Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,609,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Manufacturers are not going to build vast networks to repair cars in general. Tesla wants to so I say let them but for the rest when you pull the sales, the dealer closes its doors.

Where are you going to take your car for warranty work?
You can take them to authorized/certified independent mechanics. It doesn't have to be a dealership. Today's cars don't even require oil changes until 6000 or 7500 miles, that's a couple of yrs driving for normal commuters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 02:11 PM

259 posts, read 151,074 times
Quote:
Manufacturers are not going to build vast networks to repair cars in general.
Tthey have to support their warranties, either they build dealerships or contract out to certified shops.

Quote:
Tesla wants to so I say let them but for the rest when you pull the sales, the dealer closes its doors.

Where are you going to take your car for warranty work?
I don't care. I have a warranty, it's a legal obligation of the manufacturer.
And no, dealerships wouldn't close doors, they make a killing on repairs both warranty and after warranty.

What's you say doesn't make any sense....

Old 03-12-2014, 02:19 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
You can take them to authorized/certified independent mechanics. It doesn't have to be a dealership. Today's cars don't even require oil changes until 6000 or 7500 miles, that's a couple of yrs driving for normal commuters.
Sorry, you obviously have no idea what it takes to fix today's cars. The equipment is incredibly expensive and has to be updated constantly.

Manufacturers have no desire to try and monitor a situation like this either. It would be a logistical nightmare. Besides I would prefer to discuss this with someone serious and not one who just makes things up as an arguement.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:23 PM

I think you're the one making stuff up. Manufacturers tried to get into the dealership game but were shot down by the government. I think this is one regulation we could live without as it is costing us all money.

Quote:
Sorry, you obviously have no idea what it takes to fix today's cars. The equipment is incredibly expensive and has to be updated constantly.

Manufacturers have no desire to try and monitor a situation like this either. It would be a logistical nightmare. Besides I would prefer to discuss this with someone serious and not one who just makes things up as an arguement.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
Tthey have to support their warranties, either they build dealerships or contract out to certified shops.
I'm not sure why people expect others to constantly repeat themselves. GM can't afford to build hundreds of repair facilities nor do they want the headaches of here today gone tomorrow repair shops.

Quote:
I don't care. I have a warranty, it's a legal obligation of the manufacturer.
And no, dealerships wouldn't close doors, they make a killing on repairs both warranty and after warranty.

What's you say doesn't make any sense....

Says the guy whose rebuttal is "I don't care".

Old 03-12-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I think you're the one making stuff up. Manufacturers tried to get into the dealership game but were shot down by the government. I think this is one regulation we could live without as it is costing us all money.
I explained why the laws are in place.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why people expect others to constantly repeat themselves. GM can't afford to build hundreds of repair facilities nor do they want the headaches of here today gone tomorrow repair shops.
Do you know better than GM what they want and can do?

Quote:
Says the guy whose rebuttal is "I don't care".
I don't care as the car warranty is manufacturer obligation and has nothing to do with dealers.
GM would have fix cars under warranty no matter what....

Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM

679 posts, read 613,745 times
Quote:
Do you know better than GM what they want and can do?

I don't care as the car warranty is manufacturer obligation and has nothing to do with dealers.
GM would have fix cars under warranty no matter what....
Question: Does that manufacturer's obligation have a requirement for it to be convenient to the customer themselves.

Hypothetical: The situation described occurs there are no longer normal places to get warranty fixes, GM says yeah sure you can get your fix....if you go to one of our plants where we have a mechanic on staff, the wait time is a bit long though.

Now of course people would be pissed off and probably not buy GM, but they would still meet their requirements unless there are time constraints and location constraints in the warranty. Not sure off the top of my head.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I explained why the laws are in place.

Where? When? All I see are excuses.

A 2009 study by Gerald Bodisch, an economist with the Justice Department, found that consumers would indeed save money by buying directly from a manufacturer. The study referenced the Chevrolet Celta, which buyers in Brazil have been ordering online since 2000. The Celta has been a hit, and General Motors (GM) said it benefits from reduced production time, lower inventory levels and a more efficient distribution and sales model, according to the study.

What's the point of car dealerships anymore?- MSN Money

Old 03-12-2014, 02:46 PM

Every car manufacturer knows that if that happened then they wouldn't be able to sell a single car to anybody anymore so I don't think the scenario you described is a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Question: Does that manufacturer's obligation have a requirement for it to be convenient to the customer themselves.

Hypothetical: The situation described occurs there are no longer normal places to get warranty fixes, GM says yeah sure you can get your fix....if you go to one of our plants where we have a mechanic on staff, the wait time is a bit long though.

Now of course people would be pissed off and probably not buy GM, but they would still meet their requirements unless there are time constraints and location constraints in the warranty. Not sure off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies