Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:07 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Yup great public transportation in South Florida. Great top education in Florida public schools and community colleges
HA! Public transportation where?!?! I-95 in Miami?

Education in what?

What you consider great, I'm inclined to compare it to the rest of the country. Comparatively speaking, Florida is at the bottom half of the barrel in virtually everything.

The beaches are nice, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:13 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
HA! Public transportation where?!?! I-95 in Miami?

Education in what?

What you consider great, I'm inclined to compare it to the rest of the country. Comparatively speaking, Florida is at the bottom half of the barrel in virtually everything.

The beaches are nice, however.
I think Florida gets a lot of unnecessary hate on here. I've been there before and thought it was nice, though I wouldn't want to live there (low paying jobs, too flat, and WAY too hot in the summer) but it's certainly not a bad place.

It's the only other state aside from Hawaii that has the best winter weather. And I would take Florida summers over Northeast winters anyday!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:16 PM

66 posts, read 102,732 times
In most blue states I can smoke marijuana in the privacy of my own home. In my red states I risk long prison sentences for doing this.

In most red states I can shoot a criminal who approaches me on a dark street via my concealed carry weapon.

In most blue states its "stay away from dark streets! Besides, it probably won't happen to you!"

Neither Republicans nor Democrats advocate anything remotely close to real freedom.

Democrats cater to the vices of feminine beta male types, Republicans cater to the lower IQ obese types w/ masculinity issues.

Both represent un-freedom, both appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I think Florida gets a lot of unnecessary hate on here. I've been there before and thought it was nice, though I wouldn't want to live there (low paying jobs, too flat, and WAY too hot in the summer) but it's certainly not a bad place.
They make it really easy for us to do. I rip on Florida because my dad moved down there for retirement form New York and is stuck there with an underwater mortgage. That can happen to anyone, but having visited many times.. I don't know why anyone would pick Florida over 75% of the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
It's the only other state aside from Hawaii that has the best winter weather. And I would take Florida summers over Northeast winters anyday!
This is just my personal opinion and I mean you no disrespect, but weather seems like a really trivial reason to choose a place to live. Sunshine is very expensive, which is why most Middle Class people are leaving California. The climate in most of the United States is actually very good by world standards.

Still, we are spoiled with being able to choose so many different climates.

I live in Buffalo but travel nationally for work roughly two weeks per month. People here complain about weather all the time, but outside of California and Hawaii, Buffalo has the best weather in the country hands down from May to mid October.

I've been to Florida, Arizona, and Texas in this past August / September and I wanted to strangle someone.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:28 PM

66 posts, read 102,732 times
Quote:
They make it really easy for us to do. I rip on Florida because my dad moved down there for retirement form New York and is stuck there with an underwater mortgage. That can happen to anyone, but having visited many times.. I don't know why anyone would pick Florida over 75% of the United States.

This is just my personal opinion and I mean you no disrespect, but weather seems like a really trivial reason to choose a place to live.
Really? It seems to me to be the most rational, level-headed reason to put a place at the top/bottom of your list that I can think of.

The US is all one big corporate strip mall nowadays. Weather is one of the only things left that is unique about a place.
Quote:
I live in Buffalo....but outside of California and Hawaii, Buffalo has the best weather in the country hands down from May to mid October.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyvip View Post
Really? It seems to me to be the most rational, level-headed reason to put a place at the top/bottom of your list that I can think of.
Well... in my opinion.. weather is just weather. It isn't worth me forking over so much cash for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyvip View Post
The US is all one big corporate strip mall nowadays. Weather is one of the only things left that is unique about a place.
Agreed. I have noticed this in my travels. It kinda sucks.

Some cities do retain a good bit of originality.. but they are very regional. The Southwest maintains Mexican roots, West coast Asian, Great Lakes / Northeast lots of ethnic foods, South with its own culture.

This is one thing I absolutely despise about Texas. Texas is so business friendly that small cultured eateries are trumped by every fast food / chain restaurant on the planet.

I wasn't kidding about Buffalo between May to October. Days feature 60-80F highs, moderate to low humidity and over 60% possible sunshine (65% in June, July, August, which is more than the entire eastern half of the country including Florida)

Chicago / Detroit / Minneapolis also feature really nice sunny summers due to being continental climates (lower humidity than the coast). Buffalo is just cooler thanks to its location on Lake Erie and Ontario (prevailing wind side). Chicago gets hotter than a sweatshop in July.

Staying on topic... I have friends that moved from the Northeast to Houston and Dallas. They like it but they said sometimes they get uncomfortable straying from the city limits because they say it gets way too conservative. They tell me on facebook that Obama protesters are always on the side of the highway (I saw one in Florida too) with signs, loaded guns and American flags. We don't get that up here, lol.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:09 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,328 times
I find difference in freedom between the states is much more about the population level than red or blue states. The states with a high population are very strict with lots of laws.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I find difference in freedom between the states is much more about the population level than red or blue states. The states with a high population are very strict with lots of laws.
Yep, exactly. Higher population states have higher densities. Higher densities lean blue, because they require more regulations. People in closer proximity can't have too much freedom because it encroaches on their neighbor (who lives 3 feet from them). You just won't see automatic weapons rampit in New York City or Chicago... too much potential carnage.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Yep, exactly. Higher population states have higher densities. Higher densities lean blue, because they require more regulations. People in closer proximity can't have too much freedom because it encroaches on their neighbor (who lives 3 feet from them). You just won't see automatic weapons rampit in New York City or Chicago... too much potential carnage.
There aren't many automatic weapons in Texas either. Lots of semi-automatic ones though. You still don't see them much - unless you are at a shooting range.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
This is one thing I absolutely despise about Texas. Texas is so business friendly that small cultured eateries are trumped by every fast food / chain restaurant on the planet.
You really don't know much about Texas. Here in Austin, we have some amazing restaurants. Two Austin restaurants made GQ magazine's list of the top 25 new restaurants of 2013, including #1 and #13.

The 25 Best New Restaurants in America - 2014

Austin is one of the top cities in the world for street food. And some of these food trucks have become stellar brick and mortar restaurants - like #1 in GQ's list.

Medium sized Fort Worth is exploding with great local eateries.

You shouldn't make up stories about something you know nothing about. I am willing to bet it is easier to open a new restaurant in Texas than New York - local or chain. Why would Texas' business friendly climate work only for chains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies