they weren't, they'd realize how awesome I am and how awesome everything I say is.

Because without her help, Americans would feed their kids rat poison. So glad she can help me navigate the exercise in quantum mechanics that is.....grocery shopping. Thank god for Michelle Obama, because up until she came along, I was living on Cheetohs, lard and Little Debbie snacks 'cuz I just don't know no betterz.

OMG the arrogance one must have to occupy these seats of nobility....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies