Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 12:51 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
was bill clinton a 'self-branded bigot' when he signed the defense of marriage act?

what about obama 5 years ago? another 'self-branded bigot'?

Yep and yep.

That, or politically calculating opportunists.

Luckily, they corrected their past errors.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:17 PM

372 posts, read 1,042,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
AND, I hope they get sued. If the heterosexual bakers cannot say no to baking a cake for a Homosexual marriage, then vice versa is true and the barber/hairdresser cannot refuse service to a heterosexual, just because THEY don't agree with each other's decisions.

What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.
You can sue for anything, but can you win. If there are laws in that state/municipality prohibiting discrimination due to political speech, she'd have a shot.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:33 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,477 times
LMAO! So it's '' discrimination '' when a person refuses a specific service on the grounds of their religious values, but it's perfectly fine and is the business owner's right to refuse service to a person who has different political views?

The hypocrisy of gay activists and their supporters is not only hilarious, it's also completely asinine! Especially because they seem to be completely unaware of it.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:36 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
LMAO! So it's '' discrimination '' when a person refuses a specific service on the grounds of their religious values, but it's perfectly fine and is the business owner's right to refuse service to a person who has different political views?

The hypocrisy of gay activists and their supporters is not only hilarious, it's also completely asinine! Especially because they seem to be completely unaware of it.
It's not hypocrisy. Discrimination based on speech is DIFFERENT than discrimination based on an immutable characteristic.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:37 PM

I hope someone starts to sue your businesses, give you a taste of your own medicine!

Only difference is that you guys refuse ALL services completey out of hate and intolerance toward others beliefs, where as the Religious owned businesses refused only specific services out of respect for their deeply held religious values. None of them were homophobic or hated gays at all.

These kinds of things don't help your cause for the record. It does the exact opposite, it just makes you look like bullies.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:38 PM

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Exactly. Now, if he refused service politician because she was STRAIGHT, then that would be hypocrisy.

Frankly it's no different than anyone refusing to serve a politician that holds views they do not agree with.
The correct term is HETEROSEXUAL or REGULAR. "Straight" is for rulers and yardsticks!

Old 03-04-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's not hypocrisy. Discrimination based on speech is DIFFERENT than discrimination based on an immutable characteristic.
Guess I should be allowed to not serve gay activists, simply because they have different political views than I do and an immutable characteristic?

Do you see the holes in your arguments? You guys know this is wrong, but you just let your personal biases get in the way of admitting it.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Guess I should be allowed to not serve gay activists, simply because they have different political views than I do
You do.

Quote:
and an immutable characteristic?
Yes. Sexual orientation is an innate, immutable characteristic.

Quote:
Do you see the holes in your arguments? You guys know this is wrong, but you just let your personal biases get in the way of admitting it.
No, I don't see the holes in my argument. I see counter arguments, but I find them less compelling than the arguments on my side.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:46 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,446,267 times
Quote:
Guess I should be allowed to not serve gay activists, simply because they have different political views than I do and an immutable characteristic?

For some reason they don't seem to think it would be ok to deny service to gays because you don't believe in their political views but ok to do the reverse.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
For some reason they don't seem to think it would be ok to deny service to gays because you don't believe in their political views but ok to do the reverse.
Gay is a sexual orientation - not a political view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies