U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:14 AM

6,304 posts, read 1,896,316 times
Default Senator seeks to block Zohydro pain drug

Anyone here ever been in pain? How about serious pain? Let's take this a step farther, how about REALLY serious pain, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year?

I, (And I HATE to use these words), am a handicapped veteran, having received a permanent disabling injury in 1986. I am in pain every moment of my life, sometimes less, sometimes more. I take 60mg's of Morphine a day, and sometimes have to take percoset along with it. I have been on narcotic painkillers for over 2 decades, after things like tramadol stopped being effective.

Want to know what pain is? Pain is having to roll out of bed, and crawl to the bathroom in the middle of the night, because the pain meds wore off and you HAVE to go to the bathroom, and cannot wait for a new dose to kick in. Pain becomes your focus, because you have to plan what you are going to do around it. Last time I went to Busch Gardens, I had to use a wheelchair, I cannot even walk through a grocery store without stopping several times. No more bowling, no dancing, no walking in the sand, no running with your grandchild, your day is a constant reminder of things you cannot do, and those things you used to enjoy, that have been taken away from you.

Then come the stares, on those days I have to use a cane, or crutches, or wear a knee immobilizer, or boot on my foot. And on those days that are better and I only limp a little, people watch that you have parked in handicapped parking and wonder why you get to park there... I actually came out of the mall once, to have a police officer waiting by my vehicle, to verify it was mine, registration, license. I can't fault him, he's got a job to do, someone called him, and he HAS to do his job, and I know, there are people who drive their spouse's vehicles and park illegally in handicapped parking, so I wasn't upset at him. I knew he would rather be out there removing a drunk driver from the street before they kill someone, or doing something else that provides him more meaning for his job, then check and make sure the guy in the handicapped spot is parked there legally. It was one of my better days, I was able to walk inside to the barbershop and then back out with only a minor limp on that day. Those days are few and far between, I enjoy them as much as possible, this wasn't going to ruin my day.

I WELCOME sleep. Even if I do wake up every 2-3 hours a night, a roll over in my sleep, it feels like a hacksaw blade ripping through my ankle or knee, and I jolt awake a surge of adrenaline shooting through me, yes, it means another 20-30 min for me to drop off back to sleep, if I can. Sleep is good, for a shor while, the pain isn't hammering at me.

Now comes a drug for people in serious pain. No, it may not take it all away, most pain medicines cannot make it go away totally, but the can allow people in serious pain, to function. I know this drug can be used improperly, and by addicts looking to get high, I mean seriously, they took sudofed (sp) off the shelves and now you have to ask the pharmacist for it because people were using it to make meth.

BUT, for those people who truly need a medicine like this, to deny them because it has the capacity for misuse? That is almost cruel and unusual punishment.

Don't get me wrong, I comprehend what this senator is saying, I think he needs to learn the other side of the coin though. He needs a day or 2 in MY shoes, or in the shoes of ANY person who is in need of a medication like this.

Senator seeks to block Zohydro pain drug | Fox News

Quote:
WASHINGTON Sen. Joe Manchin is calling on the government's top health official to overturn the approval of a powerful painkiller, arguing that the pill Zohydro could add to the national epidemic of prescription drug abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 06:19 AM

21,372 posts, read 5,260,394 times
So what is wrong with you?

Old 03-11-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So what is wrong with you?
It started when I rolled my right foot around 180 degrees... Things went downhill from there.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 AM

21,372 posts, read 5,260,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It started when I rolled my right foot around 180 degrees... Things went downhill from there.
Sounds like a pretty powerful pain killer for a foot injury. I thought this was supposed to br used on something like where a person is burned over a large area of their body or something similar

Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 AM

5,012 posts, read 1,695,053 times
It is a shame that people do abuse pain killers and the rest of the population suffer and are treated like junkies. I was recently in the hospital for acute pancreatitis and it was swollen to the max on top of it. The doctor wanted to send me home with out no pain meds and I had to fight to get them. I was healing and only took 2 pain killers from the script that he wrote.
I will admit that I was afraid of that pain and am doing everything I can with proper diet which I think my bad diet set it off. I also totally stopped drinking alcohol since it could set it off. I never thought I would be afraid of beer but I am and you can call me a wuss but anyone with any sense would do the same.
Your situation is more severe then mine because you need your legs and the docs have done all they can do. Some people will say you are hooked on pain killers, well duh if you were in constant pain so would you. What is the alternative? you should be denied and made to suffer every minute of life.
The only solution I can think of and I am not sure it is one is harsher sentencing for people caught with script drugs with out a script. From what I seen those people do not do much jail time and mostly are fined and put on probation. I always resented when I was in school that because of one student the teacher would punish the whole class by everyone putting their head down on there desk in silence. And abuse of scripts is treated the same way where a small minority abuse and the majority gets punished along with them.
Thank you for your service to our country my heart goes out to you brother.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:10 AM

1,754 posts, read 483,412 times
Yes it is a shame that since idiots abuse it then the good people have to suffer, but that is the mind of the democrats . Make everyone suffer , anything can be abused not just pills. This kind of logic is so stupid seriously , it deprives the good people that need it from it .

Old 03-11-2014, 07:31 AM

10,507 posts, read 2,385,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Anyone here ever been in pain? How about serious pain? Let's take this a step farther, how about REALLY serious pain, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year?

{snip}.

BUT, for those people who truly need a medicine like this, to deny them because it has the capacity for misuse? That is almost cruel and unusual punishment.

Don't get me wrong, I comprehend what this senator is saying, I think he needs to learn the other side of the coin though. He needs a day or 2 in MY shoes, or in the shoes of ANY person who is in need of a medication like this.

Senator seeks to block Zohydro pain drug | Fox News
He wants to ban it? Why, did someone ask him to ban a competitive pain killer? He wants to ban a new drug because he thinks it might lead to addiction in some people? Like you said, what about the people who the drug is designed for, should they be denied the help they need because someone else is abusing their drug?

Too many politicians are advocacy addicts. They always fell the need to look busy. They always seem to be on the prowl, looking for the next, new, big issue to rally behind, so they can show how much they care. Or is it so they can demonstrate how powerful and influential they are?

The trouble is, we have over 600 of these opportunistic, nanny state fools using the federal government to push their agenda du jour, no wonder our country is such a mess.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sounds like a pretty powerful pain killer for a foot injury. I thought this was supposed to br used on something like where a person is burned over a large area of their body or something similar
Injuring the ankle, is only part. You limp and fall, over the years, the acl was torn in the right knee, the meniscus, (sp), also the left knee has been damaged and the left ankle now has DJD. Falls over the years acct for 9 bones broken in both feet, also the torn ligaments in the left knee, and my right hand broken and requiring surgery. My hips have also developed DJD, as well as minor back issues. When you limp all the time, you place a number of pressures on various parts of the body they were not meant to take, all because of the initial problems in the right ankle. One fall left me with a minor concussion, along with several falls also causing back injuries.

It's not just the foot any longer, it's both ankles, both knees, both hips, and my back, cumulative effects.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 AM

33,256 posts, read 27,250,049 times
I have been in serious pain a few times (getting shot over my right kidney by a small caliber machine pistol that did not penetrate my makeshift old armor and a gangrenous gall bladder were really memorable) and I was given a lot of morphine at the time. After the gall bladder operation I taped down the pain med button until I felt better.

As Darkatt well knows pain meds are a tool that helps people function. Being without them can be debilitating misery. IIRC most to the effective ones, including the most effective of all Heroine, are based on natural morphine. heroine is a registered trademark of an analgesic developed to ease the misery of the wounded from the Franco-Prussian War in the 1880's. Yes, this is a very addictive substance when used as an analgesic or for recreation. Too bad, nothing is perfect.

I have used the opiates for pain. It makes the pain go away. I feel better after I take a Percocet or other powerful pain pill but I do reserve them for serious pain. I do not get any "high" other then the relief of pain. I get relaxed and sleepy just as I do after drinking whiskey.

I do not see why the government should regulate or restrict either even if they can, if used excessively, kill the user. IMHO that is the abuser's problem. This is a very callus idea but I believe the criminality that is the response to any prohibition of drugs, including the opiates and alcohol, is far more costly to the whole society than the loss of a few addicts. We should try to keep the stuff away for children that may not realize the consequences of recreational drug use but any adult that does not realize what can happen is simply ignorant. I am not my brother's keeper.

I believe these substances should be reasonably available to any adult with the money. They should be manufactured to meet potency and contamination standards just like whiskey (we do not want methanol laced bathtub gin) and sold, as whiskey is in New Hampshire, in government owned and operated stores.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 AM

3,932 posts, read 6,182,511 times
Don't worry. When the Big Pharma bagmen stop by the honorable Senator's office....he will "reconsider" his opposition to the drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies