Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 04:12 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times

Advertisements

There isn't really any gender pay gap, not for the same jobs. That is a myth.

Women earn less for a variety of reasons, none of which have to do with gender discrimination:

The Gender Pay Gap is a Complete Myth - CBS News

Even a study done under contract for the Department of Labor found:

"This study leads to the unambiguous conclusion that the differences in the compensation of men and women are the result of a multitude of factors and that the raw wage gap should not be used as the basis to justify corrective action. Indeed, there may be nothing to correct. The differences in raw wages may be almost entirely the result of the individual choices being made by both male and female workers."

http://www.consad.com/content/report...l%20Report.pdf

Here's another study:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...504707048.html

Someone should notify Obama that one of his favorite talking points is complete BS, but he probably already knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 06:45 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
We don't hate feminists, they're pretty hilarious.
Another poster that hasn't a clue what a Feminist is.

There are dictionaries on line.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:18 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Who on earth would want to boinky a passed out person>>>>>>disgusting!

Statutory rape does not have anything to do with what the OP mentioned!

Old 03-09-2014, 07:28 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Sure, but is that pressure coming solely from women? I think not.
No, it probably comes more from other men actually.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Women are supposed to be equal to men in every way.

1. So why is it statutory rape when a woman is drunk and a guy sleeps with her but not the other way around? Don't women want to be treated as equals? why don't they go to prison for sleeping with a drunk man?

2. Why do women pay less in auto insurance than men? Isn't that discrimination? I can GUARANTEE you there would be boycotts and protests if it was shown that men were less risky drivers and got to pay less for auto insurance. Why can't we charge different rates based on race then?

3. Since women on average make less than men because it is all because of discrimination and no other possible reasons, I guess you can say that Jewish men make more than American Caucasian men because of discrimination also. I mean it could be for no other reasons right?

4. Why do a majority of women scream discrimination when men make more than them, but a majority of those same women prefer to date guys that make more than them and prefer and expect them to in their personal life's?
1) If a woman is drunk then she is cannot give proper consent to sex. If a man exploits that, he runs the risk of being accused of rape in extreme cases, but why would you want to have sex with someone who isn't of sound mind to give consent?

2) Perhaps because women cause fewer accidents, are less likely to DUI or drive recklessly?

Women are Better Drivers Than Men: Study | NBC Southern California

3) High paying fields such as engineering, computer science for example are still very much dominated by men (one theory). I also feel that there is still age old discrimination going on, but I am not as naive to claim that discrimination is the ONLY reason, but you cannot say that it is not still a serious problem and that women are not getting low-balled in terms of salary.

4) Not even worth answering because this is just an assumption/judgment of yours and clearly not based on any factual evidence.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:03 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Who on earth would want to boinky a passed out person>>>>>>disgusting!
I think you'd be surprised with the answer. I don't see the allure myself, but from what I understand it's fairly common despite technically being a form of rape in most places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Statutory rape does not have anything to do with what the OP mentioned!
Perhaps what the OP was referring to was the double standard applied to teenagers (particularly drinkers/drug users) who engage in sexual activity. It's far easier for a teenage girl to claim (and win) a peer-related sexual crime case than it is for a boy of the same/similar age. It is a fallacious form of logic and it is a misapplication of the legal system to see women as either innocent or weak by default. Women enjoy sex every bit as much as men and, once puberty has set in we're all driven by the instinct to partake in the act of procreation.

Just my 2cents.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:11 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Oh, now we're equal partners in pregnancies? I guess just when it comes to paying for it.
Exactly!

"You must spread some reputation around......"

Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
1) If a woman is drunk then she is cannot give proper consent to sex. If a man exploits that, he runs the risk of being accused of rape in extreme cases, but why would you want to have sex with someone who isn't of sound mind to give consent?

2) Perhaps because women cause fewer accidents, are less likely to DUI or drive recklessly?

[url=http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Women-are-Better-Drivers-Than-Men-Study-137202638.html]Women are Better Drivers Than Men: Study | NBC Southern California[/url]

3) High paying fields such as engineering, computer science for example are still very much dominated by men (one theory). I also feel that there is still age old discrimination going on, but I am not as naive to claim that discrimination is the ONLY reason, but you cannot say that it is not still a serious problem and that women are not getting low-balled in terms of salary.

4) Not even worth answering because this is just an assumption/judgment of yours and clearly not based on any factual evidence.

Like all the posters, you never answered my real questions. You just answered the set up to my questions.

1) Yes, but if the guy is drunk he can't give consent either. So according to your logic if a girl is sober and a guy is drunk than it is rape from the woman. Or if they are both drunk then it isn't rape for the guy. They only apply the consent law when its the woman.

2) So if men caused fewer accidents you telling me that the feminists and liberals would not complain discrimination if men got to pay less? There was just a uproar about women having to pay more for healthcare than men. According to your logic it is OK to charge black people more if statistics show that they got in more accidents. So your OK with both of these?
And what is statistics showed that men are more likely to ask for raises, to take on leadership roles, and to seek out higher paying jobs. Wouldn't that explain the pay gap? Its the same logic you just used for car insurance.

3. Medical fields draw both men and women, yet men still make up a majority of the high paying positions like doctors, while women make up the lower paying fields like nursing. Its the same with education. The higher paying teaching positions like college professors and high school teachers have more men. It is a problem. It's a problem that women don't choose to go after these higher paying jobs. Its not discrimination. The same way you can't say Jewish people make more money because of discrimination.

4) Everyone knows its true. Don't lie to yourself. There are plenty of studies that show that rich men get more women. Increase your pay on a dating site if your a guy and your inbox is flooded with messages. A guy doesn't have a good job he is less attractive to women. DUH!

Old 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Like all the posters, you never answered my real questions. You just answered the set up to my questions.

1) Yes, but if the guy is drunk he can't give consent either. So according to your logic if a girl is sober and a guy is drunk than it is rape from the woman. Or if they are both drunk then it isn't rape for the guy. They only apply the consent law when its the woman.

2) So if men caused fewer accidents you telling me that the feminists and liberals would not complain discrimination if men got to pay less? There was just a uproar about women having to pay more for healthcare than men. According to your logic it is OK to charge black people more if statistics show that they got in more accidents. So your OK with both of these?
And what is statistics showed that men are more likely to ask for raises, to take on leadership roles, and to seek out higher paying jobs. Wouldn't that explain the pay gap? Its the same logic you just used for car insurance.

3. Medical fields draw both men and women, yet men still make up a majority of the high paying positions like doctors, while women make up the lower paying fields like nursing. Its the same with education. The higher paying teaching positions like college professors and high school teachers have more men. It is a problem. It's a problem that women don't choose to go after these higher paying jobs. Its not discrimination. The same way you can't say Jewish people make more money because of discrimination.

4) Everyone knows its true. Don't lie to yourself. There are plenty of studies that show that rich men get more women. Increase your pay on a dating site if your a guy and your inbox is flooded with messages. A guy doesn't have a good job he is less attractive to women. DUH!
If you would actually read & comprehend the posts on your own thread, you would know that someone already answered your #1. They specifically said yes, men should be able to cry rape if it happens to them. Go back & look for it.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:38 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Women are supposed to be equal to men in every way.

1. So why is it statutory rape when a woman is drunk and a guy sleeps with her but not the other way around? Don't women want to be treated as equals? why don't they go to prison for sleeping with a drunk man?

show the me the law or statuate. Regardless of the terms you are using, rape occurs when one party doesn't give consent to the other. Being drunk can fall into that . . men can be raped by either men or women.

FBI defines rape in a way that allows both men and women to be prosecuted (Against his will: The reality of male rape - CNN.com

Quote:
2. Why do women pay less in auto insurance than men? Isn't that discrimination? I can GUARANTEE you there would be boycotts and protests if it was shown that men were less risky drivers and got to pay less for auto insurance. Why can't we charge different rates based on race then?
Why do homeowners pay less?
Why do 25 year olds pay less?
Why do high credit scores pay less
don't confuse risk rates by demographics (including gender) for bias. They pay less because women, on average, have lower risks.

Quote:
3. Since women on average make less than men because it is all because of discrimination and no other possible reasons, I guess you can say that Jewish men make more than American Caucasian men because of discrimination also. I mean it could be for no other reasons right?
Individual cases are hard to measure

But on average (an entire workforce), you wouldn't expect a salary difference if the only thing that was different was gender. A workforce salary difference is indicator of overall bias, not if a specific case is fairly paid or not.

Quote:
4. Why do a majority of women scream discrimination when men make more than them, but a majority of those same women prefer to date guys that make more than them and prefer and expect them to in their personal life's?
Source or study?

i think this is made up observation, not backed up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies