Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 02:26 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times

Advertisements

It's just to force others acceptance, "we are married just like you"

Old 03-08-2014, 02:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
The 2 member partnership is already established.

Once a partnership / association has been established this removes any need for further refinement or any additional member(s) or participant(s) beyond the first 2 original parties.
You've lost me. How is this any different than marriage? You said you wanted marriage not to be the determining factor for benefits etc.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It's just to force others acceptance, "we are married just like you"
Couples getting married doesn't force anybody to be accepting.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:33 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
I will ask these questions AGAIN since they have not been answered for YEARS ...

What "special" rights are same-sex couples asking for?
What changes in YOUR marriage if same-sex marriages become legal on a State or Federal level?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:41 PM

493 posts, read 783,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Wrong, we do know. Look beyond your backyard to countries that have had SSM for years. Nearly 10 years in Canada.
NONE of the fear mongering ideas have come true. There is not one country or jurisdiction that has equal marriage that has reported any issues.

I don't ever remember being taught about marriage in school. If however discussions about marriage were to come up, it would be very odd if equal marriage wasn't mentioned, since it's the reality and the law of the land in Canada.
Keeping children in the dark, is not education.

Gay couples have been able to adopt children in my province of B.C. since 1993. Again, no issues whatsoever. The Boy Scouts in Canada and the Girl Guides also accept gay leaders.

If Canada and other countries can see fit to treat all citizens with dignity and equal rights, surely the U.S. can as well.
i'd never want to make it seem like one's location should exclude their right to participation.

but then again, i also think one has the duty to be completely honest and self critical before proclaiming their own perceived righteousness.

in other words, i find it disturbing that a country where the age of sexual consent is 14 years of age, and a country where sexual predators prey on young girls with impunity, would be portrayed as some kind of example to be followed.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:45 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is it for the government benefits?
Filing IRS jointly?

Is it for mandatory job benefits?
Insurance?

Is it for the end of life care?

Is it for assets after your partner is dead?

Is it so the other partner has a say in child rearing?

Or is it just to say you are a gay married couple?

I have to wonder in the reasoning?

There is an easy way out of all this, if it were not being used as a power grab over more lives, instead of setting us all free of government interference.
You have to buy friends, in these days of greed.
Equality. It's not rocket science.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:49 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Couples getting married doesn't force anybody to be accepting.
That is for sure.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:02 PM

493 posts, read 783,230 times
Quote:

" .... family unit "
that term doesnt mean what you thought it meant

Old 03-08-2014, 03:14 PM

259 posts, read 151,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
i'd never want to make it seem like one's location should exclude their right to participation.

but then again, i also think one has the duty to be completely honest and self critical before proclaiming their own perceived righteousness.

in other words, i find it disturbing that a country where the age of sexual consent is 14 years of age, and a country where sexual predators prey on young girls with impunity, would be portrayed as some kind of example to be followed.

Ahem. The age of consent in Canada is actually 16, just like in New Jersey.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:19 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is it for the government benefits?
Filing IRS jointly?

Is it for mandatory job benefits?
Insurance?

Is it for the end of life care?

Is it for assets after your partner is dead?

Is it so the other partner has a say in child rearing?

Or is it just to say you are a gay married couple?

I have to wonder in the reasoning?

There is an easy way out of all this, if it were not being used as a power grab over more lives, instead of setting us all free of government interference.
You have to buy friends, in these days of greed.
All of the above! NEXT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies