Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 08:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's simple: let the parents feed them. Or not.
Yes. My mom was able to do that -- and any kid over age 8 could certainly help make a sandwich to pack for lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 08:44 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes. My mom was able to do that -- and any kid over age 8 could certainly help make a sandwich to pack for lunch.
My mom chose the school lunch program when it was available. So what?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,907,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
She's almost 6' tall and in terrific shape, substantially better than the majority of the people.

According to the Heart Association, "one in three American kids and teens is overweight or obese, nearly triple the rate in 1963".

https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Getti...54_Article.jsp

No reason for schools to sell junk food.

Parents who want their kids to eat junk remain free to pack a lunch of junk for their kids.
I remember back in the 70's my friends and I didn't eat lunch, every day. Gave us more time to play off campus, eating wasn't our most important thought come 12:00. My friends and I hated school food. I seemed to leave my lunch on the counter even when my mom made it. Kids don't need to eat as often as people think and they're smart enough to know when they're hungry. Less P.E., along with fast food, the availability of sugar foods, energy drinks/sodas, alcohol has shot the obesity rate up.

By the way I agree with you, Michelle is not over weight! On the other hand, the government has no business getting into school diets. I thought schools had dietitians and doctors working with them already, where is it the government's job to intervene?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:47 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
Speaking for myself I have no issue with schools serving lunches. I ate lunch at school everyday. Everyday except chicken salad sandwich day.
The first time I ever ate a Taco was at school. I liked the Ziti, and I liked the school pizza.
Paying for low income kids to eat? I have no issue with this either. Parents are poor and this is a program that 100% benefits the child.
I am no fan of Mrs. Obama, but is eating healthier such a bad thing? I travel and I'll tell you this our kids are fat compared to other countries. I mean we have a lot of fat kids.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 AM

259 posts, read 151,074 times
Eating healthier and teaching kids good eating habits it's not only "not a bad thing" but it's critical to having a healthy population. Yes, America has terrible eating habits as exemplified by the number of obese people we have so changing these habits is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am no fan of Mrs. Obama, but is eating healthier such a bad thing? I travel and I'll tell you this our kids are fat compared to other countries. I mean we have a lot of fat kids.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's simple: let the parents feed them. Or not.
This is the way I see it, I never asked the school or anyone to feed my 2 boys. They never knew PB& J and a crock pot of Pinto Beans w/hamburger for a week or 2 meant we were broke.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:59 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I remember back in the 70's my friends and I didn't eat lunch, every day. Gave us more time to play off campus, eating wasn't our most important thought come 12:00. My friends and I hated school food. I seemed to leave my lunch on the counter even when my mom made it. Kids don't need to eat as often as people think and they're smart enough to know when they're hungry. Less P.E., along with fast food, the availability of sugar foods, energy drinks/sodas, alcohol has shot the obesity rate up.

By the way I agree with you, Michelle is not over weight! On the other hand, the government has no business getting into school diets. I thought schools had dietitians and doctors working with them already, where is it the government's job to intervene?
There have to be nutrition standards, and they have to have the force of law. You'd think this "change" was something totally out of the ordinary, when in reality, the standards change every so often.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,131,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This is the way I see it, I never asked the school or anyone to feed my 2 boys. They never knew PB& J and a crock pot of Pinto Beans w/hamburger for a week or 2 meant we were broke.
You take responsibility. But many parents don't. Does that mean we should ignore the children of those wo don't and let them go hungry at lunch?

Old 03-08-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
Eating healthier and teaching kids good eating habits it's not only "not a bad thing" but it's critical to having a healthy population. Yes, America has terrible eating habits as ecemplified by the number of obese people we have so changing those habits is very important.
Doesn't matter how healthy one eats if enough exercise is not included then food just sits, so school cuts P.E. activity. Putting soda and chip machines in the schools was brilliant thinking!

The schools showed our kids, add sugar and sit more and they wonder why the kids carry this through their daily lives. My town's high school encourages social time during breaks and lunch, by going into a room that has flat screen TV's and computers lined up to encourage socializing and getting to know one another. The school doesn't encourage getting out in the clean mountain air.

Is air or the sun too dangerous?

Old 03-08-2014, 09:14 AM

46,220 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There have to be nutrition standards, and they have to have the force of law. You'd think this "change" was something totally out of the ordinary, when in reality, the standards change every so often.
And here you go....more law...so the parent does not have to deal with the child....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies