Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think you need to read the linked article. A divorced person remarrying is not the same as a "same sex" wedding. There is no valid comparison. Your argument has no merit.
In other words, what you're saying is that two divorced people of opposite sexes getting married is regarded as less sinful in nature and so easier to forgive and forget than a same sex couple getting married in a wedding.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:03 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
As I have pointed out before, and I thought I made this obvious in this thread, the services provided are custom services. The baker made custom cakes. They were not of the "off the shelf" variety. That is different. One has no right to refuse to selll items off the shelf to a customer based on who that customer is, but I do believe that a person has a right not to perform a service, or create a customized one-of-a-kind product for a client, if that would cause him to sanctify a sinful lifestyle (such as homosexuality) with his labor and creativity, as in this case. No one should be compelled to do that which is against his religious beliefs.
CHURCHES sanctify marriages, bakeries do not sanctify marriages. Bakeries sell cakes. Cakes have nothing to do with the actual marrying of the couple. Cakes are part of the reception AFTER the marriage ceremony is already completed.

If baking cakes is against the bakers religious beliefs, then I would suggest they not open a bakery.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:05 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
It's ONLY Christians that are targeted, these activists go after them because they are the easiest targets of all.

Bullies are like that, always target the easy prey.
I can assure you that I, and every other gay person I know here in Denver, would file a complaint against any business that refused service because of our sexuality. We wouldn't care what religion (or no religion) the owner happened to be.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:06 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,470,913 times
Quote:
The law cannot compel me as a private contractor (and the baker was a private contractor, baking custom wedding cakes, not selling off the shelf cakes that anyone could walk in and buy) to provide service to someone I don't wish to work for, for whatever reason. If it does, that becomes "involuntary servitude" under the Thirteenth amendment.

In my former work, doing ceramic tile installation, I occasionally turned down a job that I didn't want to do (various reasons). The law cannot force me to do work for somebody just because they asked me to.
The baker was open to the public, that is not a private contractor or business

Old 03-02-2014, 02:06 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,258,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Absolutely not. These laws deal with customers and whether you can discriminate against them because of their characteristics (race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, handicap, etc). These laws don't force business to sell certain products or proved certain services.

Yes. Wedding photography businesses and commercial bakeries that sell wedding cakes should not be allowed to discriminate against people because of sexual orientation.
I used to work for a commercial photographer. I have done some photography work myself (many years ago). No law could force me to accept a job photographing a gay wedding. As an independent contractor, you have sole discretion on which jobs you with to take. NO ONE can tell you that you MUST do a certain job.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:07 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,757,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I can assure you that I, and every other gay person I know here in Denver, would file a complaint against any business that refused service because of our sexuality. We wouldn't care what religion (or no religion) the owner happened to be.
You mean that you will continue to target Christians, all because of their beliefs. Be truthful.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:07 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,174,924 times
I think one part of the disconnect that those that wish to discriminate do not understand is that nobody is being forced to provide a service or good that they do not already provide. A Jewish or Muslim Deli will NOT sell pork, therefore, nobody can go to these delis and force them to sell pork. Pretty simple concept, right?

A wedding photographer is in the business of photographing weddings. The provide this service to the general public as a business. So, if a same sex couple wants to hire them to photograph their wedding, the couple is NOT forcing them to provide a service or good that they do not already provide. The religion of the wedding photographer is irrelevant. If you cannot serve the general public you should not open business. Besides, what is the point of opening a business. Could it be to -- make money.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:08 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,757,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
CHURCHES sanctify marriages, bakeries do not sanctify marriages. Bakeries sell cakes. Cakes have nothing to do with the actual marrying of the couple. Cakes are part of the reception AFTER the marriage ceremony is already completed.

If baking cakes is against the bakers religious beliefs, then I would suggest they not open a bakery.
An anology that doesn't even make any sense. Try again.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:08 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,470,913 times
Quote:
I think you need to read the linked article. A divorced person remarrying is not the same as a "same sex" wedding. There is no valid comparison. Your argument has no merit.
My arguement has merit, by that mans bible, a divorced couple are also sinners, he picks and chooses what tenets he will adhere to. The comparison is valid.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:09 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
You mean that you will continue to target Christians, all because of their beliefs. Be truthful.
My statement was absolutely truthful. If a business ever refuses to serve me because I'm gay (in a place where doing so is illegal), I will file a complaint against that business. The religion (or non-religion) of the owners or employees is utterly irrelevant to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.