Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Enough cash flow to meet expenses, ability to budget (looking into the future to try to determine future) and why business is holding back. Government that keeps increases expenses (higher taxes and Obamacare) will hurt small business and with some just surviving because of a bad economy (beyond their control) will go out of business.

According to the SBA, there were 28 million small businesses in the U.S. in 2010. 79% of them had no employees. 52% were home based businesses and 3% were sole proprietorships.

The overwhelming majority of small businesses are exempt from ACA because they employ fewer than 50 people. There are optional financial incentives for small businesses with fewer than 25 employees should they want to provide small group healthcare plans to their employees.

middle-age mom probably never ran a business but thinks she knows it all, I know you are all into this Obamacare thing because it benefits "you" but really you need to look past your own self centered needs.
When all else fails, attack the poster?

You are seriously mistaken about MaM's professional background.

I am not a personal beneficiary of ACA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 02:24 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
When all else fails, attack the poster?

You are seriously mistaken about MaM's professional background.

I am not a personal beneficiary of ACA.
Please don't put your post in my quote. Sorry, you posted awhile back you were.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
So - when the price increases come from insurance companies, that's fine?
And - when price increases come from insurance companies blaming Obamacare, that's fine too?
Since starting my business, our rates had doubled with no ACA in play.
Interesting logic - getting mad at ACA rather than the very companies that make it necessary.
Insurance premiums trebled between 2000-2010, pre ACA.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Enough cash flow to meet expenses, ability to budget (looking into the future to try to determine future) and why business is holding back. Government that keeps increases expenses (higher taxes and Obamacare) will hurt small business and with some just surviving because of a bad economy (beyond their control) will go out of business.

middle-age mom probably never ran a business but thinks she knows it all, I know you are all into this Obamacare thing because it benefits "you" but really you need to look past your own self centered needs.

9 of 10 failed pre ACA. Most common reason: Not willing to sacrifice, expecting tremendous returns, drawing too large a salary in the first 5 years.

My last employer bought several of these failures, and turned them around. We're talking small 50-100 employee shops where the owners were driving very expensive cars purchased in the company name, where they drew 2x-3x the salary most corps would pay for like-sized, profitable firms. (we sold the cars immediately, and if we brought the ex owners on via contract, we quickly paid it off, and waved bye-bye to the folks who brought the business to its knees. A few had been prominently featured in Inc Magazine-they were every bit the train wrecks of most we bought mom and pops from.)

If you are banking on any salary for the first few years as the owner, don't start the business. You are not business savvy enough to understand growing pains.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:27 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's been a Democrat sitting in the WH for 5 years now.
Nothing's changed.

The Dems are just as beholden to the big corps as the Repubs are.
Neither McCain nor Romney got voted into office.
Obama did..twice and nothing has changed.
B. Obama tried to give small businesses a aid bill, but senate republicans blocked the "Small Business Aid Bill."

Senate Republicans Block Small Business Aid Bill - DailyFinance

And B. Obama tried to give small businesses a lending bill, but senate republicans blocked the "Small Business Lending Bill."

How It’s Playing: “Republicans Block Small Business Lending Bill” | Senate Democrats

And B. Obama tried to give small businesses tax breaks, but senate republicans blocked the "Small Business Tax Breaks Bill."

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...ss-tax-breaks/

Old 03-03-2014, 02:27 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Insurance premiums trebled between 2000-2010, pre ACA.
Shhh...... facts? In here?
Bold move, MaM. Bold move indeed.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:33 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Obviously everyone likes the way things are going then so be it.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Sorry, you posted awhile back you were.
Perhaps you have me confused with someone else.

I have been and continue to be covered by my husband's large group healthcare plan. It was a terrific plan before the ACA and remains so, post ACA. He participates in his employer/insurer sponsored Wellness Program and earns credits towards the cost.

I can and do advocate for things that do not personally benefit me.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Shhh...... facts? In here?
Bold move, MaM. Bold move indeed.

source: US Health Care cost increase chart 2000-2013 - Bing Images

Old 03-03-2014, 02:49 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In rural towns though you still have the mom & pop stores...

We even have local banks that still close at 3pm Mon-Thurs. Now that's a blast from the past isn't it ?
In my small (pop. ~5,000) rural town we have the opposite. A significant number of the local residents work at one of two larger towns that are 20-25 miles away. If the local "small town" bank kept traditional banking hours, they would never be open when those people were in town. Chances are many of those potential customers would choose to bank somewhere near their place of work so they could do banking at lunch or on the way home. To keep themselves a viable option for the out-of-town workers, the local bank keeps the drive-up open until 9 pm Monday through Saturday so customers have plenty of time to do their banking when they get home from work or on the weekend. Even in the nearby bigger towns, few banks has drive-up hours to match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies