Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:50 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I dont have any issue giving him a clean slate. I believed in his innocence during the trial. However, I dont see the need to make him some national hero. Go out and do something great to get famous for. As much as I believe you had a right to protect yourself, that situation was awful and you should not be a celebrity for it. Just go away and try to live a private life.
This.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:52 PM

10,713 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Joke?

Tell you what...no one's laughing now, are they?

Zimmerman damn sure isn't.
I'm pretty sure that you understand that "joke" in this context isn't a comedic joke, but rather refers to a case that has no substance.

Why don't you instead support the statement:

Quote:
If you go beyond his version, his version falls apart.

Last edited by TaxPhd; 03-13-2014 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Attributed quote to the wrong person.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:22 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I'm pretty sure that you understand that "joke" in this context isn't a comedic joke, but rather refers to a case that has no substance.

Guy with a concealed weapon pursues a guy without a weapon.

Guy without a weapon gets killed.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:

The prosecutor is a lawyer. You're not a lawyer. The prosecutor thought it had merit. You don't, but you're neither a prosecutor nor a lawyer.

All I know is that the dead guy can't personally tell his story. The living guy CAN tell his version of the story. To me, his story doesn't hold up. I'm gonna always believe that he shot the kid because the kid was more than he could handle physically. Zimmerman miscalculated...and got that butt whipped.

It happens.

So he used the gun to get the kid off that ass. I get it.

The court says he's innocent. His slate was clean from that point on.

So if you're frustrated about this whole mess any longer, blame Zimmerman...he's the one out front talking about needing a chance. I didn't attribute that statement to him.

After all...shooting the kid was "God's will," right? Why can't he just live with his decision and stop bothering everyone about his predicament?

Old 03-13-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Guy with a concealed weapon pursues a guy without a weapon.

Guy without a weapon gets killed.
Words have meaning. It makes it very difficult to have a reasonable discussion if you make up your own meanings.

Quote:
pur·sue
pərˈso͞o/
verb
verb: pursue; 3rd person present: pursues; past tense: pursued; past participle: pursued; gerund or present participle: pursuing
follow (someone or something) in order to catch or attack them. (emphasis added)
There is exactly zero evidence that Zimmerman was attempting to catch or attack Trayvon. He was in fact following (not pursuing) Zimmerman while relaying Trayvon's actions and location to the police dispatcher. When the dispatcher told him "we don't need you to do that" Zimmerman stopped following Trayvon, and headed back towards his truck.

Let me fix your last sentence for you.

Guy without a weapon violently assaults guy with weapon, and gets killed.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Words have meaning. It makes it very difficult to have a reasonable discussion if you make up your own meanings.

There is exactly zero evidence that Zimmerman was attempting to catch or attack Trayvon. He was in fact following (not pursuing) Zimmerman while relaying Trayvon's actions and location to the police dispatcher. When the dispatcher told him "we don't need you to do that" Zimmerman stopped following Trayvon, and headed back towards his truck.

Let me fix your last sentence for you.

Guy without a weapon violently assaults guy with weapon, and gets killed.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
You simply don't know any of that. You have NO IDEA what happened before they started fighting. You don't know if he pursued the kid or not. You don't know if he confronted the kid or not. You don't know if he stopped following the kid or not.

Not one single witness can buttress those claims. We have only Zimmerman's account. Why should he be believed?

Old 03-13-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The prosecutor is a lawyer. You're not a lawyer. The prosecutor thought it had merit. You don't, but you're neither a prosecutor nor a lawyer.
If you followed the case at all (and I suspect that you did) you would understand the political issues and motivations that resulted in the case being prosecuted. And if you watched the trial, you would know that my characterization of the prosecution's case as a "joke" was spot on.

Quote:
All I know is that the dead guy can't personally tell his story. The living guy CAN tell his version of the story. To me, his story doesn't hold up.
Believe whatever you want. The evidence clearly doesn't support your belief.

Quote:
I'm gonna always believe that he shot the kid because the kid was more than he could handle physically. Zimmerman miscalculated...and got that butt whipped.
Being attacked by someone that was "more than he could handle physically" and getting your head smashed into the pavement is grounds for the use of deadly force. That you don't understand that or don't like it doesn't change it.

Quote:
So if you're frustrated about this whole mess any longer, blame Zimmerman...
My only frustration is with those who willfully choose to ignore the evidence of the case, and mischaracterize what happened in an attempt to further some "Trayvon was an innocent child" agenda.

Quote:
After all...shooting the kid was "God's will," right?
I've never made that claim. And to be honest, it is a rather silly claim to make. Self defense doesn't have much to do with God's will.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:49 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why should he have to "pled for a clean slate"? He was found not guilty of any crime. He successfully defended his life from a violent attack. His "slate" is clean.
"Justice denied is merely justice delayed."

Old 03-13-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
If you followed the case at all (and I suspect that you did) you would understand the political issues and motivations that resulted in the case being prosecuted. And if you watched the trial, you would know that my characterization of the prosecution's case as a "joke" was spot on.

Believe whatever you want. The evidence clearly doesn't support your belief.

Being attacked by someone that was "more than he could handle physically" and getting your head smashed into the pavement is grounds for the use of deadly force. That you don't understand that or don't like it doesn't change it.

My only frustration is with those who willfully choose to ignore the evidence of the case, and mischaracterize what happened in an attempt to further some "Trayvon was an innocent child" agenda.

I've never made that claim. And to be honest, it is a rather silly claim to make. Self defense doesn't have much to do with God's will.
Tell Zimmerman. I'm fine with this outcome.

Every thing happened just like I thought it would anyway. He was made out to be a hero by people that were happy to see the kid get gunned down. I get it.

But now that Zimmerman is of no use anymore, the Hannitys of the world who lionized him and held him up have largely abandoned him. Now he's gotta sing for his breakfast and beg for clean slates.

I couldn't be happier nor could I have written a better ending.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:53 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
"Justice denied is merely justice delayed."
What "justice denied"? The assailant was stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies