Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,703,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Actually gun regulations work very well in those countries where guns are tightly regulated. That would include China.

All countries compared for Crime > Murders with firearms
you cant make the comparison without understanding WHY tight gun regulations work in other countries, one big reason is that the culture of those countries has always had very tight gun regulations, to the point where only the elite owned firearms, where as in the US, arms have been a way of life since the viking first came here over one thousand years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 PM

31,913 posts, read 14,904,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes i did mean context. my fat fingers making mistakes again, sorry, ah es a publick skule gradgeat.

context my friend, context.

you really need an education on firearms, and on shooting them. there are only a few trained professionals in this world that do kill with one shot.
we call them snipers. and they generally take something like 1.1 shots to kill a target, but then they are firing from long distance, and use very large caliber weapons, like the .50 caliber browning, or the .416 barrett round. the only other people that can kill with one well placed shot are executioners, usually mob executioners, and they are shooting at very close range with a small caliber weapon, usually a .22lr, and putting one round in the base of a persons skull.

i an also surmise that you have never been in a life or death situation, or had anyone point a gun at you in anger. even military personal, with the possible exception of snipers, get an adrenaline rush at the beginning of hot combat, its normal. it happens to everyone. the average person unfortunately lets it cloud their minds, training only lets muscle memory take over and the person does the things they were trained to do, which is why if you carry a firearm, you should be training with it at the range often so that you can let the training take over. but that doesnt always make for a steady hand, even with highly trained people, since people are imperfect.

by your standards, no one should have a firearm, or a weapon of any kind because they cant guarantee perfect control all the time. you really need an education.

Oh no there are more than a few. I have a great education on guns since my dad was cia.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,703,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh no there are more than a few. I have a great education on guns since my dad was cia.
so was my uncle. and i had another uncle that was air force intelligence. that doesnt mean anything. remember that these people are trained to kill without emotion. sorry but that doesnt translate to the average person on the street, or even the average cop.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:49 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,028,625 times
Quote:
How many would have been killed if these attackers had semi-automatic guns???
How many would be killed if nobody had semi-automatic, or any, guns? I'd reckon thousands more, since they'd be assured of no defense.

Place the blame where blame belongs... the lunatics killing people. The weapon is of little consequence. Lunatics will kill people with anything handy; while armed citizens will kill said lunatics before said lunatics can go off!

Old 03-04-2014, 01:55 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,792,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
A Chinese terrorist group attacks Chinese people and most of the comments on that site are anti-American? How moderate and full of reason they are.
Most of the public comments from Chinese media made no mention of the US, and neither did the media itself.

As is the case in the US where people will immediately start blaming China, Arabs, Muslims, Illegals, Mexicans, Blacks, etc etc etc, there are certainly some people in China who will knee-jerkedly assume that anything that happens is because of Western spies and organizations like the CIA. Again, in this situation, the Chinese gov't isn't saying this at all... but, just as we scapegoat them with certain things, they scapegoat us with certain things. The actions of the CIA are well-publicized in China, and so when something like this happens, there is an assumption among some - not many, but some - that the CIA is supporting Uyghyr separatists to undermine the PRC. The same thing happens in the Middle East, where as soon as an Arab leader or Iranian scientist dies, the instant assumption is that a Mossad/CIA/OSS agent was behind it; as cartoonish as these accusations usually end up coming across, they are hardly without precedent.

Regardless, I live in China, and not a single person I know is of the opinion that the US had anything to do with it.

The only criticisms that I've heard from Chinese people in terms of the US and the Uyghyrs is that since the US gov't has no qualms fighting Muslim extremists anywhere else in the world, they don't understand why it is that the US gov't isn't standing shoulder-to-shoulder with China over the PRC's antiterrorism efforts in Xinjiang; the reasons for this are, of course, mutual mistrust of one another's intelligence gathering and motivations. The US gov't is more or less mum on the matter, not wanting to get involved one way or the other; the US media, when it addresses the conflict, usually stays reasonably neutral to echo the government's indifference on the matter. Also, it's in a pop-culture catch 22 where on the one hand, the US loves to champion the plucky underdog trying to gain autonomy and freedom; on the other, they're Muslims, and the idea of conservative Muslims perpetrating attacks on a modern, secular society is at odds with any of that championing of the underdog because it's been used to justify the War on Terror at home.

As far as many of the Chinasmack posters go, they're no different that the overseas Chinese internet warriors that you see here and on other websites, who have an axe to grind with the West for whatever reason and have glorified their (ancestral) homeland into a perfect place that is at turns rightly crushing the world with its superior economic and cultural, and a victim of internationally-sourced persecution and injustice.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Actually gun regulations work very well in those countries where guns are tightly regulated. That would include China.

All countries compared for Crime > Murders with firearms
please move to China... let us know how that works out for you.

Stupid isn't in short supply these days.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:21 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,735,658 times
Quote:
How many would have been killed if these attackers had semi-automatic guns???
I agree more may have been killed, but the point is, they will find a way to kill no matter what. since guns are banned in China, no one in the crowd had a weapon and these guys just ran amok slicing and killing people. Had guns been legal and had there been a legitimate gun owner in the crowd, it is possible they could have taken these guys out and saved some lives.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:34 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,792,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
please move to China... let us know how that works out for you.

Stupid isn't in short supply these days.
I did and it's actually working out swimmingly... FWIW.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I did and it's actually working out swimmingly... FWIW.
The fact that you used the term "swimmingly" tells me you're an expat. I can see China being better than any EU member, but than America? This would only be a testament to how the US going in reverse. Oh joy, China is better than the west. Yippy... isn't that a kick in the pants!

Good for you mate, but the rest of us would like to see exceptionalism and the Republic working as it should. You may regret the move shortly. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies