Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:24 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times

Advertisements

Why does every position on issues have to be liberal or conservative? Why aren't we allowed any middle ground? If you're against gun control, you're automatically a gun-toting conservative. If you're for it, you're automatically a gun-grabbing liberal. Or taxes, if you're for taxation and regulation, you're automatically a communist-loving liberal, but if you're against taxation and regulation, you're a community-hating liberal.

Ok I admit, on the first issue, I'm pretty far to the right. But on the second (and third?) I'm as close to center as you can get. Some taxation and regulation is necessary, in some places more than others, but there is such thing as too much though it's not the same across the board. On this latter issue, I see this particularly where human-caused global warming is concerned. Any time I or someone brings up the scientific data against AGW, the "attacks" boil down to "you're environment-hating conservatives who want license to pollute, pollute, pollute." Just the opposite is true. I care a lot about the environment, which is part of why I'm so against the AGW crowd, I'm afraid in their attempt to "cool" the planet down, we really will wreck it somehow. I fully support any means to control pollutants, of any kind and don't focus on so-called "greenhouse gases" the way the AGW crowd does.

Moving out of that into something I care very strongly about on a local level, transit. On the flip side of the AGW debate, when I want increased public funding for transit, I must be a communist liberal seeking to destroy private business by forcing everyone out of their cars. Also utterly untrue. My stance is that transit is a public good just like roads, the police, education, etc. and as it is beneficial to everyone and the community, everyone should have a share in it, particularly since private industry is uninterested in running transit and it makes more fiscal sense to put money into the transit than the roads due to the law of diminishing returns.

Why the severe split? Why does everything have to be left or right now? and more importantly, why can't a person be somewhere in the middle? It's not just here of course, I see this from places like the comments on my local newspaper, all the way up to Congress. There's no middle ground anymore!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:30 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,832 times
I agree, things are getting too partisan in this country. Moderates and Independents are viewed as spineless and misguided fools by many hardcore Republicans and Democrats, which really irks me. People are seeing things as too black and white, as either conservative or liberal, and this will lead to issues in the future.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:32 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
It's the nature of the beast. In politics, and especially here on CD, there seems to be a "with me or against me" attitude. I've been called both a right wing nut and a neoprog on these forums, when the truth is that I'm basically a moderate. What's really fun is when the same person reps you for a post in one thread and then calls you an idiot in another thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It's the nature of the beast. In politics, and especially here on CD, there seems to be a "with me or against me" attitude. I've been called both a right wing nut and a neoprog on these forums, when the truth is that I'm basically a moderate. What's really fun is when the same person reps you for a post in one thread and then calls you an idiot in another thread
Yup, pretty much! I've been accused of being anything ranging from a Communist to a tea partier. Truth is, I'm a moderate on balance...liberal on some issues, conservative on others.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Two people who had generally argued from different points of view agreed on something in another thread and the mods closed it. Being a centrist isn't good for click counts.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:52 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yup, pretty much! I've been accused of being anything ranging from a Communist to a tea partier. Truth is, I'm a moderate on balance...liberal on some issues, conservative on others.
People think I'm a liberal but I'm a moderate and actually agree with some republican issues.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
"Where's the spot for us centrists?"

In the middle.
Sometimes you get reps from conservatives, other times you get reps from liberals. Before you know it you got 2 medals hanging from your internet chest.

Seriously though, if you take a page out of Congressional politics, centrist is a death wish, politically. Nobody wants to see all sides, or compromise these days. Either way, a centrist now a days gets their ass kicked from both sides. Hopefully, It's a temporary phenomenon and people will find common ground.
Common ground is, I guess, what it's all about. There is no common ground these days. We are polarized.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:57 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
CD politics is all "You have stated one view which sounds like it may be moderately liberal, therefore you're a bleeding heart hippie who hates America." People are insane on here. There's no room for free thought.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Take heart, OP. Centrists decide who the POTUS is. While both bases congratulate themselves foolishly, as neither realizes they offset each other.

That leaves the centrists, who decide the POTUS..every time.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:55 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I consider myself a Logicrat....not guided by some insane and totally unworkable ideology, not guided by emotion, not guided by a lust for power, not guided by a filthy, wicked and disgusting desire to steal riches, NOOOOOO!!!! . I would like to think that I am mainly guided by logic and reason. People like me have no real say in the direction of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies