Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:40 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

I am absolutely confident this woman will not cross a classroom door again. As a substitute, she is not tenured, she is a temporary employee with at-will employment that can be severed without cause or notice, and they will not allow her back. Just to make something clear, substitutes do not have to be certified teachers, the only requirement in Nevada is that they have 60 hours of college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Well, I've got doctors that disagree with you, so I'm going with their opinion.

However, let's go a bit further with this. Her lunch actually is close to the 4 hour mark. She goes to the restroom before school most mornings, but if she doesn't .go before leaving the house she uses the restroom when she gets to school @ 8:20 or so. They have a break at 10:30ish every morning, and she generally uses the restroom then. Their next opportunity to use the restroom is at 12:30, after they eat lunch. From that point until she gets off the bus between 3:30 and 3:45 there is no other scheduled break for them to use the restroom. Your contention is that a 9 year old should be expected to go for 3+ hours without having to use the restroom after lunch? You might want to rethink that position, as I've had conversations with several doctors, multiple nurses, and quite a few teachers who all disagree with both you and my daughter's teacher. While I understand that some people have the bladder capacity of a camel, most people need to use the restroom an hour or so after ingesting food and water. I've known adults that couldn't go for 3 hours without using the restroom, so expecting a 9 year old to do it is just a tad crazy, in my opinion.
A teacher with any sense would have a scheduled bathroom break for third graders about an hour after lunch ends. She is setting herself up for inattentive kids, if nothing else.

Quote:

I have been having a lot of fun writing the return notes, though. My wife and I came to the conclusion that our goal is to get our daughter through the 3rd grade, rebuild her confidence over the summer (she's gotten to the point that she asks to use the restroom at home recently), and make certain sure that our younger daughter doesn't get the same teacher in a couple of years. Once we reached that decision, my creativity was unleashed and I've been getting more descriptive with my notes every time she sends a note home about restroom activity. In one of the notes I used the term "as yellow as liquid morning sunshine."
As much as you get a giggle or two from your creative notes, you are not doing your daughter any favors, at this point, by being flippant with her teacher. You daughter spends at least 6-7 hours a day with this woman and she has a lot of control over how pleasant or unpleasant those long hours are for your daughter. You don't want to set your daughter up for her teacher getting annoyed at you and taking it out on her. The teacher may not even be aware she is doing it and it may be tiny little things that erode your child's confidence so there will be nothing to point to. I have seen it happen. Best thing to do is respond with a polite "Thank you for keeping us informed and we will discuss this with Little Pookie" and leave it at that. It isn't right, but you are correct, at this juncture you just need to get her through the year. - Just a little advice from an experienced teacher who has seen enough to understand how this often plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozzie View Post
I'm astonished by the fact that parents would tolerate someone abusing their child like that.
You must be young. Childcentric society is fairly new.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:17 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I attended a Catholic elementary school a long time ago.

This sort of thing was common. So was getting whacked and humiliated in class or church.

If a kid went home and complained, it's likely a parent would give the kid another whack for good measure.
Yeah, that's how it was. I remember a kid in a lower grade having to go and he just wet his pants and the floor. The nuns had his older sister come clean up the floor. I don't think they really cared about him.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
All good. It's kind of a sensitive subject at the moment since I've been dealing with her teacher for almost 9 months. Sorry if I came across as a jerk in my post. But yeah, it's an average of 4 times in an 8 hour period. There are the rare occasions when she has to go 5 times, and more frequently only 3 times.

We have several good friends who are teachers, and you're right. Not all of them are mean or authoritarian. However, I've found that when you run across one that is you'll have the devil's time trying to get the situation sorted out. My daughter's principal actually told me "I try not to get involved in the way that teachers run their classrooms." Seriously? What are you there for if not to make sure that the teachers are doing their job properly? Also, we got a doctor's note toward the beginning of the year when the teacher strongly suggested that she may have a medical problem. It hasn't helped in the slightest when it comes to the asinine notes that get sent home. The ironic thing is, when my daughter does misbehave in class the woman can barely manage to write out "She was off task today," but when it comes to her using the restroom she keeps me well informed.

I have been having a lot of fun writing the return notes, though. My wife and I came to the conclusion that our goal is to get our daughter through the 3rd grade, rebuild her confidence over the summer (she's gotten to the point that she asks to use the restroom at home recently), and make certain sure that our younger daughter doesn't get the same teacher in a couple of years. Once we reached that decision, my creativity was unleashed and I've been getting more descriptive with my notes every time she sends a note home about restroom activity. In one of the notes I used the term "as yellow as liquid morning sunshine."
Teachers really have not changed that much thru the ages. When my children were young when I was young and in school, there were teachers just like this one. When a teacher is mean, she is to the core, and when you have a nice decent, good hearted kind caring teacher, she deserves props. I know many kind loving teachers, who would do anything for their students.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozzie View Post
I'm astonished by the fact that parents would tolerate someone abusing their child like that.
What - the Catholic school administration whacking the kids on the behind?

That's not abuse - it is discipline - and is done with the full consent of the parents.

On a somewhat related side note, Harrier is reading a book about the Tudor monarchs in England.

It seems that one of Lady Elizabeth's tutors was advocating for not beating children if they did not perform well academically, not because it was abusive, but because it was counterproductive.

This was early - mid 16th century England and his ideas were considered controversial.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:37 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Angry *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozzie
SPARKS, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- A Washoe County second grader claims he was forced to wet his pants, and sit in his own urine for two hours.
Someone should force this idiot TO WET HER PANTS AND STAY IN THEM ALL DAY!!

Poor boy

Old 03-06-2014, 06:37 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
if said kid pointed loaded finger at said teacher little wet Willie would have been suspended...

Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
If the teacher did this, yes, I agree, they should fired. Just a note, most people here have already convicted the teacher, without hearing their side. Children have been known to by a bit, let's say, dishonest, when addressing a prent over something they are in the wrong, or ashamed of, and trying to blame it on someone else. I haven't heard the teacher's side of the story, so I am withholding judgment at this time.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 3,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yeah, that's how it was. I remember a kid in a lower grade having to go and he just wet his pants and the floor. The nuns had his older sister come clean up the floor. I don't think they really cared about him.
Now that's just terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies