Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we keep Daylight Savings Time (DST) year round?
Yes - Keep DST / "Summer Time" year-round 85 57.82%
No - Keep Standard / "Winter Time year-round 42 28.57%
No - Keep time changes 'as is' 20 13.61%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I suspect that this thread is filled with people who would prefer to remain teenagers all their lives.
How else to explain this disdain for the morning hours?

There is no better time of the day as far as I'm concerned. Few things more glorious than a sunrise and the feeling of new and exciting possibilities.
But whatever, I suppose that the cave-dwellers are entitled to their feelings too.

Oh, it feels soooo good getting that extra hour of light.......five six pick up sticks, seven eight, it's not too late! I don't know what ails me TigerLily, when I see a sunset, I see beauty, when I see a sunrise, I smell sulfur and need to get back inside somewhere quick before I reach a state of decomposition. Bright early morning light is just too sudden, should start out gray and overcast, then slowly clear out by mid morning, really liked my visits to Florida, it did that everyday. Sometimes the night can have exciting possibilities too......but you don't want to rush it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:52 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Think I just voted wrong on your poll. I voted for the bottom choice but meant to vote for the middle if that is saying to just have the correct time all the time. Daylight savings is a pain that is not necessary in this day and time.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:56 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
My internal clock is permanently set at Standard time.

Standard time is set on the actual 24 hour rotation of the Earth.

Daylight savings time is nothing but tomfoolery, created to encourage people to think there are more daylight hours in the summer than actually exist. With folks staying outside longer, benefiting later shoppers, sports activities and the like, there is supposedly less use of domestic electricity.
That was important in 1916, when electric power's demands outstripped the generation capacity in all the countries that adopted Daylight savings, and in time of war, when power is needed for industrial production more than private use.

But these days, the belief that electric usage is lessened by Daylight Savings Time is being seriously questioned. While it may help usage in some areas of our society, there are other areas where it hurts. Farmers, for example, have always worked from dawn to dusk, but Daylight Savings prevents them from delivering crops to grain elevators, for example, because the elevator workers quit work earlier than the farmers. There's no one in the elevator to accept the loads of grain.

Daylight savings makes life harder for commuters, as they have too make their early morning drive in the dark all year long instead of just part of the year. It also messes with their natural bodily rhythms artificially, making the morning driver more groggy than is necessary, increasing the possibility of accidents, and making workers feel more tired than they need to be.

Whatever advantages it offers are long gone now. I think it's time for DST to end. The sooner, the better.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:03 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
I hate "losing" an hour, but I love having more daylight at the end of the day. Even "gaining" an hour in the fall is hard to adjust to, so I'd prefer to just scrap the bi-annual time changes and keep "Daylight Savings" all year.

Would this be a good or bad idea?

The main reason why I could see people wanting to keep "standard" time in the winter is so that kids don't have to wait for the bus in the dark, but I think that could be remedied by having the school schedule start a little later.
well #1, you do realize that you don't actually "lose" an hour, except on the very first day, right? After that first day, it's still a 24 hr. day.

#2, even if we didn't do daylight savings time, the daylight hours would still get shorter in winter and longer in the summer. This naturally fluctuates with the earths rotation around the sun.

Yes, I would like to have DLST all year round. I like having the extra hour of daylight at the end of the day rather than in the morning. I don't understand all the people who whine and cry over it. How could changing the clocks ahead one hour really affect you all that much? Geeze, get over it.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 03-14-2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
" I honestly don't care if we keep standard or daylight time just stop moving the damn thing around."

Again, just striving to understand...
Just what is so difficult about "Spring Ahead; Fall Back"? Twice a year the clocks need to be reset. Why is that so very difficult? I have digital clocks, battery clocks, and windup clocks. Every one of them needs to be adjusted periodically to keep them moderately accurate. Setting them an hour ahead or back falls right in with the accuracy adjustments, so it isn't any big deal.
What is it that makes the twice a year reset such a big deal for some people?
I find the twice-annual ritual of changing the clocks to be annoying. Is it a big deal to me? No, not really. It's just another little nuisance that we have to deal with. I, for one, would be in favor of reducing life's little nuisances wherever possible.

I am in favor of picking one or the other and sticking with it year-round. I would lean towards DST, but I could accept year-round Standard Time too. Just pick one and be done with it.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Lightbulb Should we keep Daylight Savings Time (DST) year round?

I really wish they'd just stop the Daylight Savings Time "creep."

DST used to go from sometime in May until September/early October. Seems that each year, they extend it at both ends by a little.

Enough!

Old 03-14-2014, 11:38 PM

642 posts, read 1,113,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I suspect that this thread is filled with people who would prefer to remain teenagers all their lives.
How else to explain this disdain for the morning hours?

There is no better time of the day as far as I'm concerned. Few things more glorious than a sunrise and the feeling of new and exciting possibilities.
But whatever, I suppose that the cave-dwellers are entitled to their feelings too.

Wouldn't the perpetual teenagers be the ones who prefer 'standard time' since DST actually gets people up earlier, relative to the sun?

I love the sunrise too, and more people would get to experience it if we kept DST year round.

Last edited by abqpsychlist; 03-15-2014 at 12:00 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 11:59 PM

642 posts, read 1,113,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
well #1, you do realize that you don't actually "lose" an hour, except on the very first day, right? After that first day, it's still a 24 hr. day.
That 'loss' of the hour happens only one day, but the effects on people's sleep patterns can linger for days, even weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
#2, even if we didn't do daylight savings time, the daylight hours would still get shorter in winter and longer in the summer. This naturally fluctuates with the earths rotation around the sun.
Yeah, it's bad enough the days get shorter anyway, but it makes it that much worse knocking off an hour at the end of the day.

I think there's a lot more people awake between 6-8 PM than there are 6-8 AM, so, at least to me, it would make more sense to align the 'dark hours' to when most people are sleeping.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:39 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,423 times
I think I'd have less Seasonal Affected Disorder in the fall and winter if DST was year-round.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:42 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
My internal clock is permanently set at Standard time.

Standard time is set on the actual 24 hour rotation of the Earth.

Daylight savings time is nothing but tomfoolery, created to encourage people to think there are more daylight hours in the summer than actually exist. With folks staying outside longer, benefiting later shoppers, sports activities and the like, there is supposedly less use of domestic electricity.
That was important in 1916, when electric power's demands outstripped the generation capacity in all the countries that adopted Daylight savings, and in time of war, when power is needed for industrial production more than private use.

But these days, the belief that electric usage is lessened by Daylight Savings Time is being seriously questioned. While it may help usage in some areas of our society, there are other areas where it hurts. Farmers, for example, have always worked from dawn to dusk, but Daylight Savings prevents them from delivering crops to grain elevators, for example, because the elevator workers quit work earlier than the farmers. There's no one in the elevator to accept the loads of grain.

Daylight savings makes life harder for commuters, as they have too make their early morning drive in the dark all year long instead of just part of the year. It also messes with their natural bodily rhythms artificially, making the morning driver more groggy than is necessary, increasing the possibility of accidents, and making workers feel more tired than they need to be.

Whatever advantages it offers are long gone now. I think it's time for DST to end. The sooner, the better.
I agree. The days are naturally longer in the summer anyway. Why do we need it to be light out at 9:30 PM in June. You should try teaching teenagers when it's light out that late. As an adult I have trouble falling asleep too soon after the sun sets. I swear my students are more sleep deprived from the time change until the end of the year.

I vote to just keep winter time year round. That way, for at least part of the year, kids don't go to school in the dark and the sun sets before 9:00 PM in June/July
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies