Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:48 AM

878 posts, read 737,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
as for the Ukraine...What the hell does this have to do with America?
We signed the 'Budapest Memorandum' in 1994. Read it.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:51 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
I think the Bumbler in Chief will threaten to put nukes in Ukraine. Bots will reflexively support this as soon as it is announced.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 AM

392 posts, read 352,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
We signed the 'Budapest Memorandum' in 1994. Read it.
Memorandum....? What was this memorandum supposed to remind people of? It does not sound like some binding treaty....My mother was from the Ukraine...and most Ukrainians do not see themselves as separate from Russia....Americans do not realize that the Ukraine is much like Texas is to the rest of America. The culture and the language is almost identical between Russia and the Ukraine...We have this notion that the Ukraine is some very separate entity...

Most Americans THINK that the Ukraine compared to Russia is like comparing Mexico to China..and China has sent in troops to subdue Mexico...it is absurd...This is all about the promise of more money for the poverty stricken Ukraine...and the EU has and is attempting to seduce the poor youth in the Ukraine with the promise of a better life....IF America is so concerned...Let Obama put his money where his mouth is - Let America send a trillion dollars to the Ukraine for starters.....I do not think he would ever do that...They want an alliance with the territory but do not want to pay for the friendship.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:09 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Memorandum....? What was this memorandum supposed to remind people of? It does not sound like some binding treaty....My mother was from the Ukraine...and most Ukrainians do not see themselves as separate from Russia....Americans do not realize that the Ukraine is much like Texas is to the rest of America. The culture and the language is almost identical between Russia and the Ukraine...We have this notion that the Ukraine is some very separate entity...

Most Americans THINK that the Ukraine compared to Russia is like comparing Mexico to China..and China has sent in troops to subdue Mexico...it is absurd...This is all about the promise of more money for the poverty stricken Ukraine...and the EU has and is attempting to seduce the poor youth in the Ukraine with the promise of a better life....IF America is so concerned...Let Obama put his money where his mouth is - Let America send a trillion dollars to the Ukraine for starters.....I do not think he would ever do that...They want an alliance with the territory but do not want to pay for the friendship.
What kind of friendship needs to be paid for? Let us mind our own business and Europe tend to their own back yard.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaraka66 View Post
Interesting that Palin believes that Obama should threaten Putin with nukes, so how may conservatives believe she is doing the right thing ?
Well, if this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Sarah Palin said "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a nuke is a good guy with a nuke."
...is true, then your thread fails in a manner most spectacular.

Quote:
Does Palin believe the USA can knock ll the Russian Nuke sites out with a first strike ?
If she does, then I doubt she could lead a Brownie Troop across the street.

Quote:
.... or is she rather ignorant about sub launched nuclear missiles ?
Think you're smart?

It would seem that both you and Palin are rather ignorant about Russian mobile ICBMs.

Now you and Palin have something new to think about...maybe you should chat her up....she sure sounds like a fun on-line date.

Quote:
There would be only one end to threatening Putin with nukes, Washington,Moscow and all other major cities in the USA and Russia glowing.
Is that what you learned from Hollywood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Gibson LP View Post
I'm not convinced she wouldn't have preemptively pushed the button just to watch it from her front porch. We got more nukes, so we would win, right?
No, you lose.

Russia only needs 2-3 warheads in the 450-kt to 750 kt range to cause the death of about 300+ Million Americans.

And the irony here is that those Americans would all die of starvation, disease, illness, by their own hand or by the hand of another American.

Quote:
Are liberals now starting to manipulate and lie like conservatives always do?
No, Liberals have the patent on that....still pending, of course.

Quote:
Sarah Palin said "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a nuke is a good guy with a nuke."

The above statement does not imply we should threaten Russia with nuclear weapons, rather it imply's that only a country with a military as strong as Russia's can stop Russia in a combat situation.
I disagree.

It is a veiled threat.

The Taliban and insurgents defeated the US in Afghanistan, disproving Palin's statement.

There's no reason to mention nuclear weapons, but then Palin does strike me as trailer-park trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Make an offer Putin can't refuse:

We'll return Texas to Mexico if you lay your hands off the Ukraine!
Um, Mexico is a federal republic, and a number of Mexican States -- about 9 including Texas --- seceded, but thanks for trying to spread propaganda and disinformation just the same.

Quote:
When I was a child I would sometimes get scared of America having a nuclear war with Russia. Perhaps my comments come from growing up an American?

I believe Palins statement was centered around something like the "stability–instability paradox" or "Nuclear weapons and deterrence", they state

"when two countries each have nuclear weapons, the probability of a direct war between them greatly decreases."

"nuclear weapons give nations the potential to not only destroy their enemies but humanity itself without drawing immediate reprisal because of the lack of a conceivable defense system and the speed with which nuclear weapons can be deployed. A nation's credible threat of such severe damage empowers their deterrence policies and fuels political coercion and military deadlock."

Stability
Deterrence theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pukipedia? And who penned that masterpiece? Some Generation Y-Puke sitting in mommy's basement?

What's the problem? Are legitimate sources above your intelligence level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And if this nuclear bluff doesnt work ? reality gonna bite hard.
Consequences of a large nuclear war | Nuclear Darkness & Nuclear Famine
Oh, yes, trot out all the propaganda knee-jerk stuff.....I just knew that was coming.

Seeing how you don't understand oils, I guess things-nuclear are out of the question for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
What did Bush do when Putin invaded Georgia? He went to the Olympics and got drunk.
Georgia is not part of your Geo-Political Strategy.
Ukraine is part of your Geo-Political Strategy.

Figure it out yet? Make sure you got your glasses on there Mr. Magoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Russia has 4,500 nuclear warheads, which is one of the reasons the US should seek a diplomatic route rather than engage in nuclear brinkmanship.
The Russians still have 1 kt and 10 kt ERWs (neutron bombs for the knee-jerkers).

I guess Palin is too damn dumb to factor that into the equation.

Why should the US insert itself into Ukrainian affairs in the first place?

Diplomatically...

Mircea

Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 AM

878 posts, read 737,397 times
Quote:

Did you read the Budapest Memorandum that President Clinton signed in 1994?

Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Should Obama threaten Putin with nukes ?

Quote:
Interesting that Palin believes that Obama should threaten Putin with nukes, so how may conservatives believe she is doing the right thing ? Does Palin believe the USA can knock ll the Russian Nuke sites out with a first strike ? or is she rather ignorant about sub launched nuclear missiles ? There would be only one end to threatening Putin with nukes, Washington,Moscow and all other major cities in the USA and Russia glowing.
The nuclear threat has been omnipresent since 1945.

Not really surprising that Palin missed that little tidbit of common knowledge, though.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:54 AM

392 posts, read 352,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What kind of friendship needs to be paid for? Let us mind our own business and Europe tend to their own back yard.
The Ukraine is not the backyard of Europe...it is the back yard of Russia.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:08 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I think the Bumbler in Chief will threaten to put nukes in Ukraine. Bots will reflexively support this as soon as it is announced.

PUTTING nukes in the Ukraine (we demanded that they remove thier own, after all, much to thier peril) is far different than USING nukes.

I would see

a. admitting the Urkaine to NATO
b. opening a nuclear missile base in Ukraine
c. joint military maneuvers with NATO in the Ukraine

would all be good ideas which would cause the Russians to stand down. Why? They are not idiots. They secured the Crimea. Do you think they would start WWIII by invading the Ukraine?

Old 03-12-2014, 10:09 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Interesting that Palin believes that Obama should threaten Putin with nukes, so how may conservatives believe she is doing the right thing ? Does Palin believe the USA can knock ll the Russian Nuke sites out with a first strike ? or is she rather ignorant about sub launched nuclear missiles ? There would be only one end to threatening Putin with nukes, Washington,Moscow and all other major cities in the USA and Russia glowing.
And if Russia hit Washington with a nuke how would that hurt the rest of the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies