Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
We've always been secular. I'd argue we're more religious than we used to be, since Christian Fundamentalism didn't exist when this country was founded, and the religious right wasn't influencing politics.
No more prayer in school.
No more mention of "Christmas".
No religious icons in public places.

No we are becoming more secular as people become "offended" to the point of taking it to court.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sure go ahead and not see it for what it is.

Are we not being pushed to a more secular society ?
The family structure has been changing since LBJ's great programs went into effect.

Yeah..deflect it all back to me personally because you don't want to deal with it.

Government will pick up the pieces.
Government will take over for the family pillar and give you money and take care of your kids.
Government will take over for the religion pillar and tell you what is right and wrong via legislation.

"It takes a village" remember ? The village is the government.

You can't debate that the 2 pillars are not crumbling ?
Don't want to deal with it? Faith is deeply personal, pursue any faith you choose, I think it's easier in 2014 to do so than any time prior. How is Government impacting your faith?

Explain how "Government" has negatively impacted your family? If people need help it's available, but I choose to remain in a long-standing strong marriage, and take care of my own family physically, emotionally, and financially. How has that been negatively impacted by "LBJ's great programs"?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
In states where SSM is legal you can. Go for it. Plenty of heterosexuals marry out of convenience. What's the difference?
You can also do it where it's not legal.

Joint ownership is valid and legal and doesn't require a civil union.

Any 2 people can legally own property and not be "married".

Old 03-11-2014, 08:57 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Prayer is perfectly legal in school.
Quote:
I don't know anyone who is banned from mentioning Christmas. I hear people say it all the time.

Quote:
Why do you need a 40 foot cross in front of a government building? How does that make us religious? Sounds like idolatry to me.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:

No we are becoming more secular as people become "offended" to the point of taking it to court.
Cry me a river, you are free to practice the religion of your choosing, just not in federal institutions or property. Boo hoo. You can mention Christmas all you want, that's the biggest lie ever the "War on Christmas".

What does any of this have to do with recognizing civil marriages for all?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Don't want to deal with it? Faith is deeply personal, pursue any faith you choose, I think it's easier in 2014 to do so than any time prior. How is Government impacting your faith?

Explain how "Government" has negatively impacted your family? If people need help it's available, but I choose to remain in a long-standing strong marriage, and take care of my own family physically, emotionally, and financially. How has that been negatively impacted by "LBJ's great programs"?
Who said anything about "negative impact" ?

Are you looking for examples of prison time, torture and penalties ?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Who said anything about "negative impact" ?

Are you looking for examples of prison time, torture and penalties ?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:

Anyone can pray in school if they so choose.
Christmas is "mentioned" and heavily advertised starting in October now. No one is banned from mentioning Christmas.
Religious icons are allowed in public places. The rub comes when you want to ban all but YOUR particular religious icon. (see the 10 commandments issue in OK.) The offended ones are the ones that want to ONLY have their religious icons, and not allow others to use public property for their religious icons.
Not to mention there are churches EVERYWHERE with their religious icons right out there road side, you can put a big cross in your front yard if you want.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Anyone can pray in school if they so choose.
Christmas is "mentioned" and heavily advertised starting in October now. No one is banned from mentioning Christmas.
Religious icons are allowed in public places. The rub comes when you want to ban all but YOUR particular religious icon. (see the 10 commandments issue in OK.) The offended ones are the ones that want to ONLY have their religious icons, and not allow others to use public property for their religious icons.
Not to mention there are churches EVERYWHERE with their religious icons right out there road side, you can put a big cross in your front yard if you want.

Organized is gone via court rulings.

Sure anyone can still do that but court rulings ended the organized part.

Public sector is where the changes were made.

People aren't offended with a box of condoms being in the nurse's office but are offended with a box of bibles in the attendance office at public schools.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:10 AM

872 posts, read 827,938 times
Quote:
I don't believe you. Every gay person I know never made a choice. Nobody chooses their attractions, so I believe you aren't telling the truth.
It does not matter to me what you think.

One of the girls that is gay, said she made the choice to be with women because she had a bad relationship with her ex husband (no physical abuse). It happens....just because YOU do not know of any gay people that made that choice.....does NOT mean it is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies