Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:57 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Agreed. Luck is a factor, among the others that the OP listed.

Who doesn't know a creative, intelligent, hard-working person who just missed the gold ring? Conversely, who doesn't know a mediocre person doing well because they had well-off parents who were able to help them?
Sure, luck is always a factor to some degree. But like the Cadillac ad states, a person can "make their own luck" by putting forth the required effort and being there when luck presents itself. You can't be lucky if you weren't "present" to accept it to begin with.

I have been "lucky" a number of times in my life. But it wasn't that I woke up out of the bed and BAM something fell in my lap. It's because I was there in the moment, making things happen, and looking for the next step. Luck doesn't just show up. It happens because you're part and parcel of the equation to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 12:59 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
Luck plays a part. Some people work very hard on the straight and narrow, and still end up poor. Some people do many things wrong and still come out wealthy. The oppisite is also true. Some things in life you can control, some things you can't do, and some things you can control.

Such as it's easier to fund an idea when you have money, or know those who, then not. It's easier to work hard if you are not fighting a disease. You can make some of your luck by working hard, being in the right places, but others you cannot.

I know a wonderful guy who was well educated, hard working, lots of charisma that got things done. Then he was hit by a tractor trailer that crushed most of his body. Now he lost everything to medical bills and is taken care of in a rental on Medicaid. Another was working hard at her own business and fell ill with early onset dementia, who now does not even know who she is...she just sits in a bed screaming. Another has epilepsy after being hit by an unisured driver and worked a low wage job because it was hard to control. He could not get the surgery to repair it because his insurance says the procedure is elective, which doesn't matter since after the last grand mal seizure his heart stopped and he died.

If some one can point to them and say you make your own luck in life exclusively, and anything that happens to you is your fault, that's borderline monsterous.

These stupid liberal stereotypes are getting silly. Especially after people complain about conservative stereotypes constantly.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:00 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Where do you stand on this?
Some yes. Some no.

Just the same as with unsuccessful people.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Do you think that those who are successful in work and in life and in finances got to that point.......

........not because of hard work.

........not because of good decision-making.

........not because of they focused on both the process and the result.

........not because they paid attention to the right details.

........not because they put in what they wanted to get out.

........not because they played both their strengths and their weaknesses.

........not because they kept their instincts in check and resisted impulses.

........not because they knew they couldn't please everyone.

........not because they had an attitude of gratitude and loads of passion.

But because they had luck, and lots and lots of it?

When I read the comments on this thread and the linked Democratic Underground site, all I really see is a common theme that many believe that the key to success in America is not hard work, passion, good decisions, etc......it's merely LUCK!

Liberals revulsed by great Cadillac ad.

Really? Another BS "Cadillac" ad thread? If your version of "Success" is buying a Cadillac maybe I can sell you some Mary Kay products.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:02 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
every time you hear leftists refer to "the rich," remember that "the rich" are also known by these other terms: employers, investors. Hate the rich if you must, but don't force them into offshore solutions.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:02 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Do you think that those who are successful in work and in life and in finances got to that point.......

........not because of hard work.

........not because of good decision-making.

........not because of they focused on both the process and the result.

........not because they paid attention to the right details.

........not because they put in what they wanted to get out.

........not because they played both their strengths and their weaknesses.

........not because they kept their instincts in check and resisted impulses.

........not because they knew they couldn't please everyone.

........not because they had an attitude of gratitude and loads of passion.

But because they had luck, and lots and lots of it?

When I read the comments on this thread and the linked Democratic Underground site, all I really see is a common theme that many believe that the key to success in America is not hard work, passion, good decisions, etc......it's merely LUCK!

Liberals revulsed by great Cadillac ad.

The key to sucess for anyone is all those things. I went out and made my own luck. If I don't do it, who will?

Ps. People would call me a flaming liberal on this site, but I think I'm somewhere in the middle on a lot of issues.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:03 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Really? Another BS "Cadillac" ad thread? If your version of "Success" is buying a Cadillac maybe I can sell you some Mary Kay products.
Those who pay for the emblem on the front of the hood are usually insecure deuchebags.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:05 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
I was lucky to be born in an upper middle class family; however, I give myself props as well for finishing school, getting my masters, getting a job, and basically not wasting what I grew up. Many people waste such a comfortable upbringing. I also began working when I was 15 so I know the value of work and never had anything just handed to me.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:06 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
You know..... there have been good and valid contributions on this thread by liberals who sometimes aren't all that intellectually honest.....and then you come along and unravel it with this tripe.

If I were someone who puts people on the Ignore List, you would be my inaugural member of the club.

Now, back to the discussion.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:07 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
If the class warriors got their wish, their wish to redistribute would become impossible. If you tax only the rich, yet you have no rich, then government collects no revenue. You can't spread wealth if there is no wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies