Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:41 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
The studies are currently almost worthless. It takes some level of outting Yourself. From personal experience in numerous and wildly different cities, gay is about 10% and bi almost fifty percent. Every person in the US know it or not knows a gay or bisexual individual. I would stake my life on it.
I like how the numbers change with the message. When people were up in arms about children being around homosexuals, it was "fear not, we are only 1-2% of the population"... And now that homosexuality is more accepted, it is "we are 10% or more".

Bisexuals 1/2 the population? You are so much more than just wrong.

I know several gay folk, and have worked for many. I know hundreds of straights, and have worked for hundreds more. You obviously believe there are more gays because that's who you hang with, mostly. For straights it's the exact same thing.

I would believe the 3-4%, but it's in their interest to claim it's much higher.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:51 PM

33,548 posts, read 18,143,148 times
The gays define themselves with having sex with the same sex,, so what has that got to do with business?

Old 03-12-2014, 06:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Most credible studies indicate the total gay population is around 3-4%. That includes bisexuals and transgendered. Money is money, but most businesses could survive without them.
It's probably only an accurate indication as to the percentage of people who would admit to themselves or a pollster that they are gay or bisexual. Counting those who won't, I bet the actual number is two or three times more.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
I like how the numbers change with the message. When people were up in arms about children being around homosexuals, it was "fear not, we are only 1-2% of the population"... And now that homosexuality is more accepted, it is "we are 10% or more".

Bisexuals 1/2 the population? You are so much more than just wrong.

I know several gay folk, and have worked for many. I know hundreds of straights, and have worked for hundreds more. You obviously believe there are more gays because that's who you hang with, mostly. For straights it's the exact same thing.

I would believe the 3-4%, but it's in their interest to claim it's much higher.
I wonder how high is the percentage of married guys who get arrested for soliciting for gay sex at parks?

Old 03-12-2014, 07:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
The studies are currently almost worthless. It takes some level of outting Yourself. From personal experience in numerous and wildly different cities, gay is about 10% and bi almost fifty percent. Every person in the US know it or not knows a gay or bisexual individual. I would stake my life on it.
You must work in fashion or hair care. Your anecdotal data is meaningless.

I agree the % of the population that is gay is not universally agreed to and is difficult to measure. Many different studies though in the US show a range of 1.6%-6.2%.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
A business entity is not the same thing as the individual business owner himself. A business entity transacts with the public, and therefore has no right to deny employment or customers based on sexual orientation. A business is a conduit between the owner and the consumer and should be subject to government regulations.
What right do they have to deny employment or customers based on?

Old 03-12-2014, 07:17 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Most credible studies indicate the total gay population is around 3-4%. That includes bisexuals and transgendered. Money is money, but most businesses could survive without them.
Yup. But it is also an established fact that gay couples have more discretional income than straight couples. In both, marriage increases the income more than only living together.

With that fact in mind, if I was a baker, I would be very happy to make a gay wedding cake. It is probable that a gay wedding cake will be fancier than a straight couple's cake, as marriage is a bigger deal to gays right now. Even when anyone can get married with no problem, gay folks will still spend more money on their cakes, because they can better afford to do it.

And that would include birthday cakes, anniversary cakes, holiday cakes, and even divorce cakes. And I wouldn't have to do anything but open my doors to all and make a darned good cake.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
A business entity is not the same thing as the individual business owner himself. A business entity transacts with the public, and therefore has no right to deny employment or customers based on sexual orientation. A business is a conduit between the owner and the consumer and should be subject to government regulations.

Now, the individual owner should have every right to deny a gay person entry into their home, or to deny establishing a friendship or other human relationship. The individual also has the right to not transact with gay operated businesses as well.

A business entity has its own taxpayer ID number, separate from that of the individual and therefore should be subject to certain public democratic rules and regulations as appropriate.

Furthermore, what kind of moron business owner would want to lose revenues instead of selling something to a gay person? Sounds stupid to me.

If every business owner in America followed the hateful mentality that Arizona lawmakers have regarding business discrimination, and all LGBT people were fired because they were gay, can you imagine how high the unemployment rate would be? This means more government dependency on unemployment insurance, and less national GDP (things that conservatives hate). Why are conservatives so stupid??

In addition, since gays make up about 5-10% of the population, that means all businesses would have to lose out on 5-10% of potential revenues, if they were allowed to deny selling products and services to gays.

The list goes on.....
Gays don't make up that high of a percentage. If you define "gay" as people who identify as such openly the percent is around 1-3%. The census found that less than 1% of households are same sex.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 PM

642 posts, read 1,113,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's probably only an accurate indication as to the percentage of people who would admit to themselves or a pollster that they are gay or bisexual. Counting those who won't, I bet the actual number is two or three times more.
I did a poll here a while back and so far C-D people who participated self identified as 74% straight, 10% bi and 16% gay. I'm not sure why there was such a high percentage of gay/bi people, especially since this site doesn't seem to be particularity gay oriented.

I do think, though, that there are more gay/bi folks than are willing to admit it. And even if the population is as small as 1-3%, the population against anti-gay discrimination is much much higher.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It's not the just the gays. It's their supporters, as well.
I'm not gay but I wouldn't shop at a bakery which refused to make a wedding cake.
There are a LOT of us.
of course the opposite is also true. yes there are those that would not support a business because they refused service to gay people, but there are also those that would frequent a business that refused service to gay people. in the end all that would have to happen is that the business would have to survive the furor, and when things quieted down, the business would pick back up as long as they provided good service otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies