Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:10 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The Democrats in the legislature don't have a real job, so they spend their time dreaming up and drafting inane laws that regulate every little bit of life in the state just to make themselves seem useful and relevant.

I'm amazed they then didn't immediately create a state agency to regulate the disposal of all these gloves.

And an agency to enforce that agency...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
And while they think that will create a "healthy environment" I've seen people wearing the plastic gloves prepare your food and then take your money and give you change while still wearing those plastic gloves and then go back to doling out food.

I think I'd prefer no plastic gloves.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:20 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Exactly. When my wife was pregnant, she was told by many to "not scoop the cat litter box anymore" by numerous people. Being the INTJ that I am, I questioned not whether that was good advice, but whether such advice had crept into our social and psychological structure to the point that perhaps "not scooping the litter box" was part and parcel of the overall scheme to protect unborn children, which in turn had the opposite affect and instead had a deleterious affect on child allergies. When 20 million women are told not to scoop that cat box, and that becomes the new "norm," and more children have "peanut allergies" and other previously uncommon illnesses, then perhaps we can look back and say we shot ourselves in the foot by overreacting to bad advice?
I don't diagree with you about the hysteria regarding normal germs. However, the cat litter thing is a precaution against this Toxoplasmosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and is one which I took note of.

Same as listeria etc. I'm all for kids playing in the dirt but serious bacterial infections that can harm a baby in utero are a bit scary.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't diagree with you about the hysteria regarding normal germs. However, the cat litter thing is a precaution against this Toxoplasmosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and is one which I took note of.

Same as listeria etc. I'm all for kids playing in the dirt but serious bacterial infections that can harm a baby in utero are a bit scary.
My concern is not necessarily over cat litter, but the general notion that so many "do not do's" are communicated that women are effectively creating sterile children, and thus corresponding weak immune systems.

The cat litter thing makes sense, though.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

And for people that have had cats years before becoming pregnant most likely they have already caught it and developed antibodies for it.

A simple blood test can tell if you have the antibody. If you do you can't catch it again and there is no risk to the unborn child.
The risk is the first time exposure when pregnant.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:32 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
People may wash their hands more often working bare handed. Just a thought.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:34 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
It's similar to the reusable grocery bag germ issue. After repeated use, reusable grocery bags are essentially germ and bacteria factories.....much dirtier and dangerous to people than the unused plastic bags that liberals tell us are killing the Earth.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
It's similar to the reusable grocery bag germ issue. After repeated use, reusable grocery bags are essentially germ and bacteria factories.....much dirtier and dangerous to people than the unused plastic bags that liberals tell us are killing the Earth.
Now have workers put on gloves and leave them on for 4-8 hours while doing all their various "jobs".

Lawmakers must think these employees are going to act like hospital staff with the gloves.

You think people are going to
-put on the gloves to make your food
-take off the gloves to ring up the food and take your money/give change
-put on a new pair of gloves for the next person

How many pairs of gloves do you think mgmt is going to supply ?
How many mgrs will actually tell their people to change gloves ?

Old 03-07-2014, 03:56 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
My concern is not necessarily over cat litter, but the general notion that so many "do not do's" are communicated that women are effectively creating sterile children, and thus corresponding weak immune systems.

The cat litter thing makes sense, though.
Yep, I'll agree with that.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:56 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now have workers put on gloves and leave them on for 4-8 hours while doing all their various "jobs".

Lawmakers must think these employees are going to act like hospital staff with the gloves.

You think people are going to
-put on the gloves to make your food
-take off the gloves to ring up the food and take your money/give change
-put on a new pair of gloves for the next person

How many pairs of gloves do you think mgmt is going to supply ?
How many mgrs will actually tell their people to change gloves ?
Most companies already require everything you listed. I would actually be surprised to find one that didn't. No company wants to increase their expenses, but gloves are much cheaper than even one sick customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies